Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #271
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@JSWolf - ADE 4.5.1. And it does not handle soft hyphens well

@naki - yes, the Calibre viewer does, but ADE doesn't

@dickloraine - In my tests with AZW2 files it appears that even left justified paragraphs will line-split with a soft hyphen

@all - thanks for the information. Since most of my reading is on the Kindle PW, hyphenating the AZW3 file after converting from epub seems like the best approach. It really does help the reading experience to have the lines less ragged.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #272
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ADE 4.5.1 does support hyphenation. The version of ADE used by Kobo supports hyphens. You don't need to add soft hyphens to ePub for them to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #273
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE 4.5.1 does support hyphenation. The version of ADE used by Kobo supports hyphens. You don't need to add soft hyphens to ePub for them to work.
The I must be doing something wrong. Attached is a screenshot of an epub in ADE 4.5.1.

There is no hyphenated word that I can see in 3 columns. I'd expect there to be at least one in all that text??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	148599  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
The I must be doing something wrong. Attached is a screenshot of an epub in ADE 4.5.1.

There is no hyphenated word that I can see in 3 columns. I'd expect there to be at least one in all that text??
With Kobo Readers, they are using a version of ADE later than 2.0.1 and will not hyphenate when the text is left justified. So try full justified text to see if it hyphenates. Also, you really don't want to use ADE past 2.0.1 as you could end up with an ePub that has DRM that will cause you to not be able to remove the DRM.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #275
jveth
jveth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle5
Quote:
Originally Posted by naki View Post
I noticed that hyphenating an azw3 file removes ligatures

For example, the character fi (unicode U+FB01), which normally appears with the f connected to the dot of the i (with recent firmware and Bookerly font), display as separate two letters fi after hyphenating the azw3

Same for the ligatures ff, ffi, etc.. as well as with the font Caecilia Condensed (albeit less obvious). They are displayed as separate letters ff, ffi, etc... after hyphenating.

Is this an intended behaviour of the plugin, or something else?
Hi Naki, as I see it is the same problem about non-standard hyphenation that I outlined in my post #211.

You will also find the suggested patch in that post.
My little modification adds an additional check that after removing the suggested soft-hyphen, the original word would be returned. All suggestions will be discarded where the result would be different, that is, at the end, only standard hyphenation points will be accepted.

Obviously the current behaviour cannot be intended. Depending on language, the results can be much worse than yours.
Fortunately enough for most folks, this problem does not persist for most languages (not even for German any more, with the new language rules).
jveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #276
acabal
acabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheeseacabal can extract oil from cheese

Device: None
Hi folks, just wanted to drop in here because I and a few other people in this thread were looking for a command-line utility to add soft hyphens to ebooks. I've written one up and posted it here for those of you who are interested.

It's a Python script that operates on xhtml files, so Calibre is not required (unless you want to hyphenate Kindle files, in which case ebook-convert is necessary).
acabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 03:02 AM   #277
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast
SuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Whenever i use this plugin it changes the size of the font (At least in the Calibre reader). Is there a reason for this?

Last edited by SuperDerpBro; 06-13-2016 at 03:07 AM.
SuperDerpBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:21 AM   #278
mgrmgrde
mgrmgrde began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 iPhone 6+, Kindle HDX 8.9, Kindle paperwhite
Thumbs up Suggestions

At first let me say for that plugin, I love it.

Nonetheless there are two suggestions I have to make after some years of successful use:

1. Can you change the type of the custom field from text to a Y/N field? I think the three states of Yes/No/undefined are a better selection.

2. As I use sigil as my e-book editor: can you replace the hex-code with another &x....; sequence so I can edit a book in sigil too without a lot of spelling marks.

I think that would make this fabulous plugin a bit (for me a lot) better

TIA for considering these suggestions
mgrmgrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #279
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrmgrde View Post
At first let me say for that plugin, I love it.

Nonetheless there are two suggestions I have to make after some years of successful use:

1. Can you change the type of the custom field from text to a Y/N field? I think the three states of Yes/No/undefined are a better selection.

2. As I use sigil as my e-book editor: can you replace the hex-code with another &x....; sequence so I can edit a book in sigil too without a lot of spelling marks.

I think that would make this fabulous plugin a bit (for me a lot) better

TIA for considering these suggestions
Sigil is an ePub editor. Soft-hyphens do not work well with ADE. So you would be best not to hyphenate any ePub and wait until you've converted the ePub to KF8 and then hyphenate the KF8.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #280
mgrmgrde
mgrmgrde began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 iPhone 6+, Kindle HDX 8.9, Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Sigil is an ePub editor.
That's the reason I use Sigil ePub is my preferred format for reading, editing, exchanging,archiving etc. With the DeDrm plugin it removes all sort of DRM and my E-book library has atm around 3000 books - all ePubs.

Quote:
Soft-hyphens do not work well with ADE. So you would be best not to hyphenate any ePub and wait until you've converted the ePub to KF8 and then hyphenate the KF8.
Well - usually I read my books with the calibre book viewer on my computer, it's the easiest method reading for me as I'm left-side paralyzed and have a lot of problems reading on my Kindle 3 or iPhone or Kindle tablet with just one usable arm. As I wrote before my preferred exchange format is also ePub because it's highly standardized and not in the claws of a company with only their own interests in mind.

BTW: with my setup soft-hyphens work quite well in English as well as in German or Danish E-books (I read and understand those languages)
mgrmgrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #281
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Trying to install the italian dictionary ...

I get the following exception:

Code:
calibre, version 2.66.0
ERRORE: Eccezione non gestita: <b>KeyError</b>:"There is no item named 'dictionaries.xcu' in the archive"

calibre 2.66  embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Linux-3.16.0-4-586-i686-with-debian-8.0 Linux ('32bit', 'ELF')
('Linux', '3.16.0-4-586', '#1 Debian 3.16.7-ckt7-1 (2015-03-01)')
Python 2.7.9
Linux: ('debian', '8.0', '')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Hyphenate This! (0, 0, 8) && Find Duplicates (1, 6, 2) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 17) && Count Pages (1, 6, 9)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.gui.config", line 210, in _addDict
  File "calibre_plugins.hyphenatethis.gui.config", line 216, in _addOxt
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 986, in read
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 1014, in open
  File "site-packages/calibre/utils/zipfile.py", line 976, in getinfo
KeyError: "There is no item named 'dictionaries.xcu' in the archive"
I downloaded the dictionary from here

By the way... does the Kindle 2nd gen (the one with the keyboard) read appropriately an hyphenated AZW3 file?

Last edited by Sam Sahara; 09-04-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:53 PM   #282
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The Kindle 2nd Gen does not support KF8 (AZW3).
Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 AM   #283
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
The Kindle 2nd Gen does not support KF8 (AZW3).
My fault. The kindle with the keyboard (the one I got) is 3rd gen. I read AZW3 files with it every day.

Anyway, the main theme of my post is the difficulty with the installation of an italian dictionary.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #284
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Sam Sahara: I've extracted just hyphenation dictionary file from the .oxt one you linked in your post. Just extract it from the zip in the attachment and add that .dic to the plugin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hyph_it_IT.dic.zip (1.1 KB, 228 views)
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #285
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@Sam Sahara: I've extracted just hyphenation dictionary file from the .oxt one you linked in your post. Just extract it from the zip in the attachment and add that .dic to the plugin.
It works like a charm. Many thanks!

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hypenation, hyphenate this, hyphenation, spaces