Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #46
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Why with the pdf format you can have the page numbers and not with prc?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #47
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Why with the pdf format you can have the page numbers and not with prc?
Probably because the PDF file has a *FIXED* number of pages (page images) and the typical ebook page count changes as the font family and size is changed. That's not to say that a 'page of... total page count' feature can't be implemented, just that it hasn't been done - yet!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 03:40 PM   #48
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Probably because the PDF file has a *FIXED* number of pages (page images) and the typical ebook page count changes as the font family and size is changed. That's not to say that a 'page of... total page count' feature can't be implemented, just that it hasn't been done - yet!

Derek
What about a ebook converted with Book designer can I insert the page numbers?
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #49
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
What about a ebook converted with Book designer can I insert the page numbers?
Why? I mean, this is formatted for an ebook, which by its very nature is not oriented towards specific page numbers for specific paragraphs. Now if you want to mark a specific image or paragraph, why not set up a bookmark or hyperlink?

Derek
Old 11-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #50
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
One obvious reason to have the pagenumber that corresponds to the numbers in the printed books is when you discus the book in a book circle. It is easier to refer to specific passages.

Another reason to have som kind of page number is if you want to read one third of the book one evening. Or if you just want to read a specific amount as I sometimes want to do when it is a boring book that I want or need to finish.

Since the total page number is available in the goto page menu it should be easy to display the current and the total page number.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2007, 05:10 PM   #51
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
tompe, you should read the discussion on page numbers and other ways to identify parts of an ebook in the Content part of the forum. Just skip over the off topic posts that unfortunately are also part of this interesting discussion.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #52
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
One obvious reason to have the pagenumber that corresponds to the numbers in the printed books is when you discus the book in a book circle. It is easier to refer to specific passages.

Another reason to have som kind of page number is if you want to read one third of the book one evening. Or if you just want to read a specific amount as I sometimes want to do when it is a boring book that I want or need to finish.

Since the total page number is available in the goto page menu it should be easy to display the current and the total page number.
Tompe,

But again, that doesn't make sense. If you prefer Berling Antiqua font at font level 5 and I prefer Verdana at font level 7, your 'page 255' is going to be *pages* away from *my* 'page 255'. So no, that's not reason enough.

Derek
Old 11-12-2007, 04:43 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Derek
A reflowable format can have page numbers. BBeB has page numbers. At the bottom of the screen it shows (for example) 10 of 123. And the page numbers do change accordingly when you change the font size. Also, when you go to the internal ToC, you do see page numbers as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It certainly can have page numbers, but I think that what Derek is saying is that on a machine such as the Gen3, which allows you to view the text in a limitless range of different fonts and text sizes, those page numbers cannot be sensibly used to refer to a particular point in the text, which is what tompe was suggesting. It's different on the Sony Reader where the user can't change the font, and there are only three text sizes available.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:09 AM   #55
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It certainly can have page numbers, but I think that what Derek is saying is that on a machine such as the Gen3, which allows you to view the text in a limitless range of different fonts and text sizes, those page numbers cannot be sensibly used to refer to a particular point in the text, which is what tompe was suggesting. It's different on the Sony Reader where the user can't change the font, and there are only three text sizes available.
I was suggesting two things. The easy way to just display the page number would be useful and it does not matter that it changes when I changes font size. If I would like to read one tenth of a book I can easily do that having the current page number and the total number of pages. Now it is not so easy to read a specific amount of the book.

The other thing was to have real page numbers (displayed for example in the margin) corresponding to the printed version. That is not only useful in academic situations as discussed in the thread about this but useful when discussing the book with friends.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:13 AM   #56
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How can you read a book without a knowledge what page you are on and how many pages there are in total?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 AM   #57
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
How can you read a book without a knowledge what page you are on and how many pages there are in total?
There is a progress bar so you know approximately where you are in the book.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 AM   #58
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
There is a progress bar so you know approximately where you are in the book.
I see.
I hope they will add page numbers as well. Quite often I go to TOC and look how many pages left till the end of the chapter to decide on the course of my action ...turn the lights off and go to sleep for example or something like that.
Page numbers are very important part of my reading experience. However, I understand that many people don't care. Like some people want to have a clock and I cannot stand the idea of haveing time in fron of my eyes all the time when I read.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #59
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
I see.
I hope they will add page numbers as well. Quite often I go to TOC and look how many pages left till the end of the chapter to decide on the course of my action ...turn the lights off and go to sleep for example or something like that.
Page numbers are very important part of my reading experience. However, I understand that many people don't care. Like some people want to have a clock and I cannot stand the idea of haveing time in fron of my eyes all the time when I read.
Interesting. I've never considered page numbers integral/important to my reading enjoyment of a novel. However, as others have said, *IF* I were reading along with a group of people or studying a text for reference purposes, I'd definitely *want* page numbers.

As for deciding whether to read on or sleep... as the Cybook draws so little power, I usually just place it on my nightstand and turn off the lights wherever I am in the book.

Derek
Old 11-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #60
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Actually, pagenumbers in reflowable formats are quite complex. You have to either render the whole book to know, how many pages there are, or do an educated guess. I would like to see something like a fixed pagenumber. Best if it would correlate to the printed book, and then have subpagenumbers on the reflowable format.

Opps, guess we are OT here, arent we. Well, i am looking forward to finally gt one of those CyBooks in my hands.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote