Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
OAXIS - The new ebook reader

Hello,

I just found this page and maybe you would like to have a look: http://myoaxis.com/features.html.

It seems to be a new type of e-ink based ebook reader with these specifications:

Screen: High Quality LG 6.0 inch (800x600) SVGA EPD (LB060S01) INK Panel
Display Controller: Epson S1D13521
Processor: Arm 9 Core (Samsung S3C2440)
Operating System: Linux 2.6
RAM Memory: SDRAM 32MB
Battery: Li-ON 800mAh ~ 1000mAh
Battery Life: 6000 Screen Refresh (3 Months-500p / week)
I/O Connectivity: 3.5mm Stereo Audio Jack for Earphone / USB Port (2.0) / HS USB Client Built-in WIFI, IEEE802.11b & g (Optional)
Internal Memory Support: 1GB / 2GB / 4GB / 8GB / 16GB (up to 80k books)
External Memory Support: SD Card (up to 32GB, support SDHC)
Text Format: PDF, DOC, MP3, HTML, TXT, CHM, FB2, Djvu, PNG, TIF, GIF, BMP, JPEG, EPUB, RTF, Support Cyrillics
Audio Formats: MP3 (32kbps-384kbps) / WMA (32kbps-192kbps) / WAV
Font Size Changing Function: 3 Sizes
Functions: Folder Search, Auto-Resume, Book Mark, Favourite, Book Search, Music folder, Picture Viewer, etc.
Language Supported: English / French / Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional / Japanese / Russian
Grey Scale: Up to 16 level

There is a video too on youtube:

I haven't seen any other news related to this device but maybe some of you have some more information.

Last edited by Burliburd; 06-12-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
A little digging reveals that this is a product devised by Gajah International, a company based in the National University of Singapore. The website was acquired in May this year, and they've been demonstrating at trade shows in Taipei and Hong Kong. They're an industrial design outfit with a number of nice looking product concepts over the last two or three years, but I can't find much evidence of any physical products (yet).

As far as I understand, the LG display is still essentially an e-Ink Visplex film based screen, so pretty much identical to the other 6" ebooks currently available. It certainly looks like a nice product and the possibility of WiFi is good. The question has to be... when and how much?
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
that is a very sleek and nicely designed case. One of the better to date.

Now about the display. Why is LG using a different name for the tech? Is LG actually making their own now or is it still just the eink display? Whatever that is a much whiter display than others I've seen, but then again I've said that before and it turns out it's a trick of their lighting and how the images are edited.

But that sort of device is why I am telling people who ask me about readers to wait 2-4 months and even a bit longer if they can. By q1 of next year we'll have sub-$150 5" readers and $250 10" devices as well. All with at least two different display techs.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
that is a very sleek and nicely designed case. One of the better to date.

Now about the display. Why is LG using a different name for the tech? Is LG actually making their own now or is it still just the eink display? Whatever that is a much whiter display than others I've seen, but then again I've said that before and it turns out it's a trick of their lighting and how the images are edited.

But that sort of device is why I am telling people who ask me about readers to wait 2-4 months and even a bit longer if they can. By q1 of next year we'll have sub-$150 5" readers and $250 10" devices as well. All with at least two different display techs.
But I don't want to wait till next year! But you do have a point. The problem is, there will always be a better/cheaper one on the horizon...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

while what you say about something better always being on the horizon, with new emerging tech and their undefined marketplace, that adage does not really apply. Right now is a saddle point for the market where it will likely evolve into a market with a much greater number of solid choices instead of the current market with a handful of devices which are actually useful. Even those are quite limited in their maturity for tasks beyond casual reading. For that they are greatly over priced. Or the market could spin out into an anecdote due to limitations of the displays (I doubt this will happen thanks goodness!! ).

The idea of always something better really only holds for markets with a large number mature well designed devices. Laptops and MP3 players are areas where you really need to try and find a truly awful device so waiting has no point if the device is wanted/needed now. An ereading device is not a must have sort of device and the market is far from stabilized.

As an example I think we are beginning to see the emergence of a big backlash over the much wanted large format reader in the KDX. But is trending toward it being a rushed to market not fully gestated design, far from ready for market. Several here have already found some important problems with the ergonomics as well as some hardware concerns which require compromise.

OTH, most seem really pleased with the display over the K2...so maybe something was learned...eink displays might look to have poor contrast to many of us because their design is actually a poor one for small displays and a larger panel is much cleaner and easier for reading. Which is my point, this is still a mid-beta period for device design.

Waiting those 2-4 months could save as much as 50% on the cost of a reader that brings a more to the table. And for sure better devices if one waits a just tad longer.

Right now there is not a single ereading device which I find compelling in any way. Too many compromises. Price the same devices at $150 or less and it begins to be OK to look at a device which simply reads small format books. But $300+ even with the wireless of the Kindle is not worth it...except as a special treat if you have the cash and really love reading. I am just not in a hurry to reward the pushing of beta class devices anymore.

For me I am waiting on what will develop from the 3Qi displays and who knows what else might come along at the same time.
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
while what you say about something better always being on the horizon, with new emerging tech and their undefined marketplace, that adage does not really apply.

<snip>

Waiting those 2-4 months could save as much as 50% on the cost of a reader that brings a more to the table. And for sure better devices if one waits a just tad longer.
You even say yourself that there's something better on the horizon! Right now, we've only the "traditional" e-ink devices, but better screens are on the horizon (those 3Qi screens). Screens are getting larger, response times are getting better (at least, that's what I understood about that Epson controller), more gray-scales, eventually maybe even colour.

