Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #76
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I use the official B&N charger, Soondai. Of course, it may work better with your Nook, but I kind of doubt it.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:43 AM   #77
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
But they sell the touch without a charger now, mine did not come with one, I use a Sony Ericsson charger 550ma i got with my mp3 player, It only took 2 hours to fully charge from dead, I though it took 3-3.5hrs, I got around 3 weeks on my first charger, and some days i was reading a couple of hours.

John.

Last edited by Tinderbox (UK); 02-24-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #78
Tinderbox (UK)
Connoisseur
Tinderbox (UK) began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kindle DXG
Does using a external memory card shorten the touches battery life?

John.
Tinderbox (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #79
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
No idea. It shouldn't, but I have been wondering the same thing. I can't see how mine could be resulting in the wierd battery indicator issues, but I have wondered if maybe there could be an issue going on of increased battery drain.

Memory cards, even during read and write don't use a lot of power. Generally only a few dozen miliamps at 3.3v (so maybe 20-80mw). At idle when the card isn't being accessed it shouldn't draw anything, but maybe in some units something wierd is going on where the SD card slot is drawing power with a card in all the time.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #80
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When I was having trouble with my first Touch with the battery draining, I did experiment with having a memory card in it and not in it. It didn't seem to make any difference. Of course, I was hoping it might help my rapid drain problems. Under more normal conditions, I don't know if it has any effect, although I agree that it shouldn't matter much, if at all.
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #81
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This time 13 days with extremely light use before "dead". I probably read maybe 10-12hrs over the 13 days. Been busy and doing a lot on my iPad, so I maybe only read 1-2hrs on about 5 or 6 days out of that 13 since I charged it last wednesday. Powered off last night when I just started reading in bed and refused to power on. This morning powered on and claimed 75% charge. I turned it OFF and later turned it back on in my car just to push a little more juice in to get me through the weekend and a planned replacement. Claimed 60% charge. Charged on the 1amp charger for my 25 minute drive in to work...claimed 51% charge after that.

Called for the 2nd time, they agreed to a warranty replacement. Apparently despite what their website says, they are now doing replacement/exchanges through the local stores. Emailed me an RMA letter to print and take in with my nook.

The letter and the person I spoke to in the store told me to just bring the letter and the nook and they'll do the exchange. Woman on the phone at B&N call center said being the charger and box if available as well.

I am going with just the nook and the letter. Pain in the butt to have to drive home and get that stuff and then back to the store instead of just swinging by on my way home.

So, long story short (bet you wished this part was at the top and you could skip the rest ), I should have a replacement new/refurb this evening and hopefully it'll be working A-okay and also not having to deal with shipping it somewhere.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #82
azazel1024
Groupie

And doubly glad now on deciding on the exchange. Went and powered it off and popped out the micro SD card before I was going to power it on and erase and deregister the device. Well, it refuses to power on now.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #83
RAH
Guru

Good luck with the replacement! Interesting to know that you can do the exchange at the store now.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #84
azazel1024
Groupie

Well, too early to tell of course, but I am hoping this one works okay. It was new enough to not have a charger in the box and was preloaded with 1.1.0

It took about 2hrs 45 minutes to charge from flat to full using the wall charger, which is a fair amount longer than the old nook took. Using my kill-a-watt for part of the charging, it looks like the nook charges at about 4.5w (from the wall) until roughly 80% charge and then slowly begins dropping the charging power, probably to prevent battery wear/damage. At 81% it was charging at 2.6w at 90% it was at 2.3w and 93% it was at 1.6w. I wasn't able to monitor it past that as I was putting my kids to bed and it was fully charged by the time I was done 30 minutes later (so the 2hrs 45minutes is a guess, it was at 93% at about the 2 1/2hr mark and completed somewhere before 3hrs).

So about 40% an hour for the first 2 hours, then about another 45 minutes to get the last 20% in.

Also interestingly, the process and screen use a bit more juice than I had expected. I am not sure if 100% of the extra draw from those was being pulled from the charger or not, but when I'd wake it up and the screen would refresh to the settings screen the draw would jump from 2.6w up to around 3.5w or so for about 2-3s before dropping back down.

Also, the nook charger has a HORRIBLE PF. It seems pretty efficient conversion efficiency, >80% as near as I can tell, but the PF was .46 at 4.4w. Ouch.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #85
azazel1024
Groupie

I am sure I just jinxed myself, but the new one seems to be working as it should. 9 days in and at 78% battery life. No wierdly swining battery readings, no random powering off, nothing. Drained 4% in the first 12 or so hours from the first full charge including about 30 minutes of reading in there. Since then it drains about 2% a day if I don't use it that day and it drains maybe roughly 1% per hour of use or a little less.

On the days I have read 30 minutes or less in the day it drains about 2% that day, if I read more than 30 minutes up to somewhat over an hour (maybe up to 90 minutes) it drains 3% that day and reading 2hrs or more drains about 4% that day (I haven't read more than 2 1/2hrs in any given day).

So, frankly I damned happy now with my Nook ST!
Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #86
RAH
Guru

Yup, sounds like you got a good one. That's great! I'd worry about jinxing you with such remarks, but you already took care of that yourself!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #87
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
updated to 1.1.2 today. currently at 85%, so it will be a while before I recharge the battery, but I'm curious if a battery fix was part of the "system enhancements"
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #88
azazel1024
Groupie

Yeah, upgrading to 1.1.2 scares me. I am going to do it tonight, though my new nook ST is working just great since I got it a couple of weeks ago. Though my last one didn't start malfunctioning (battery wise) based on an update, it was messed-up from day one.

Both nook STs so far have had Wifi connectivity issues where it would normally take 2-3 times turning wifi on and off before it would establish a connection to my wifi network. So hopefully this fixes the issue.

I doubt there are any battery fixes in there, but maybe. It'd be real nice if B&N actually posted a relatively detailed bug fix list so we knew what was being fixed.

Hold me, I'm scared.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #89
RAH
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
I doubt there are any battery fixes in there, but maybe.
There have been fixes in the past (maybe the last one?) that specifically said they included battery fixes, and it never helped my misbehaving Touches, so I doubt if it would matter anyway. Although I suppose someday they'll fix it so there are no issues (except some of the problems may be hardware related).
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #90
azazel1024
Groupie

I can't help thinking hardware related issues not just because my new nook ST is working perfectly. Out of curiousity, did the nook ST you have come with a charger or not? And/or a Refurb?

One of my thoughts was that an earlier batch of Nook STs had bad battery/voltage monitors in them causing the issues. Could easily have been a batch of a few hundred thousand manufacturered earlier on (my broken one came with a charger, the new one I got as a warranty replacement did not have a charger and was new, not refurb). If a large percentage, say 5-20% had a manufacturing issue, it would explain, especially if a lot of people have been getting replacements that are broken as well what is going on.

Refurbs in some cases might have the issue as well. I doubt B&N is replacing batteries in refurbs unless they are obviously wrong. They might not be doing it even on user reported battery problems when they turn them in for warranty replacements. If the battery on a quick tests shows as good, it probably is retained in the refurb unit even though the battery/voltage monitor is actually bad in real use.