Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Apple iDevice update: 0.7.53

Beginning with version 0.7.53, this dialog will be shown the first time a connected Apple iDevice is detected:

• If you do not want calibre to recognize your connected iDevice as a reader, click Disable Apple driver, and you're done.
  • If you want to transfer books to your iDevice, click Disable Apple driver, then follow the instructions in Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here.
  • If you click Enable Apple driver, you will be using the unsupported direct connection method. This is an advanced user mode with some quirks and caveats discussed in the FAQ. Once you click the Enable Apple driver button, you will not see this dialog again unless you reset confirmation dialogs in Preferences|Behavior.
    You will need to restart calibre after selecting this option.

Why is this necessary?
Many calibre users connect iPhones to their computers for recharging and syncing with iTunes, but don't want the iDevice seen as an ereader. This dialog makes things simpler for those users.

Why are there two connection methods for iDevices?
Originally, direct connection was the only connection method. As the driver implementation evolved, it became clear that the requirements for configuring iTunes were tedious and sometimes in conflict with how users were already using iTunes. As a result, the 'Connect to iTunes' method was added, as it is much simpler and more reliable. It is now the recommended and supported method for transferring content from calibre to your iDevice via iTunes.

I've been using the direct connection method successfully, does it still work?
Yes, the direct connection method still works—nothing has changed with the implementation. If you have been using direct connection, and it works for you, feel free to continue using it. However, if you have problems, the first response will be to use the supported 'Connect to iTunes' method.

I'm not seeing this dialog. Why not?
The dialog is only displayed if the Apple device driver is enabled. If you have been using an iDevice prior to 0.7.53, and have already followed the instructions in the FAQ, your Apple device driver is already disabled, and you won't see the dialog. You don't need to do anything differently.

I want to change connection modes. How can I cause the dialog to be displayed again?
To reset conditions for a fresh start:
  • In Preferences|Advanced|Plugins|Device Interface plugins, enable the Apple device interface.
  • In Preferences|Behavior, click Reset all disabled confirmation dialogs.
  • Restart calibre with iTunes running and a connected iDevice.
Where can I learn more about the differences between the Apple device connection modes?
Read the FAQ.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Image/message missing

Hi GRiker
Don't have an iX, but .. just noticed the "image/message" link is dead.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "image/message" link is dead. There's supposed to be a picture of a dialog - are you saying it's not visible?

G
Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Exactly !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by the "image/message" link is dead. There's supposed to be a picture of a dialog - are you saying it's not visible?

G
NOT visible
Edit: Windows, IE 8, I just get the small icon with the "red cross", link properties (translated from danish) should be something like "not available"

Last edited by pchrist7; 04-01-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
GRiker

I'm not sure what's happening - I can see it from multiple browsers on my PC, and from my mobile device. Might be a Mobileread issue.

What is the service message?

G
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
I'm not sure what's happening - I can see it from multiple browsers on my PC, and from my mobile device. Might be a Mobileread issue.

What is the service message?

G
no message, just "the red cross icon".
Did have 1 "server not responding" error 30 min. ago.
Hmm, will try another session, logout, login etc.
Sorry if this was a false alarm.
Will get back to you shortly.

Edit: Damn, never tried getting screenshot into a post. NOT working for me.
URL is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pic...pictureid=4070
Don't know what's up, but I'll try to restart my system.

Last edited by pchrist7; 04-01-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I'm not seeing it, either. Dug out the link from your post (via quoting) and tried it in FF as well as IE. Doesn't look like there's an image at that location, however, I don't get an error message from Mobileread, either...
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #8
pchrist7
Addict

Still same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
no message, just "the red cross icon".
Did have 1 "server not responding" error 30 min. ago.
Hmm, will try another session, logout, login etc.
Sorry if this was a false alarm.
Will get back to you shortly.

Edit: Damn, never tried getting screenshot into a post. NOT working for me.
URL is https://www.mobileread.com/forums/pic...pictureid=4070
Don't know what's up, but I'll try to restart my system.
Is the URL valid ? for all ?
Old 04-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
pchrist7
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
I'm not seeing it, either. Dug out the link from your post (via quoting) and tried it in FF as well as IE. Doesn't look like there's an image at that location, however, I don't get an error message from Mobileread, either...
Sorry, I was not clear.
The post displays fine except the "missing link"
Error message was maybe 10 min. before reading this post, looking through other posts on MR. So maybe, or...
Just wanted to give a heads up.
Have a nice release weekend, all

Tags
idevice, ipad, iphone, itunes