Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Thalia Helikon
Enthusiast
Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle n-T, Nook Color Tablet, Nexus 6
Question Calibre Library on portable drive

I have a ginormous portable USB drive where I keep my Calibre Library and database. I purchased Paragon NTFS software which allows my Mac to read and write on the drive. Normally, I work on the Mac G4 which runs Calibre 7.2.8, but occasionally I move to the office to use the PC, which is running Calibre 8.3.3 right now.

However, the folder where my Calibre library is located shows up completely empty on the PC!! I use Explorer with folders, and when I click the containing folder, it shows up as 0 kb, with no files or folders inside. What I have done recently is "save to disk" and make a complete copy of the library and copy the metadata.db file over, and use that folder as a sandbox.

I am appreciative of your assistance, but please don't flippantly suggest that I ditch my Mac. I will stoically accept if complete system incompatibility will prevent my Mac and my PC from reading the same Library from a portable hard drive, if that is indeed the case. But if you don't know that, please refrain from taunting my G4.
Thalia Helikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Why did you need to use the extra NTFS driver (and NTFS)?
Couldn't you have just have formatted the drive FAT32 which could be read like a USB pen drive?

Ginormus? 2T? 1T?
Hey! I found a stray IDE drive in a box I was cleaning.
I Googled the model #:
A Whopping 245MB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are rather a lot of differences in filesystems between OS X and windows. One in particular that might be affecting you is max filename length. Windows Explorer cannot deal with files whoose total path is more than 255 characters.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.2.8, library, mac, ntfs, portable hard drive