It's only a starting technology and that usually takes some time to get up. But once it's going into the mainstream I think the development will start picking up too.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You even say yourself that there's something better on the horizon! Right now, we've only the "traditional" e-ink devices, but better screens are on the horizon (those 3Qi screens). Screens are getting larger, response times are getting better (at least, that's what I understood about that Epson controller), more gray-scales, eventually maybe even colour.

It's only a starting technology and that usually takes some time to get up. But once it's going into the mainstream I think the development will start picking up too.
of course I did...that was the entire point of my original post. As well as my reply to your comment.

My comment was in reference to your suggestion that there is always going to be something "better" on the horizon. My point was that bit of conventional wisdom only applies to stabilized and established markets. So my suggestion is to wait...just that tiny bit longer.

Not sure what your comment I bolded above means...I KNOW what I wrote...because, well, I wrote it.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Especially with a new market that addage holds. Unless it's a market that is bound to fail (for whatever reason). Take the laptop market. It's hardly worth waiting a few months. The extra advantages you'll get are tiny. At work, I'm working on a 2 1/2 years old laptop. If I compare it to a new one, the only difference it that the HD is larger and the processor slightly faster. And that's in 2 1/2 years!

If you have a new market, development is going full swing, and you'll get new functionalities with every new device. The hardware is getting better, more advanced, faster.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:54 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned

what is there a parrot in the house? You keep responding with exactly what I typed in paraphrased form. Kinda funny and confusing at the same time.

I do not see what point you are trying to make. Are you agreeing or attempting to offer a different perspective or opinion?

For new markets which are far from stable it is best to wait as long as possible. For established markets like, say, laptops, waiting is pointless in this day and age. For the most part anyway, as there are still segments of the market which are in flux which influence the buying strategies I specify for clients with rather specific purchasing requirements.

I would never recommend a client buy into ANY ereading device in the current market no matter what the marketing hype. Too many unstable companies staffed by even more unstable individuals as we have seen from some comments by company reps on this site as well as in the media. When even the device sellers have no idea about a feature set of an announced device, that is time to back off and wait.

For individuals the situation can be different...or not...it is solely dependent on the needs at the current microsecond in time. But my current recommendation to all clients who have approached me about buying into eink devices to manage document distribution company wide is to wait at least a year from now, probably 18-months. I tend toward the conservative side for businesses who pay for my opinions and plans. Better a generation behind than to put your business at risk trying to adopt everything new that slides down the marketing spin pipeline.

===========================

Boy, have we wandered WAAAAY OT...sorry for the that to the OP...anyway, I LOVE the look of the OAXIS reader. It's simple and there is no reason these devices should not be simple. Plus it is hand holding preference agnostic. If it has an accelerometer that would be a huge plus...or at least a dedicate rotation button would be fine with me. In fact I would not be sure if I would prefer an accelerometer or not...dunno the failure rates vs. a tried and true button.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Now about the display. Why is LG using a different name for the tech?
They aren't using a different name. They call it "EPD" - that's "electrophoretic display", which is the "technical name" for what we generally call "eInk". All eInk displays are EPD.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #11
brecklundin
Banned

Thanks, again Harry, I found that while reading up on the specs where they specifically say it's a Vizplex.

I knew the Electrophoretic part but was not sure if they had gone off on a tangent with something new yet still EPD. Kinda like the projects at I think it's Arizona State (I am not sure I remember it is AZ State though but know the other college is out here in the western US) and MIT where they are working on variations on the theme to try and get good color.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My point was that bit of conventional wisdom only applies to stabilized and established markets.
Quote:
Especially with a new market that addage holds
Either we're talking about something completely different, but you say something better on the horizon is only for an stabilized and established market, and I say it's especially for a new market...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Either we're talking about something completely different, but you say something better on the horizon is only for an stabilized and established market, and I say it's especially for a new market...
Nope, you have what I wrote wrong for some reason...I was saying there is not something better out there worth waiting for on stabilized markets...so buy when there is need w/o worry. It is within an emerging market that one needs to wait because that next generation will be significantly improved, or occasionally even worse as all early generation devices are at their core live beta test devices, than the current generation. The thing to do in such a market as in individual is to not pay the early adopter premium and buy the previous generation if it is usable in the short term and you simply need a device NOW...then wait for the market to show it's hand.

I am not sure how you got my comments backwards...maybe I wrote them bassackwards (insomnia from my RA again) so I am on 38hrs w/o sleep & 9hrs in the past 80hrs, but as far as I recall, w/o reading the posts yet again, I had it right from the first post...

Anyway, I hope the meaning of what I wrote is clearer for ya now...

Last edited by brecklundin; 06-14-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
rrburton
Connoisseur
rrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-booksrrburton has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad
Watching for this one

Having seen this posting about the Oaxis last week, I emailed them. Their reply was that they are launching in July & that they haven't confirmed a US Distributor yet.
rrburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Interesting. I wonder how useful the WiFi will be. From the product pages, they only make mention of getting newspapers delivered wirelessly (otherwise they say to transfer documents via USB or SD card). This gives me the impression that they'll have some partner newspaper publishers with customized feeds you can subscribe to. Also, there's no mention of a web browser or RSS client, which further reinforces this idea of specialized subscriber feeds. I guess we'll find out more in the coming months.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote