Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
ajpsjeng
ajpsjeng began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Thumbs up Will 'Panel View' option ever be available for KINDLE TOUCH?

Hi there,
I got a kindle touch. It's my first kindle.
I usually use it for reading books and totally love it.
Then, after a few months, amazon released kindle paperwhite

I'm a comic lover myself.
I have seen the preview of a new 'PANEL VIEW' mode exclusively available for the kindle paperwhite. I totally feel left out. Because personally I think it looks really interesting.

so what I'm asking here is...

WILL 'Panel View' mode ever be available for the kindle touch?

IF NOT, could you great developers out there try to make it available please?

I'd really appreciate.
Thanks a lot.
ajpsjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Errmm... do you mean this? (see first image)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Errmm... do you mean this? (see first image)
Probably not.
Location 246 in the Kpw's installed User Guide.

Haven't tried it, but am willing to bet that Silver18's Komic does it better (when ported to Kpw).

Oops
O.P. Has a K5 now - Komic does run on the K5 now - -
O.P: install Komic.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Probably not.
Location 246 in the Kpw's installed User Guide.

Haven't tried it, but am willing to bet that Silver18's Komic does it better (when ported to Kpw).
Oh, I see. And *drumroll* first time here that I actually used those "positions" for anything useful - thanks knc1!
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, same here about those little numbers.

After all of my bashing (en_us slang) of Amazon and the Kpw . . .
I gifted myself with one, which arrived about 2am, tz 0.

I have an excuse - Only because you Jail Broke the model.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
I must replicate it!!

Anyway, as I moved to original Kindle menus I *could* try again with the pinch-to-zoom.
I have loads of things to do for Komic and I really want to improve the readability and user experience.

In the meanwhile, I hope Amazon ends with a nice comic reader so that I could enjoy it myself too!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
ajpsjeng

so you guys would recommend KOMIC instead?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpsjeng View Post
so you guys would recommend KOMIC instead?
Try it.
Report back on the comparison that you did.

Then we will know which to recommend once you finish the comparison report.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
ajpsjeng

Exclamation Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Try it.
Report back on the comparison that you did.

Then we will know which to recommend once you finish the comparison report.
I've tried it.
Well, I've got a A4 comic so have to use it in a landscape mode.

It works great, at least much better than viewing regularly.

However there are two things that bother me, so would any of you recommend a solution to this please?
1. when scrolling down, it goes pretty slowly - it only moves a very tiny bit part of a page
2.Most of the comics I got are in PDF, How can I view them?

Thanks a lot in advance.
I appreciate !
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
ajpsjeng

Thanks

The scrolling issue is solve as it's adjustable

However,
the pdf issues , what can I do?

By the way, I'm still wishing someone would take 'Panel View' that's available for every kind of books to the kindle touch.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Thanks

However,

By the way, I'm still wishing someone would take 'Panel View' that's available for every kind of books to the kindle touch.
silver18 is the autohr of komic. take that to that thread.

pdf viewer? tough to beat kpdfviewver or indeed maybe convert it.
(Looks down a reflowed 655 page technical manual, yeah kpdfviewver )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Time for you to re-read the user's guide, start at location 246.

I.E: Not every kind of book - only comic and manga
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Thanks

However,

The amount of scrolling is adjustable using the option provided in reading menu.

I saw the panel-view feature in the new Paperwhite, and it could be done also in Komic.
Personally, I don't like it as it isn't a real solution for comic readability.

With the assumption that kindles CAN'T handle well A4 comics (and they won't as the real problem is the screen dimension), I think landscape mode is the best attempt to provide a good solution.

I will try to bring back the pinch-to-zoom feature, my last hope to make things better.

Anyway, keep in mind the limitations of our kindle!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote