Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Difference betwen 1st and 2nd gen Iliad?

I just realised that there is a gen 2 of the Iliad.
I am having trouble finding out information about what was improved.
Can anybody tell me or point me in the right direction?
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
I just realised that there is a gen 2 of the Iliad.
I am having trouble finding out information about what was improved.
Can anybody tell me or point me in the right direction?
2nd generation has improved battery and slightly different housing. It's available for at least 2 years now. I've myself actually never seen the 1st generation.
There's the "Book edition" as well. That's the 2nd generation minus WLAN capabilities. In my opinion, WLAN more or less is useless. There's no connection to a bookstore and there won't be any further firmware updates to download. So you just could upload eBooks from your PC, browse the web or read newsfeeds.
The "Book edition" is significantly cheaper and does its job...
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In my opinion, WLAN more or less is useless.

The "Book edition" is significantly cheaper and does its job...

Thanks for the info - I think I understand the situation with the Iliad now.

Totally agree with you that WLAN is a useless gimmick for an eBook reader. A person would have to be very lazy or stupid not to be able to use USB or similar for the transfers.. And I can't imagine a situation where I'd need a book so urgently that it can't wait until I get home, or to a WIFI enabled laptop.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Distributors in China still sell iLiad 1st generation.

Why not wait for DR800? Even iLiad book edition is no cheaper than DR800.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
capabilities. In my opinion, WLAN more or less is useless. There's no connection to a bookstore and there

In italy the wlan can be used to download everyday the 'La Stampa' newspaper, via simplicissimus book farm.

f.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post

Thanks Ericshliao

Yes that's what I have decided to do. I only just found out about that model.

Small issue is how to get hold of it in the Europe; hopefully it will become available instantly on eBay and I can order there. Promotion material is saying that DR800 only will be available at a chain called "BestBuy" and they appear to have a very strict policy about deliveries abroad. They won't even ship to mail forwarding companies.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Small issue is how to get hold of it in the Europe
Just wait 6 months... let them Americans test it for us...
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post

How much with the DR800 cost? All Irex stuff seems to be like a bajillion dollars.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
How much with the DR800 cost?
$399 I think.

Quote:
All Irex stuff seems to be like a bajillion dollars.
Keep in mind that iRex has always been in the business market, where prices are generally much higher. This is the first device they have offered that has been specifically targeted at the consumer market.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
$399 I think.

Keep in mind that iRex has always been in the business market, where prices are generally much higher. This is the first device they have offered that has been specifically targeted at the consumer market.
Interesting. They do seems to have a higher grade to them so I can't knock them on that regard. The promising to release features down the line is kind of weak.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote