Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-30-2007, 05:16 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
It presupposes that someone would want to read a DRM'd book.

There are 4 formats that Cybook supports:
txt - not DRM'd.
html - not DRM'd
pdb - either not DRM'd, or DRM'd in eReader format, which is not supported.
prc - DRM'd, requiring Mobipocket software, which is Windows-only.

Why does the epublishing industry want to prevent me from putting the titles I've purchased onto a portable device? I'd like to be a good citizen, but this behavior on the part of the industry encourages piracy.
One place here where you are very wrong is about the PRC DRM format. While there is no software for
OS X to view DRM laden mobi format. you can still purchase and download such using your MAC. All you need is the PID from the Gen3 to input to the site to then download the Mobi file. The mobi file can be copied to the gen3 and read fine. When you plug the Gen3 into the USB port, it is seen as a USB mass storage device. So there should not be any problem copying the PRC file (full of DRM goodness) on to the the Gen3 to then use the Gen3 to read this book. So being able to purchase and read Mobi format books with the Gen3 does not need Windows based software.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:03 PM   #17
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
yup already doing it all just fine on the iRex (that i want to sell!)

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

txt - not DRM'd.
html - not DRM'd

Why does the epublishing industry want to prevent me from putting the titles I've purchased onto a portable device? I'd like to be a good citizen, but this behavior on the part of the industry encourages piracy.
PDB is not eReader format. The PDB supported by Cybook is the Palm Doc format which MobiPocket also supports. There is no DRM for that format. I would certainly like to see them support eReader in non-DRM but I suspect there is a license restriction from MobiPocket on the DRM support requiring them to only support MobiPocket DRM. But this is only conjecture based on data on the iLiad.

They also support PDF in non-DRM format. And they say other formats are coming.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
PDB is not eReader format. The PDB supported by Cybook is the Palm Doc format which MobiPocket also supports.
Actually, you're correct and incorrect at the same time.

PDB, or Pilot DataBase format is a wrapper, all sorts of different file types can go inside it, including Mobi, eReader, Palm Doc and a passel of others. PRC (I don't know what that one stands for beyond Pilot Something Something), is sorta the same deal, It's usually an executable, but sometimes it's not. Some Mobi Files are PRC, I think, and I remember having some Palm Doc and eReader files that were PRC's too.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm perfectly happy to read DRM content personally.

Quote:

txt - not DRM'd.
html - not DRM'd

Sorry, I really don't follow your argument. You certainly do not require any Windows software to buy Mobipocket DRM-protected books. They can be bought and downloaded from the web site of any Mobipocket retailer; all you need is the MobiPocket ID of your reading device which you enter into the seller's website to allow you to download the book. Once you've download the book onto your Mac (or whatever) you can transfer it to the CyBook via its USB connection.

The MobiPocket Windows desktop reader can act as a "Librarian" and as a "front end" to the various Mobi stores, but you certainly do not have to use it. I don't use it to buy books myself - I buy them directly from the seller's web site (I generally buy from Fictionwise).

The only facility that the Windows software gives you that's not available on other platforms is the ability to read RSS feeds. That's of zero interest to me personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 AM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

PDB, or Pilot DataBase format is a wrapper, all sorts of different file types can go inside it, including Mobi, eReader, Palm Doc and a passel of others. PRC (I don't know what that one stands for beyond Pilot Something Something), is sorta the same deal, It's usually an executable, but sometimes it's not. Some Mobi Files are PRC, I think, and I remember having some Palm Doc and eReader files that were PRC's too.
How can I be right and wrong and the same time? I stated the format on the Cybook which is correct. You added some information about general PDB which I already knew. you can read the exact details of PDB in the wiki where I generated the table of values and tuned the description. You can also read about PDB/PRC on my web site in the article on ebooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:30 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm perfectly happy to read DRM content personally.
I think he mean that he wanted to read DRM formats, and that the Cybook's support for them is limited.

Quote:
How can I be right and wrong and the same time? I stated the format on the Cybook which is correct. You added some information about general PDB which I already knew.
I think I misunderstood what you meant by:
Quote:
The PDB supported by Cybook is the Palm Doc format which MobiPocket also supports.
I think I thought you were saying that PDB is Mobi, which would not be correct, but it's also not what you actually said. Sorry 'bout that -- I didn't read it as carefully as I should have.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #23
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
For me, DRM is a disincentive to buy an e-book! I either download public domain and Creative Commons titles, or buy DRM-free e-books from the publishers and e-stores who sell them. I've already spent nearly 100 $ with Baen Books and the Fictionwise Multiformat catalog...

So I'm fine with the Cybook!
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #24
bwit
Huh?
bwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litterbwit doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Kindle
should I or shouldnt I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

NatCh is correct - a PDB file may contain thousands of different data formats. Basically a Palm only supports two types of files:

.PDB - Palm Database - used by applications to store data.
.PRC - Palm Resource - used to store data in resource segments.

A resource database may be used to store executable code, data, or both.

A Palm file may be identified only by examining the contents. Each file contains a Creator ID and a File Type. The Creator ID is a 4 character string registered by a developer with Palm and identifies the application that created the file. The file type is another 4 character string selected by the application developer to allow a single application to support multiple file types.

Quite a while ago I created a Windows Explorer shell program to dynamically display the type of a PDB file by hovering the cursor over it in Windows Explorer. I will attach it to this posting in case anyone here uses Windows and is interested. It would be pretty easy to create something like this that could be run from a command line and support multiple OS's - let me know if anyone is interested.

Regards,
Bob
Attached Files
File Type: zip PdbInfo-1_0.zip (72.0 KB, 369 views)

Last edited by bwit; 11-10-2007 at 10:26 AM.
bwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #25
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:

txt - not DRM'd.
html - not DRM'd
Five, actually! The Cybook also supports the non DRM'd PDF files.

Or six if you count the non DRM'd Mobipocket file format (extension prc or mobi), which the Cybook supports.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote