Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Derek if you take the text file, load it into BD and convert titles and subtitles to paragraphs and output it to LRF and it worked fine. Same could be done to PRC as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #47
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Derek if you take the text file, load it into BD and convert titles and subtitles to paragraphs and output it to LRF and it worked fine. Same could be done to PRC as well.

I prefer leaving the titles, subtitles, beginning-of-chapter hard-page-breaks in place. So, even after Ebook Tidy I have a bit of clean-up. Takes me about 15 minutes per ebook file. Not bad, really.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #48
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I have done this. Lord knows I have enough TXT files laying around. And, if I choose for hard-returned line length, then the font size is a bit too small for me when I'm using my distance glasses - but quite decent with my reading glasses. This is, of course, in Portrait mode. In Landscape mode, the problem of too-tiny font size goes away.

However, I've found that Ebook Tidy does a really good job of eliminating these in-paragraph hard-returns and it's free to use. Oh sure, there will be *some* editing involved, but not nearly as much as cleaning these TXT files up by hand.

Derek
So you're telling us that the Gutenberg texts (like the one I posted) do indeed display exactly as-is with the mid-line breaks and not any better than the Sony? I just want to be clear on these things before making a purchasing decision.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #49
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenny View Post
So you're telling us that the Gutenberg texts (like the one I posted) do indeed display exactly as-is with the mid-line breaks and not any better than the Sony? I just want to be clear on these things before making a purchasing decision.
If you're not going to take out the hard line breaks inside the paragraphs and you choose a font size that doesn't display 80+ characters per line, then, yes.

However, many of these PG files are in HTML format and can be run through BD or Mobigen and turned into PRC files without any real problem. Just a matter of a couple of minutes effort. And the number of current Mobi titles is far greater than those available for the PRS. If you want a Sony, then go for a Sony... But I like my Cybook.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #50
jbenny
Addict
jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jbenny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Tablet PC and Nokia N800
Quote:
If you're not going to take out the hard line breaks inside the paragraphs and you choose a font size that doesn't display 80+ characters per line, then, yes.

However, many of these PG files are in HTML format and can be run through BD or Mobigen and turned into PRC files without any real problem. Just a matter of a couple of minutes effort. And the number of current Mobi titles is far greater than those available for the PRS. If you want a Sony, then go for a Sony... But I like my Cybook.

Derek
Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I'm leaning towards a Cybook, myself. I just wanted to get some additional information before purchasing.
jbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 AM   #51
zandor
zandor is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook G3 (in order)
question, where exactly is the font folder?
in the root? under system?
zandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #52
thydere
thydere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Can one of those who already have a Cybook please do me a favor in downloading this pdf display it at the Cybook and post a photo of how it is rendered?

The pdf contains the index of a digital edition of the Spiegel, which is one of the newspapers i'd like to read at this device.

thanks
thydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:16 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Derek
Actually, using ConvertLIT and lit2lrf you get many many many books available and the conversions are easy. Plus you still have the books from the Connect Shop as well. So I don't see how mobipocket has an advantage in this case. In fact, converting MS Reader to LRF is easier then converting a PG text.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thydere View Post
Can one of those who already have a Cybook please do me a favor in downloading this pdf display it at the Cybook and post a photo of how it is rendered?

The pdf contains the index of a digital edition of the Spiegel, which is one of the newspapers i'd like to read at this device.

thanks
I do not think that PDF is going to display well on a 6" screen be it the Gen3 or the 505. The best device for displaying that PDF is the iLiad.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #55
andym
Groupie
andym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-booksandym has learned how to read e-books

Quote:

Derek
But why would you want to run them through either? Mobipocket (and therefore I assume the Bookeen reader) does a perfectly reasonable job of displaying html. There's no particular advantage to having a prc beyond possibly a smaller file size and a TOC. I prefer to have my ebooks in html as so I can convert them to epub at some point.

It's also fairly straightforward to get rid of the carriage returns in PG texts. Or to convert Lit to html. HTML is the new ascii.
andym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #56
zandor
zandor is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook G3 (in order)
for the one who wanted to see the pdf file on the cybook

remember the photo's were made with a compact digicam, under bad lighting (high iso) out of the hand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	7058   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	7059  
zandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #57
Robert1325
Enthusiast
Robert1325 began at the beginning.

Device: Paper, Cybook g3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thydere View Post

thanks
You can get the newspaper spiegel as RSS, via the mobipocket reader program. So it'll be allright
Robert1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM   #58
thydere
thydere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks zandor, these pictures show pretty much what I wanted to see. I think i'm in love... *off ordering a cybook*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1325 View Post
You can get the newspaper spiegel as RSS, via the mobipocket reader program. So it'll be allright
The RSS Feed is only about the additional daily News (freely available online), the "real" newspaper (the one with the much longer and more thoroughly written articles) is either sold as a hardcopy or as a softcopy pdf.

And using the Mobipocket Compiler (the desktop software used to collect the RSS Feed into a mobipocket ebook) is out of question anyway as I am using a mac.
I think I'm going to either write or use one of the already existing scripts to transform RSS Feeds into HTML and automatically put it on the cybook every morning so I can read them on my way to work...

Anyway thanks again for you help.
thydere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:55 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Take a look at what pdflrf can do to that PDF for the Sony Reader PRS-505. I know the black came out a little bit more bluish then it should have, but it is quite readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0155.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	7060   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0157.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	7061  
Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #60
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Does anybody knows how to add new fonts?

I made 'Font' directory in the root and put some fonts in there. When I do that I can select Font Family from the menu, but I cannot select anything. I don't even see the original font names
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote