Notices

Old 06-16-2023, 11:32 AM   #1
z537815
Enthusiast
z537815 began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo TB-X704F
<a href="....."> with relative file URL

Greetings.

I have a map containing an Epub and a series of MP3s, and I would like to refer to these MP3-files from within the Epub.

I know how to do that with an absolute file URL, but I don't want that. I want to be able to move this whole map to another device, without having to respecify my urls.

So I need relative file URLs. However, no matter what I specify the path it seems to follow is incorrect. I must be overlooking something, but what?

Btw, I'm using ADE ro read this Epub. Don't know if that matters.

thx for any info.

Willem V
z537815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:30 PM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by z537815 View Post
I have a map containing an Epub and a series of MP3s
Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean here.
What do you mean by you have a map? A geographic map? Something else?
Are the mp3's embedded in the epub?
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 05:55 PM   #3
z537815
Enthusiast

With "map" I mean "folder" / (sub)directory. This directory contains an epub and a series of MP3-files. The MP3s are not included in the Epub.

From a page in this epub I would like to refer to a MP3 using a link specifying a relative file URL in a <a>-tag. This way I can play an MP3 when I click on a picture.

My problem is: how do I specify the file URLin the HREF of the <a>? I know how to do this with an absolute file-URL, but this would tie me to a specific path on my - local - drive, and I don't want that.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:24 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I think your mp3 files need to be in the epub file (which is a zip file with certain requirements for the files inside),
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:46 PM   #5
z537815
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think your mp3 files need to be in the epub file (which is a zip file with certain requirements for the files inside),
I thought of that, but it would make the epub even bigger than it already is. It's a Korean picture dictionary (lots of pictures), accompanied by 39 MP3-files that would add another 60+MB to the epub. But if I must, then I must.
Old 06-16-2023, 09:14 PM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The topic of external links comes up every so often. What I remember from the last time is that it is device/app/OS dependent on whether support for external links is provided. In addition, if you are trying to sell/publish an ePub it’s not recommended to use external resources because of the (good?) chance of those resources not being available at some point for some reason.

If it is for personal use, then you can point the url to a publicly accessible folder that you can serve from - Dropbox, iCloud, etc.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:57 PM   #7
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I found this sample book as a helpful example. But like turtle91 stated, whether it works depends on the reader..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...56#post4143856
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 08:58 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
An app or webpage is far better for this kind of thing than an epub.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
z537815
Enthusiast

I decided to include the MP3s in the Epub and to access them with <audio></audio>. This works and doesn't look bad at all.

I think I'll just leave it at that.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
href, html code, relative url