Notices

Old 02-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
PDF To other Help

Afternoon,

I am going to be buying a Cybook soon and I need to make sure I can read all the ebooks I have before making the purchase. I have many un-DRMed ebooks that are in PDF format and are mainly just text. I am wondering what the best method is to convert the PDF's to something readable on the Cybook so that the text remains faithful to the PDF (i.e. same paragraph indentation, spacing, etc.). I have tried the Mobipocket PDF tools and they are decent but I was wondering if there is something better. I use Linux but also use Windows via VMWare (Windows emulation program that allows for you to use Windows inside Linux). Thank you and have a nice day.

Don

P.S. I apologize if this has been mentioned several times.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 AM   #2
dcalder
Zealot
dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.dcalder knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-300/Kindle Keyboard/iPad Mini
Depending on the particular PDF, you may well find it quite readable on the Cybook without having to convert it, as the Cybook does support non-DRMed PDFs. If the text is too small but you have the ability to edit the PDF itself, just change the PDF's own formatting (decrease margins to free up more screen room, change paper size, etc.) and re-save as a PDF formatted more appropriately for your screen size. The Cybook may not provide the best of support (reflow, etc.) for PDFs in general but if the PDFs are designed specifically for use on them, there's no reason that a PDF can't be used directly on it.

Sometimes, even scanned, non-OCRed, A4-size PDFs can be quite readable. I've tested it with a couple of out-of-print zines and had reasonably good results.
dcalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
thank you for the reply

I will give it a go when my reader arrives. I will let you know how it goes.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ralob, the problem is that your Gen3 won't read letter sized PDF very well at all. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise. You have a file set for 11" being compressed to fit on a 6" screen. Do the math. Doesn't work all that well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote