Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #436
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I think the smaller list is going to be apps that do not work.
This list is also good for those who aren't familiar with Android Apps. I wasn't initially. This is my first Android device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #437
lorddon
lorddon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
This list is also good for those who aren't familiar with Android Apps. I wasn't initially. This is my first Android device.
Same here. At first I wasn't sure I successfully rooted it until I started reading here more and realized I needed to install a new launcher to get it to look more like my buddy's Nexus 1.
lorddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #438
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quick Boot (Reboot)

As suggested by zartemis:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/quick-bo...ions.quickboot

Quote:
Quickly and easily reboot your device, power off your device...Create shortcuts / widgets on your home screen to boot with one click.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #439
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
I've now tried many of my favorite android apps from my EVO (still testing many more, believe it or not), but here are some of my personal must-have apps that mostly seem to work on the NookColor (no oddities noticed yet, but I haven't tested every single feature in every app, enough functionality exists for me to want to use the app). Some of these are pay apps or associated with subscription services -- I already bought them for my EVO, so no extra charge for me. Yes, some of these are repeats in this thread. I've tried to link to the free version where one exists, but if the link is a pay app, doublecheck before buying whether a demo version exists (I could have missed it).

UTILITIES

AppBrain -- android app manager and good frontend to the Android Market. syncs to online service. You can keep lists of apps you want, manage different devices, track upgrade available. Links in this message are to appbrain so you can tag the apps for download to your device, then open appbrain on your NookColor to download (they have an autodownloader but I don't use it). I almost never go direct to the market anymore, only through this app as a gateway.

QuickBoot -- Quick access to reboot and power down functions (remember to hide the recovery and bootloader options so you don't mistakenly press them)

Terminal Emulator -- Allows you to enter android command line commands, use only if you know what you are doing

aLogcat -- displays the log file and allows you to email it to someone (good for helping devs debug apps)

Titanium Backup -- backup your apps

MoreRecent -- shows most recent 15 apps (good when you run lots of apps).

Root Explorer -- Allows you to manage the root file system, use only if you know what you are doing.

Speed Test -- latency and bandwidth tester from speedtest.net

SystemPanel -- system monitoring tool, good for identifying bad apps that use up your battery

Wifi Analyzer -- shows you the wifi access points around you, how strong they are and what channel they are running on.

Battery Indicator -- puts a percentage indicator in your bottom bar showing how much battery is left.

Home Switcher -- Lets you see what launcher apps you have installed, set a default or launch any of them. Good for switching back to stock launcher if you want it.

Button Savior -- docks a tab on the side to allow you to access standard android buttons in any app.

Gesture Search -- a must have once you have dozens or hundreds of apps. Just start writing the letters of the app you want on the screen. From Google

Astro -- Good all around file and app manager

LogMeIn -- Very good and reliable remote PC access program -- I help manage my parents' computers from across the country with this. Also enables me to log in securely to my desk PC when I forget something from home. Expensive, but I've used this widely cross-platforms and mobile devices for years.

INTERNET SERVICES

Dolphin Browser HD -- full-featured browser alternative. I love the gesture-based shortcuts and plug-in options.

LastPass for Dolphin Browser HD -- works with LastPass and allows you to auto-fill web passwords securely.

LastPass -- app for premium LastPass.com subscribers. Manage your web passwords securely. Also has a good security audit program online to make sure you aren't using duplicate passwords at important sites and rates the quality of your passwords. Here is the interface for android.

Huffington Post -- decent front end to this liberal news site

FML -- frontend to the random time-waster FML website when you are standing in line with nothing else to do.

OpenTable -- frontend to opentable.com. Make reservations on the run any time.

Evernote -- frontend to evernote cloud document storage -- all my docs are available on-demand for viewing. Add and edit notes anytime.

MUSIC:

AudioGalaxy --allows you to stream your entire music collection from your PC and (usually) is able to read itunes playlists (some issues there, and they are working on it).

Rhapsody --Subscription streaming service -- I use this on my home Sonos system as well

Pandora --Customizable radio stations, learns your preferences.

Slacker --Another customizable radio station service

Andronos -- Remote control for Sonos users (only useful for those with Sonos house music system).

GAMES AND MEDIA

Aquarium Live Wallpaper -- free and donation versions. Excellent aquarium screensaver. I have mine set to complete black with no accessories and a single turtle that floats around my screen. Turtle available in 0.99 donation version.

Enjoy Sudoku -- Awesome, awesome version of this game. Is a training program as well, will take your sudoku skills to the next level. Can be set to to get rid of tedious aspects of game and let you focus on pure logic. It is even smart enough to use the full tablet screen, giving you two number pickers in portrait mode (one for selection, one for pencil notes) -- Wow.

Picasa Tool -- Want to access your picasaweb albums? Here you go.

JustPictures -- I'm playing with this -- I want a good slideshow so I can 'dock' my Nook and have it be a picture frame this is the current contender.

UinU -- fun little logic game

SketchBook -- very full-featured drawing app. A bit of learning curve, but has layers and all.

Flight Director -- landing planes game.

Roku Remote -- For those of you with a Roku player at home. Acts as a remote for your device.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:16 PM   #440
SCION
Séduisant

Thanks zartemis! Wonderful addition to the sticky.

I grabbed: MoreRecent -- shows most recent 15 apps (good when you run lots of apps).

Button Savior is great for this, but the more recent apps that can be shown, the better.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #441
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Thanks zartemis! Wonderful addition to the sticky.

I grabbed: MoreRecent -- shows most recent 15 apps (good when you run lots of apps).

Button Savior is great for this, but the more recent apps that can be shown, the better.
Long press of of button savior search doesn't launch this app though. It works better on EVO.

I'm now trying out this one (it works, just seeing if I like it enough to keep it):

Launchpad -- puts dot in the bottom status bar, touch it and the notification screen pulls up with a link to recent app listing. Allows you to list 15 most recent apps without leaving your current app. Requires two taps to get to the listing, but you don't have to go to home screen or activate button savior.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #442
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
... Allows you to list 15 most recent apps without leaving your current app...
Because having to leave your current app is totally unacceptable.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #443
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
other links to app sites....

Not that I need more than what is in the market at this point......but are there other places (besides the market) you can download apps.....Some links would be nice...
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 AM   #444
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Love that you provided what each app does.....makes it more useful knowing what it does......
Old 12-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #445
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Here is a decent app that can handle high quantities of photos, and large file size photos at that, works pretty well.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/quickpic...ensw.PicFolder

It's still in development, and I couldn't make the slideshow option work. This is the first app I could find that didn't have a conniption when I threw on a few directories with over 100 large photos per directory.

EDIT: scratch that, now the slideshow is working.

Last edited by KryptoNyte; 12-31-2010 at 12:53 AM.
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #446
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Not that I need more than what is in the market at this point......but are there other places (besides the market) you can download apps.....Some links would be nice...
The official marketplace is really best. And you should always read comments before dowloading any app from there to make sure it isn't a rogue app. The iTunes app marketplace has a high degree of oversight from Apple, while the official Android marketplace has very little oversight. However, bad apps will eventually be removed when noticed by enough market users. If the app has a very low star rating, you probably don't want it (it is buggy, doesn't do what it claims, or is malicious).

Please be careful out there, you could install an app that phishes for your passwords or that sends out spam from your device when you are connected to wifi. Check the ratings, read the comments, and, for the most part, stick to apps offered in the official market. If the app isn't offered in the market you should find out why and be satisfied with the answer (reasonable reasons (IMHO): it is opensource and there isn't a dev responsible who wants to send it through the market, it's a beta version offered by a dev with a good track record of other quality market apps, or a free trial version is there but the dev doesn't like the market terms for the pay version and reliable people vouch for the app).

Last edited by zartemis; 12-31-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #447
The Joker
Addict

Gotcha.......Thanks for the tip.......... Seems the market is good enough for me anyways
Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #448
SammyWI
SammyWI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2, NookColor (rooted)
Some apps that I haven't seen posted yet:

Everything I'm using is either a free or demo version (so far)

Games:

Pacific Wings: Arcade shooter like 1942. Touchscreen controls works surpisingly well.

Pac-Man Championship Edition: Update of the arcade classic. Touchsceen swipes to move, tilt controls don't seem to work.

Maze Runner: Pac-Man clone. Touchscreen works well for controls.

Frogger: An official edition. Works well.

Blast: Similar to Galaga, but not nearly as good as the arcade game. Controls are sluggish.

Invadroid: Similar to Space Invaders, quality similar to Blast above.

Radiant Lite: Space shooter, takes a number of elements from classic arcade games and reworks it for Android. Controls work pretty well, not a bad game. (As you can tell, I like classic arcade games.)

Jewels: Fun casual game. Pretty much just like the PC version.

Crazy Snowboard: Nice looking snowboard jump / trick game. Tilt device to steer works well. (I found that a lot of games that use tilt to steer don't work on the NC - Steel Wings, some race games, not sure why.)

Space Buster: Breakout type game. Works fine

Other Apps:

Calc+: Calculator with some more advanced functions like Trig functions, PI, Factorials, etc. No graphing though. Wish it had a larger input screen instead of just a single entry line.

Simple Spreadsheet: I haven't played with this much but it runs and seems to have basic spreadsheet functionality at least.

Mini Note: A very basic notepad app.

ETA:

Remote Web Desktop: Nice app for wireless file transfers and several other features. I've only messed with file xfers. Free version limits you to 2 files and 10MB at a time. But works slick through a web browser on your PC. I tried this and Wifi File Explorer and this one has a nicer interface but costs more for the full version ($2.60 vs $0.99). I haven't tried either paid version but RWD seems like it would be nicer for multiple files transfers vs Wifi FE's requirement that you zip to one file then unzip on the NC.

Droid Comic Viewer: Also called ACV. I know this has been mentioned before but let me say that this is a killer app for NC. Works great with .CBZ and CBR (so far all I've tried). You need to use an on screen button app like Softkeys or Button Savior since this runs full screen. Very customizable controls that once you get them set up how you like them, work great. I actually prefer reading comics on the 7" NC over my 10.1" Netbook screen. Pan, zoom, etc just work better with the touchscreen, IMO. Landscape mode does not fit to width of screen, unfortunately - I need to investigate more on that.

Last edited by SammyWI; 01-02-2011 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added info
SammyWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM   #449
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
My list of installed apps

Here are all of the apps that I have installed right now (all working). I've had many others, but these are my keepers so far.

Games:

Air Control
Air Attack
Air Hockey Deluxe
Angry Birds
Angry Birds Seasons
Asphalt 5
Barrr
Bebbled
Blow Up
Bubble Blast Holiday
City Jump
Doodle Bowling
Doodle Jump
Droid mini Golf
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeon Hunter
EVAC HD
Flight Director
Gem Miner: Dig Deeper
Hungry Shark
Jewels
Krazy Kart Racing
Labyrinth
Live Hold em Pro
Ninjump
N.O.V.A.
Paper Toss
Pool Break Pro
Robo Defense
Raging Thunder 2
Shoot U!
Slice It
Steambirds
Uniwar
Wordfeud
Word Up
Word Wrench

Entertainment:

3-d Gallery
Pulse
Peter Griffin Soundboard
Google Earth
Listen
Doggcatcher
Facebook
Movies
Quickpedia
Epicurious

Audio/Video:

ESPN Radio
iheartradio
Last FM
Real Player
Rock Player
Slacker
Slingplayer
Tune in Radio
TV.com
Winamp
Youtube

Reading:

ACV
Aldiko
Amazon Kindle
Comixology
Instafetch
Laputa
Perfect Viewer

Utilities:

Advanced Task Killer
Appbrain
Astrid Tasks
Astro
Bookmarks To SD
Button Savior
Calculator
Es File Explorer
Gmail
Home Switcher
Jorte
Nook Color Tools
Real Calc
Set CPU
Spare Parts
Superuser
Titanium Backup
Z4Root

Browsers:

Dolphin Browser HD
Skyfire

Sports:

Yahoo Live Scores
NFL Feeds
Sportstap
Steelers News
TSX Steelers

Shopping:

ebay

Widgets:

Beautiful Widgets
Pure Calendar

Live Wallpapers:

Christmas Magic
Coca Cola Snowglobe
Falling Snow
Stock Android Wallpapers
Aquarium

Launcher:

Zeam

Whew!!!

Last edited by Noah98; 09-05-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #450
lisadawn
lisadawn began at the beginning.

Device: original kindle,k3,sony 530,classic nook(sold), nc(sold)nook touch
I rooted! Took a bit for me to figure out how to sucessfully save to sd card but I did it!!!Reading a kindle book now from my kindle archives!
lisadawn is offline   Reply With Quote