Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
should I or shouldnt I?

Firstly could someone confirm what I think i know already (!) that as I'm on a Macbook the Cybook will appear as an added drive just as with my irex?

I took the plunge in August for the iRex iLiad reader and have thoroughly enjoyed using it. The big downside is though the battery life, when I'm reading a lot (which I do quite often) then I need to charge it up daily. I also use none of the 'extra' things that the iRex does so I'm considering getting the Cybook instead.

The Cybook is noticeably cheaper (largely as it doesnt have the iRex's bells and whistles) but it is still more than I 'should' be spending! (hubby would definitely agree! lol)

Wondering if anyone knows of a place to sell e-readers? .. if i can sell my iRex I can get a Cybook.

Thanks!
Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:54 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try the Flea Market here to put up an advert for your iLiad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Robert1325
Enthusiast
Robert1325 began at the beginning.

Device: Paper, Cybook g3
ebay works ok
Robert1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
Firstly could someone confirm what I think i know already (!) that as I'm on a Macbook the Cybook will appear as an added drive just as with my irex?
That's correct, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4

thanks all .. will check out the flea market and then if no joy will pop onto ebay ..
thanks Harry also for the info about getting content onto it ..

the Cybook certainly looks awesome!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
Until eReader pdb files are supported, there's no compelling reason for a Mac user to buy a Cybook. It's just as crippled as a Sony.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:29 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Until eReader pdb files are supported, there's no compelling reason for a Mac user to buy a Cybook. It's just as crippled as a Sony.
I do not understand this comment. So for a Linux user there is no compelling reason to buy a Cybook either then?

The fact that the Cybook supports a lot of formats natively and the companys stated policy in this respect was one important reason for me to but a Cybook.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Doesn't that rather assume that MacUsers only read e-books in eReader .PDB format?

I suspect that MacUser who aren't heavily invested in eReader .PDB books might find any number of reasons to buy a Cybook.

But I'm not a MacUser, and I don't read in eReader .PDB format (not since I got my Sony Reader, anyway. ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Last time I checked there were a lot of files available in HTML that as I remember a Mac like the Cybook can also read. Plus the Cybook like the iRex can read Mobipocket files. As almost all of the recent files posted for download at MobileRead are in Mobipocket (in addition to LRF for the Sony) there is a wealth of available reading material for the Cybook. Many throughout the world have, like Harry, settled on Mobipocket as their standard for ebooks. (I even use it on my Palm powered cell phone even though I have a Sony Reader.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Egghead
Mentat

It presupposes that someone would want to read a DRM'd book.

There are 4 formats that Cybook supports:
txt - not DRM'd.
html - not DRM'd
pdb - either not DRM'd, or DRM'd in eReader format, which is not supported.
prc - DRM'd, requiring Mobipocket software, which is Windows-only.

Why does the epublishing industry want to prevent me from putting the titles I've purchased onto a portable device? I'd like to be a good citizen, but this behavior on the part of the industry encourages piracy.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Last time I checked there were a lot of files available in HTML that as I remember a Mac like the Cybook can also read. Plus the Cybook like the iRex can read Mobipocket files. As almost all of the recent files posted for download at MobileRead are in Mobipocket (in addition to LRF for the Sony) there is a wealth of available reading material for the Cybook. Many throughout the world have, like Harry, settled on Mobipocket as their standard for ebooks. (I even use it on my Palm powered cell phone even though I have a Sony Reader.)
Unfortunately MobiPocket does not support a MAC. It is one of the few OS's that are not supported but they should be able to easily do it if they really wanted to. EReader is one of the few eBook formats that does mac so to share books between the two platforms you have to limit the choices.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It presupposes that someone would want to read a DRM'd book.
Oh! Well why didn't you just say so? Now I understand what you're saying.

Quote:
Why does the epublishing industry want to prevent me from putting the titles I've purchased onto a portable device? I'd like to be a good citizen, but this behavior on the part of the industry encourages piracy.
That's getting into the e-Babel issue, which is a huge can of worms.

I found myself wondering the other day when the music industry (not the same thing, but it's related due to DRM) shifted from just wanting to get anyone they could to hear music so that they would buy what they enjoyed, to wanting to make sure they get paid every time anyone heard any song, whether they liked it or not.

Somewhere along the line, that shift occurred, and it's only made things nasty and painful for all concerned.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Oh! Well why didn't you just say so? Now I understand what you're saying.

That's getting into the e-Babel issue, which is a huge can of worms.

I found myself wondering the other day when the music industry (not the same thing, but it's related due to DRM) shifted from just wanting to get anyone they could to hear music so that they would buy what they enjoyed, to wanting to make sure they get paid every time anyone heard any song, whether they liked it or not.

Somewhere along the line, that shift occurred, and it's only made things nasty and painful for all concerned.
I agree. you can't even sing Happy Birthday these days since someone will try and get you to pay for the privilege.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
Egghead
Mentat

Good insight, NatCh, and I agree.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:07 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wish I had some idea of what use to make of the insight.