Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Charles Lewis
Charles Lewis began at the beginning.

Device: Droid X
Selecting a folder on Droid to send books?

The user manual seems to suggest it is possible to set the folder where converted books can automatically be sent, but I haven't figured out quite how.

I want to send my books to the Kindle folder on my Droid X, since I like that reader and hope before too long to actually buy a Kindle. When I transfer the books to the Droid, they appear in an e-book directory, where I could switch them to the Kindle directory. Alternatively, I can use my Apple Finder to copy the book from the Calibre directory on my computer to the Kindle directory on the Droid.

Is there a way to set the preferences in Calibre to automatically send the book to the preferred directory? It would seem to be possible under "Sending books to devices," but I don't see how.
Charles Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
preferences->plugins->device interface plugins and customize the android plugin
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
Charles Lewis

I am missing something. I do not see a "plugins" option under preferences. I am running Calibre 0.7.33 for Apple OS X.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
scroll down
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
Charles Lewis

Duh!

After hitting myself on the head for not doing the obvious, I set the preferences and the next file (a news section from the Christian Science Monitor) transferred into the right directory. For some reason, however, the ePub version was the one that transferred. Both versions, the one I converted and the original ePub, are in the Calibre directory on the computer.

Once I figure out all the intricacies, I'm going to love this program.
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can also customise the plugin to say what formats are allowed, and the preference order to be used if more than one of the allowed formats exists.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
Charles Lewis

Thanks for great support. I found the section, but it shows only ePub and pdf as file types. I need Mobi for my Kindle app to read the file. As I said, that file type exists in the Calibre directory and if I manually transfer the file to the Droid, the app reads it just as it should.

I'm obviously still missing something. I appreciate your help. You are going well beyond the call of duty.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lewis View Post
Thanks for great support. I found the section, but it shows only ePub and pdf as file types. I need Mobi for my Kindle app to read the file. As I said, that file type exists in the Calibre directory and if I manually transfer the file to the Droid, the app reads it just as it should.

I'm obviously still missing something. I appreciate your help. You are going well beyond the call of duty.
You should disable the Droid plugin and use the Connect to Folder option. This will allow you to send mobi books to the folder on the droid from within calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Charles Lewis

I know you have got to be tired of my problem, but the Connect to Folder option is grayed out. I've played with the preferences but can't find any that turn it on.

Charles
Old 12-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Charles Lewis

I know you have got to be tired of my problem, but the Connect to Folder option is grayed out. I've played with the preferences but can't find any that turn it on.

Charles
Old 12-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Lewis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You should disable the Droid plugin and use the Connect to Folder option. This will allow you to send mobi books to the folder on the droid from within calibre.
Step one, to use the Connect to folder option you must disable the Droid plugin. You may also need to restart calibre or just reconnect your Droid.

If your Droid shows up in your operating system as a USB drive then you should now be able to use the Connect to folder option.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
What does the Connect to Folder option do? I usually just use save to disk and I can save to any folder on my boox or to any folder on the SD card.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
What does the Connect to Folder option do? I usually just use save to disk and I can save to any folder on my boox or to any folder on the SD card.
From the manual

Quote:
Connect to folder: This action allows you to connect to any folder on your computer as though it were a device and use all the facilities calibre has for devices with that folder. Useful if your device cannot be supported by calibre but is available as a USB disk.
The only hitch is if you want to use this to access your device directly you need to disable the device plugin. Of course if you pull the SD card out and read it directly on your computer you can treat the card as a device.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #14
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
"use all the facilities calibre has for devices with that folder"

I guess my question should have been - What facilities does calibre have for devices that you cannot use if you use save to disk?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I guess my question should have been - What facilities does calibre have for devices that you cannot use if you use save to disk?
It treats the folder as a device and all books in the folder show in the "On device" column. You can click on the device view and see what books are in the folder. You can adjust the Folder Device interface plugin to set the priority of what format should be sent first if more then one exists or adjust how the books are sent. You can use the metadata plugboard to customize the metadata sent in the books sent to the folder.

For more check out the manual.