Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #1
wayamauro
Connoisseur
wayamauro began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, KindleDX
Best way to charge a new SONY 505?

Hi, I was wondering without a wall charger, how should I charge a new sony reader 505 for the first time through the USB? For how long? I am returning the one I have right now for a new one and I want to make sure I charge it right. I followed the instructions in the manual but the red light turns off very soon, like in 2 hours. It does show full battery but for some reason after turning off my device earlier I was not able to turn it back on. I plugged the USB cord, but no lights lit. In the end I decided to use a paper clip to reset the machine. After doing so it worked. I have read some people saying about the calibration of the battery and how the readings are false in the beginning. I know the battery was full when the device didn't want to turn back on, so I am confused. Please, how can I charge it for the first time with the USB cord and how can I tell whether it is fully charged for real or not?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
wayamauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just do what you've been doing. Plug it into the PC, when the red light goes off, it is fully charged. The battery meter on the device may not be accurate at first--although I never noticed this personally.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm not sure the USB charge is much use, Wayamauro. I had terrible problems with my PRS-505 for the first month. It was all but useless, even though the battery meter showed a full charge. Not so much as a hiccup since I bought a wall charger a couple of months ago on the recommendation of more experienced users here. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #4
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I'm not sure the USB charge is much use, Wayamauro. I had terrible problems with my PRS-505 for the first month. It was all but useless, even though the battery meter showed a full charge.
I've charged the reader almost exclusively through USB for the first year of use, it is only recently that I got a PSP charger with the proper barrel tip. Never had issues. YMMV I suppose.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
I'm not sure the USB charge is much use, Wayamauro. I had terrible problems with my PRS-505 for the first month. It was all but useless, even though the battery meter showed a full charge. Not so much as a hiccup since I bought a wall charger a couple of months ago on the recommendation of more experienced users here. Cheers. Neil
Well Neilmarr I just bought the charger when I exchanged the other reader, so I suppose we are good now. The new one is charging on the wall charger right now (original sony charger). I did not turn it on or anything, out of the box I just plugged it in, is that fine? The red light is on so I suppose when it goes off I can unplug it.

I appreciate everybody's help, thank you.

Last edited by wayamauro; 09-22-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:29 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You've done exactly as I did when my charger arrived, Wayamauro. When the unit was fully charged, I then coupled the reader to a PC and re-formatted memory (again on advice from our more expert friends here at MR). A perfect fix. Re-formatting memory, by the way, will clear all titles from your reader, so do be sure you have them stored elsewhere so that they can be re-installed. Good luck. Neil

PS: Another valuable tip from here was not to store too many books on your reader (I tried to carry more than 100). Especially if you're increasing font, the shelf space fills faster than Sony admits and the reader will start to play tricks. I tend now only to keep about a dozen books in the reader at any time and to build my libraries in my PC and laptop. N
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 AM   #7
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Hey Neilmarr, thank you for your advice. Should I re-format the internal memory of the reader? Wouldn't that delete all the important files (I am referring to drivers and stuff or the folders that say "Books", "Pictures" etc..)that are required for the Sony Reader to function? I have no idea at all about this, I am just guessing. How did you do it?

Oh another question, so let me get this straight, even if I used my SD card to store, say 100 books for example or 200, the reader would play some tricks? Or is it just when you put a lot of books in the internal memory of the reader?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by wayamauro; 09-22-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr

I'm a bit of a technodunce, Wayamauro, so forgive my inept answers. I found when I re-formatted that, although title content was temporarily sacrificed, the reader performed perfectly as a 'virgin' machine. Not sure about the SD card, though others here would be able to advise you. I'd guess, though, that because that is external memory it wouldn't affect the internal machinations of the wee gizmo. But I'd suggest you ask the more clued-up members on that score. Do let us know how you go on. Cheers. Neil
Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #9
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Let's just forget about everything guys. Again, maybe it is just my luck or something. NOW THIS READER IS WRONG TOO??
I finished charging it, and guess what? It turns on perfect, as white as heck, really white, really good background. Now, all of a sudden when it goes into the menus...you can actually SEE the last page through the new page. OK, let me explain it better: imagine that you have two different pieces of papers with some text written on them. You put them both together, same size, same color, white in this case. You look at them through light and what do you see? You can see BOTH documents. This is what's happening with my just opened Sony Reader. I am telling you, say I go to..."Collections", right? well I can see the WHOLE Reader menu (the first page I just went through in order to go to Collections)only that the words seem to be faded away. Say that I go see a picture, ok...then when I go back to the main menu, I CAN SEE the picture still, but faded away.
What in the world is going on?

Anybody HELP PLEASE?! This is so frustrating now.

Thank you so much
Old 09-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr

Wow! I've never come across that. Also, though, I've never heard of a 505 displaying a pure white page. They're usually an easy-on-the-eye light grey with near-black print. I'd suggest summat is very up. Hope someone here, more technically inclined, can help you out, Wayamauro.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I think what you are seeing is refered to as "ghosting". From what I've read on these forums the 505 should have little to no ghosting even though I've encountered little ghosting on both of my 505's. This especially is noticebale when switching from a page that has a lot of deep blacks, like the deep black borders on the menus, to a page that is mostly just text with a grey background.

Since there are reports of people experiencing no ghosting I'm not sure if this is normal but it isn't enough to bother me since after turning just one page, the "ghosting" goes away. Might be a bother if I was reading comics or something with a lot of pictures but I don't. I often do my reading at night and the reader gets kind of cold and I'm not sure if it's a temperature related problem as well.

However, it seems like you didn't have this issue on your first reader? If that's the case, it might be a defect with your screen. The background of the reader to me atleast, looks grey and your first one should've looked just as good as the second one.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #12
wayamauro
Connoisseur

Guys I am telling you this screen looks really white, I mean if the ghosting was not there, I would keep it with no hesitation, it is almost like paper, no kidding. The ghosting persists for pages and pages, one after another. When the device is off, the "warning" sign that appears before shutting it down through "Settings" persists as well(in fact it did till this morning, so it lasted the whole night, and it is still there). I am going to get a new one right now, hopefully it will work out...man they are going to think the one with the problem is me and not the reader, but what can I do? If they are not good , they are not good, period.

I will tell you how it goes.
Thank you so much for your help.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayamauro View Post
Guys I am telling you this screen looks really white, I mean if the ghosting was not there, I would keep it with no hesitation, it is almost like paper, no kidding. The ghosting persists for pages and pages, one after another. When the device is off, the "warning" sign that appears before shutting it down through "Settings" persists as well(in fact it did till this morning, so it lasted the whole night, and it is still there). I am going to get a new one right now, hopefully it will work out...man they are going to think the one with the problem is me and not the reader, but what can I do? If they are not good , they are not good, period.

I will tell you how it goes.
Thank you so much for your help.
Yeah something is wrong. Sometimes I'll see ghosting from the menu, but never that bad. Once I get into actual book pages it's gone.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
wayamauro
Connoisseur

In the end I got the one I took back yesterday...they had one left, and it had been opened somehow, and I knew it was not new. After asking people to see where they put it yesterday, they found it and gave it back to me. Now if the problem with the battery persists, I will just go to a different town and exchange it for a new one. I have 30 days to do that, so I am going to use this one as much as I can. I really liked it, only problem like I say the battery thing, which may be normal, and the SD card thing[/U], which may be normal too.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #15
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
One thing to note about charging from usb is that you should either plug it directly into your pc or into a powered hub. An unpowered hub probably won't be able to supply enough power to charge it.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote