Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
Cranky or not... he hit the nail on the head. My wife asked me if I was going to "upgrade" my kindle to an Ipad.

She and the majority of apple "fanboys" don't understand the difference between the two. Sad.
I know the difference between the two!

One I can read in the dark without a book light.

And the other I can read outdoors without swearing about the glare.

This is why you need both.

Seriously, fanboys of all products drive me nuts. There are pros and cons to every device and every operating system. Each one can do SOMETHING better than the others, and something worse (or not at all). It's really no big deal, none of them are perfect. Such is life.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #17
*reg*
Human
*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.*reg* is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo, iPhone
I'm an Apple fan. Love my Mac and iPhone.

Yet as you can see to the left, I'm getting a Kobo.

When the news was first announced about the iPad I was a bit of a 'fanboy' - "oooooh new apple product, must have".

But then I actually did stop and think about it. I have an iPhone and all I would really want the iPad for is to read books, and I wasn't going to spend that much for that.

Although it is very 'sexy'. Kudos to them for their great marketing, packaging etc.
*reg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #18
BenLee
eReader Junkie
BenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheeseBenLee can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle + Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Perhaps with the antenna issues a lot of those fanboys will need open heart surgery in the near future.

Anyway, the author is right on the money. When obvious faults are being defended as "features" that is when fanboism starts.
If people should become fanboys for anything, it should not be for a mere phone with apps...no no no

Not when we have super cool robots that play soccer and fall down
BenLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #19
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I wonder how much anti-Apple readers are contributing to Apple stories and blog posts. I figure writers will keep writing 'em as long as they get hits, and maybe anti-Apple people are contributing a lot of clicks. I read relatively few iPad stories, because I already bought the device. I read a bunch before I decided to buy. ... Typically, if I decide not to buy something, I don't read any more articles once I've decided, because I'm then apathetic. I get the impression that anti-Apple people follow news about the company, though.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I get the impression that anti-Apple people follow news about the company, though.
That is definitely true. The overblown hype (the article mentions a few prime examples) and the fact that a lot of the bloggers, reviewers, etc. seem to in Apple's pockets and part of Steve's grand marketing scheme apparently compels a lot of people to speak up against Apple -- sort of an effort to try to create more balance and a (probably futile) attempt to highlight a few of the drawbacks to unsuspecting prospective buyers who don't do their homework.

In a way Apple is becoming a victim of its own success, see Microsoft a number of years back. The more they sell, the more problems their products will have and there will be more and more people who buy their products only to find out they are not quite getting what they expected.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #21
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I just love Dvorak. Especially the part where he writes the ipad is just a great toy.
Well, yeah. Somehow it is. I wanted one, I got one, I still use my eInk for novels.

It's still great having the ipad, too. My Sony doesn't let me browse the internet and I wouldn't want to have a netbook or tote around my 17" laptop.

The ipad is great for just what it is. And that may be just real different for everyone owning one.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
The ipad is great for just what it is. And that may be just real different for everyone owning one.
That's the nice thing about it - it is so very flexible. For me, it's a very good mobile web browser, mail client, and book reader. For others, it may be a mobile gaming platform, or a video player. Different strokes, etc.

There are some things, however, that it's definitely not good at. An eInk book reader is still much better for outdoor use, or for situations where you want to go away for a week and not have to worry about charging.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM   #23
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLee View Post
I appreciate the man for going against the grain a bit. ...
I do, too. Unfortunately lots of magazines won't allow this. It's politically and financially incorrect to raise sometimes valid objections about products from advertisers. I subscribe to several motorcycle magazines and most reviews report every motorcycle to be perfect, when we know this is not true. If anything negative is mentioned, it's of a minor nature and they quickly apologize for mentioning it. This is why I give practically no "credit" to professional reviewers.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #24
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Actually, Dvorak was not commenting on Apple Fanboys ... he was commenting on other (professional?) writers (and editors in charge of them) who had gone off the deep-end in writing reviews that sounded like promotion of Apple iPad and which was all out of proportion to the evidence they brought in writing to prove the superlatives expended. There is some truth to that.

But why Dvorak had to waste his electronic breath on the topic is an entirely other issue. Perhaps that's what makes him a columnist.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But why Dvorak had to waste his electronic breath on the topic is an entirely other issue. Perhaps that's what makes him a columnist.
I'd perhaps hazzard a guess that he's being paid for it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #26
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Dvorak's 'Cranky Geeks' show is brilliant. It's a panel discussion on the last week of tech news and he has some good guests too.

http://www.crankygeeks.com/
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #27
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Quote:
It's a PHONE...with some apps....not a device that performs open heart surgery!
You want to put money on that?
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Stop the Apple fanboy articles...
I don't know why anybody is really surprised. It happens every time Apple releases a product.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #29
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I totally agree. I heard the journalists at Steve Jobs' keynote got a free iPhone to test.

No wonder the reviews are that positive.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Boy, Dvorak hit the nail on the head. Doesn't matter if the fanboys he's referring to are the writers or the customers, I belong to various computer and media forums and the vehemence with which any perceived criticism of Apple or its products is immediately rebutted carries through on all of its product lines. One would think that Apple products were handed down from the hand of God Himself, listening to them. The only people who out-snob them are Linux users. ;->
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote