Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-06-2007, 02:22 AM   #16
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Yes I agree. Low light readability will depend on the contrast, i.e. the difference in brightness between brightest white and darkest black. White is white is also a little misleading. We call many things white but generally white is something that reflects a high proportion of the light striking it and all wavelengths equally. Some things are whiter than others is what I am trying to say in my clumsy fashion.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Looks nice. But, that packaging isn't very "green" is it. Seems like alot of wasted space in that box!
They use the same box for the basic and deluxe packages. It's a lot "fuller" with the Deluxe package.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Thanks Robert. The leather cover looks much better than the prs500 one. How is the readability in low light situation considering it's just 4 gray level and not 8 like prs505?
The readability is excellent. I can comfortably read the Gen3 in light levels in which I'd need a reading light with the PRS500. Comparing the PRS500 and Gen3 side by side, the Gen3's screen is a lot "whiter", hence better contrast between the black text and the background. I'll try and post a "side by side" photo when I get home from work tonight.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:08 AM   #19
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks. Though what I would really like to see is a side by side comparison with the 505...
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Thanks. Though what I would really like to see is a side by side comparison with the 505...
They would look identical - for text, at least. It's the same screen.

The 505 should, in theory, show slightly more detail in graphical images, since it has 8 grey-scales rather than the 4 of the Gen3, but I very much doubt that you'll see any practical difference. I don't see any real difference between the appearance of images on the 4-grey-scale 500 compared to the 16-grey-scale iLiad - the dithering algorithm does a good job of "synthesizing" extra grey scales.
Advert
Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #21
tcmoon
Connoisseur
tcmoon is on a distinguished road

Device: slate pc
cant get book recognized as a reading device in mobipocket! shows as a storage device.
tcmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #22
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Do you have the latest version?
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmoon View Post
cant get book recognized as a reading device in mobipocket! shows as a storage device.
Please don't post the same question to multiple threads. I've answered you in the "Problem Reports" thread.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 AM   #24
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What I am most curious is side by side prs-505 and cybook. To compare their whitness, but I guess it is next to impossible to obtain because no one who recently bought 505 will also buy cybook.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #25
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
What I am most curious is side by side prs-505 and cybook. To compare their whitness, but I guess it is next to impossible to obtain because no one who recently bought 505 will also buy cybook.
Harry might
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #26
Robert1325
Enthusiast
Robert1325 began at the beginning.

Device: Paper, Cybook g3
I took the cybook on the train and underground today, had no problems reading in different light conditions. Some paperback books are more difficult to read. I would not take the reader with me without the leather case. it's just to thin and the screen is not protected without the leather case.
Robert1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 PM   #27
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Great! I got the email notification of shipping this morning, and this evening the package was waiting for me at a neighbour's appartment. Of course, I'm in Paris, so it just had to cross the town to get to me.

Opening the package, I was impressed by the thinness of the Cybook Gen3. And it's no heavier than a paperback. But it feels sturdy enough to be used as an everyday reader, not just as a hi-tech toy. Though I wouldn't put it in a travel bag without its leather case, too.

I had no problem charging the battery, using the charger included in the Deluxe pack. Charging time is about 3 hours, that way.

Booting the reader, I was very to navigate and read. A few e-books were already available in the reader's internal memory, which was a nice surprise. I don't think I saw a mention of that on Bookeen's website, anyway! Included are two recent SF e-books: Charles Stross's novel "Accelerando", Cory Doctorow's novella "I, Robot"; plus a few public domain e-books in French and English, and previews from a dozen of Mobipocket e-books, from "Da Vinci Code" to Clinton's autobiography to "Internet for Dummies".

The one sheet quick start notice (in French and English) is very clear and useful, but I couldn't find the complete user's manual in e-book format that it said would be in the reader's memory. It's a little annoying, but at least, that didn't keep me from using the reader, because once you have it in hand, navigation is quite intuitive. The buttons on the side are neatly incised with icons depicting their use (switch to the music library, go, back to the general menu, etc.), too.

I had no problem exchanging files with my computer, too. The Cybook and the SD card in it were quickly recognized as external volumes by Ubuntu.

All in all, I'm glad I bought it. The ability to hold a whole library in a device the size of a single book is just what I needed.

Just one thing, though: if you have small hands, be careful to hold the device in both hands to read! In some photos I've seen on the Net, it was a man with big hands holding the Cybook.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:36 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I am a bit surprised by this sort of question. There is no reason for the number of gray scale levels to influence the brightness of the display or readability. White is White no matter how many grays there are. Cybook has 16 levels of gray but achieve the rest by dithering which is done quite well from the test that have been posted. It might be worth reading how e-ink is accomplished on their web site if this is confusing.

Dale
The Gen3 has 4 levels of gray because of the controller being used. The only eink device that has 16 shades is the iLiad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
What I am most curious is side by side prs-505 and cybook. To compare their whiteness, but I guess it is next to impossible to obtain because no one who recently bought 505 will also buy cybook.
They should be the same as the 505 and Gen3 both use the same 6" Vizplex screen. The only difference is that the 505 achieves eight shades and the Gen3 four due to different controllers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #30
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
I am still charging mine from USB interface, so didn't play for too long.
Again, dimensions are nice - bigger than PDAs but smaller than laptops. Very thin, really cool and light of course.

Matte finish is great, although it shows you how dirty your hands are very quickly

Interface is very intuitive. Nice to see arrows adjust to all the portrait/landscape/flip combinations. I copied a mix of literature and technical docs, so I'll play with it tonight and tomorrow. As we are reviewing some docs at work, I'll try it for my work as well (including diagrams and such).

So far I am very impressed. To be balanced, there is one minor problem I found with the buttons (Ok and arrows). They are rather close to each other so I already pressed Ok by accident (when I wanted down arrow). Also they require a fair bit of pressure. Since the device is so thin, I try to place another finger underneath when pressing buttons to reduce pressure on the frame (avoid twisting it). It is not a big deal. Just have to be careful when using them. Also I wonder why +/- don't function as page up/down when not using audio functions? If audio is not active then these buttons are disabled, so might as well activate them for page up/down.
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote