Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Help me to see differently.
I doubt I could do that.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I doubt I could do that.
Me either. I've look at this from all sides and I just don't see a more compelling circumstance for the publishers.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 03:10 PM   #18
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Fictionwise already sells short stories, and has been for years. My sister has a ton of them. And I think you handing the ebook 'prize' to Amazon is a little premature. If you read the buzz these days, it's all about 'Kindle, Sony and Nook are all fine options, until the magical game-changing and inevitable Apple Tablet comes along...' Which, I am not sure I agree with THAT viewpoint either, necessarily. But I am just saying, it's far too early to say that Amazon is in any way, shape or form the 'winner.'
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
In terms of sheer numbers of short stories and novellas, Fictionwise, AFAIK, is the leader. Want all of Kage Baker's short "Company" stories? Fictionwise. Want some classic Robert Silverberg? Fictionwise. Etc.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Another reason why Amazon not supporting epub is no big deal. When publishers want to reach the core group of people with e-book readers, they go with the Kindle. I suspect it will be very hard to ever change this.
No big deal ?
Most publishers in countries that is are the US uses ePub only. I will not buy a reader that won't read books from my own contry. Sony understood that, amazon did not. Most of the manufacturers have published an update to read ePub. Even books on board, a US website, sell some book ePub only...

Until amazon understand that too, thier market share outside US will be limited. You can't be compatible with only yourself, and expect it to work.
Even apple wasn't that stupid, iPods read the standard that is mp3...

And even in the US, i think amazon's market share was closer to 50% than 90% (that actually surprised me).

Last edited by EowynCarter; 12-05-2009 at 03:59 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I would be worried if I thought this was even close to "cornering the market". But the whole attitude of "you must only publish in our exclusive format" just stinks on ice.

Amazon is certainly moving toward cornering the market on my disgust.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #22
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Me either. I've look at this from all sides and I just don't see a more compelling circumstance for the publishers.
That said, I see more and more reasons why new Authors should eschew the current publishing schemes and cut themselves in for a slice of the pie.

I am quite willing to perise fan forums to find new authors at a better price than the established houses. [B]especially[B] if my paytment goes entirely to the author.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm not entirely convinced that selling two short stories precisely constitutes "cornering the market"...

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #24
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I see Amazon as filling that bill in a way no one else does.
Why? Amazon has nothing on any of the other Ebook distributors particularly.

Baen if anyone has more of the short story market. The have been publishing and distributing stories electronically for years.

Various short story magazines are available there by subscription or individually as well as via Amazon. I believe Sony has some as well and certainly short story book collections.

I've seen many stories available directly from authors websites either free or for sale. I suspect this is going to be more the future. Find an author you like and buy direct to support them (and for a better price).

P.S. I think is great if it raises the exposure of short stories in a positive way since that is my favorite form of fiction and it is sorely lacking in the ebook world.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-05-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
$3.99 for a short story? Are they insane? Oh, and great, now they're digitally locking in authors to one device (because you know that...Er...works)
Yes it's a lot for a short story imo, te price should scale a bit more so the really short works are covered as well as novella. I would pay $2-5 for a short story by an indie author depending on how much I liked their work and the quality/length of the work.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #26
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
In terms of sheer numbers of short stories and novellas, Fictionwise, AFAIK, is the leader.
I was just perusing their site. I didn't realize this:

Quote:
Fictionwise (TM) is the trademark of Fictionwise LLC.
A Barnes & Noble Company
Anyway -- we'll see.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #27
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Yes it's a lot for a short story imo, te price should scale a bit more so the really short works are covered as well as novella. I would pay $2-5 for a short story by an indie author depending on how much I liked their work and the quality/length of the work.
$2-5 for a short story? You're more generous than I. Maybe for a collection of shorts, possibly.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:59 PM   #28
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
What determines the difference between a $3.99 Amazon short story and a $0.49 Amazon short story?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1260053767
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
What determines the difference between a $3.99 Amazon short story and a $0.49 Amazon short story?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...qid=1260053767
the $3.99 stories are selected by The Atlantic

+ that $2.00 fee for international.

Last edited by kennyc; 12-05-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #30
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
I think the title of the thread is a bit of a reach. The real story here is that we are seeing some support for the short story from a big player on the book scene. It's nice to see some love for a format that has been ailing in the last ten to twenty years. As far as pricing goes, I'm guessing $3.99 is too much for most short stories; $1.99 seems like a more realistic price point. The market will have the final word though.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go kindle go, no epub