Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #16
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I assume they still spam you on the home page with a row of best sellers even after you remove ads right?
You can turn on parental controls and disable the store. This removes the recommendations row. Just re-enable it when you want to buy something and the rest of the time, you've got your whole home screen for your things.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:12 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Or just leave it in List view.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
You can turn on parental controls and disable the store. This removes the recommendations row. Just re-enable it when you want to buy something and the rest of the time, you've got your whole home screen for your things.
Good find, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Or just leave it in List view.
Well there is that, but I kind of like seeing the covers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
Does paying the $20 mean you don't get to see the "useful" ads anymore? You know, the ones like "Free $5 for MP3's" or (my favorite) "50% off Timbuk2 messenger bags" (last year).
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #20
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCiclista View Post
Does paying the $20 mean you don't get to see the "useful" ads anymore? You know, the ones like "Free $5 for MP3's" or (my favorite) "50% off Timbuk2 messenger bags" (last year).
Correct. Paying the $20 turns off the ads. If you later change your mind though, you can turn them back on.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCiclista View Post
Yes, but once you've paid you can turn them on and off at will. Just watch the SO thread here (or subscribe to it) where someone always posts if there is a new deal then turn your offers back on to get it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Awesome tip! I tend to do my book shopping from the Amazon web page anyway.
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #23
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, but once you've paid you can turn them on and off at will. Just watch the SO thread here (or subscribe to it) where someone always posts if there is a new deal then turn your offers back on to get it.
Good idea. Thanks
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #24
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Great tip, thank you so much!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #25
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Awesome! I always shop from my computer and send to Kindle, so I already disabled the store on my K3 and haven't missed it!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
I splurged the extra $20 to get rid of ads and now it is just the way I want it. When I open the cover I can start reading right where I left off when I closed it. Lets see a paper book do that... errr... never mind . Anyway, I find the lack of ads to be worth the cost.

One question about getting rid of Ads this way. If I decide to sell the Kindle down the road does the new owner get SOs or do they inherit my purchase? Hopefully it is tied to serial number and not to user/serial number.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #27
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I splurged the extra $20 to get rid of ads and now it is just the way I want it. When I open the cover I can start reading right where I left off when I closed it. Lets see a paper book do that... errr... never mind . Anyway, I find the lack of ads to be worth the cost.
-Greg
I paid the extra 20.00 too, so worth it!!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote