Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 AM   #661
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Wow. I finally got nook for Mac to open instead of hanging. (right-click "back", right-click "forward" in opening screen)
Nook for Mac works ok for me (at least with a US account) with Mountain Lion. It wasn't officially supported for awhile, but it is now. I have read that several people have had the same problem you do and have reported your solution above works to fix it. I have also seen B&N staff on their support page recommend to create a subfolder in Applications and then move the B&N app into the subfolder. Not sure why that would make a difference.

Silly me. I found my missing books. I forgot that I had archived the ones that I already read.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #662
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
And I have 1414 Books in my library. I think two of these are freebies I 'bought' at nook UK.

Now to see if I can get a list if them easily.
OK, by using the sqlite3 command line on the ClientAPI.db file I have managed to extract a list of books.

Rather to my surprise, this list is 1434 books long, not the 1414 showing in nook for Mac. I suspect some must be placeholders. Exactly which ones, I'll have to find out some other way.

However, comparing this list to my Fictionwise list, I find that I have all my Fictionwise library transferred except for 18 titles that were on their list of excluded books, and three mysteriously missing titles. I also have three mysterious titles that should not be in the list!

My missing books are
The Lord of the Rings [Combines the 3 Volume Series] by J.R.R. Tolkien
Light Play [Book 1 of The Light Play Trilogy] by N. D. Hansen-Hill
C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton

The extra books are
The Two Towers (Lord of the Rings Trilogy #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbone
Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon Series #13) by James Doss

Clearly, somehow, the three extras have been substituted for the three unexpectedly missing.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:23 AM   #663
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Nothing in mine - and after a "chat", yesterday, I doubt there will be anything at anytime - I was told to ring Fictionwise! and then B&N in the US - despite me telling the lady that I couldn't.

What a ****************************<<<<Insert appropriate words !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #664
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A "chat", this time with B&N.com - and they are unable to help, either.

Get someone to phone the necessary department on my behalf - but I don't see why I should have to rely on others when if the correct avenues for contact were in place, I would be able to do it myself.

Insert more **** as appropriate !
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #665
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My missing books are

The extra books are
The Two Towers (Lord of the Rings Trilogy #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Stealing Freedom by Elisa Carbone
Snake Dreams (Charlie Moon Series #13) by James Doss
Now reported (via Skype) to B&N.

Yes, they do know about the LoTR/Two Towers mixup, so I expect that will get sorted eventually.

Now that I do have very nearly all my books in my nook account, I'm pleased. Just disappointed that they haven't made best use of this opportunity to impress and retain new customers to the nook platform.

Has anyone else in the UK got their books yet apart from Josieb1 and me? Especially anyone who hasn't been in contact by phone with B&N support?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #666
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I haven't chased B&N, and my UK Nook account is empty. Not had any correspondence from them after initially registering.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #667
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
I haven't chased B&N, and my UK Nook account is empty. Not had any correspondence from them after initially registering.
Glad I'm not alone ....
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #668
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
FYI, this one's on the list of titles unavailable for transfer.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #669
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thank you, so it is! One mystery solved.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #670
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Now reported (via Skype) to B&N.

Yes, they do know about the LoTR/Two Towers mixup, so I expect that will get sorted eventually.
I'm not holding out much hope. This one was reported to them in the first day of the US transfers. I keep checking this thread to see if *anybody* is getting their transfer done correctly. If after two months they still haven't accomplished correction of the most blatant/widespread error, I don't feel confident that they ever will.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #671
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
My missing books are
Sigh. I made a mistake, as has been pointed out. Light Play is legitimately missing (i.e. it's in the list of untransferrable titles)

And some that were in the untransferrable list nevertheless seem to have transferred!

I am still missing The Lord of the Rings and C is for Corpse. Having checked again, I am also missing
The Grand Finale by Janet Evanovich
The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie

It's only the Tolkien and the Christie that I'm at all concerned about.

Checking my list again, and removing non-books (subscriptions, audio books and duplicates) I seem to have had 1425 actual books in my Fictionwise library. Seventeen are on the "no transfer" list and haven't transferred. Four haven't transferred.

So that's 1404/1425 transferred, over 98.5%.

So how come my nook library has 1414? I've now double-checked the list in the nook for Mac (yes, by scrolling through it!).

One was already in my account.
Two are duplicates (must be slightly different editions)
One is Pride and Prejudice, presumably a B&N freebie
Two are samples
One is the guide to the nook
Three are unexpected books.

That's a total of 10 books in my B&N account that aren't in my count of fictionwise transfers.

1404 = 1414-10

Hooray. The numbers match.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #672
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Glad I'm not alone ....
You definitely aren't. I'm still in the same boat. I decided I wasn't going to call, I've got my backups in place, but I dunno, maybe I will.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #673
SASSBS
Connoisseur
SASSBS doesn't litterSASSBS doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard; Kindle Fire
OK this is getting more embarrassing for B&N.

When I go to the UK site and click Books nothing shows in my Library, yet if I go to the USA site it works fine but won't let me download the books from the website.

If I log in to the UK on an app I get Pre-Order on half the books, yet the US version shows these up fine.

I cannot download from the UK App store but changing to US works on the IPAD. Phoned and also chatted with them online, they are clueless and don't know what to do the lady I spoke to said "So what you never purchased them from us" and hung up.

Does anyone know a email/postal address for B&N UK that is not for "support"?
SASSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #674
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASSBS View Post
OK this is getting more embarrassing for B&N.

When I go to the UK site and click Books nothing shows in my Library, yet if I go to the USA site it works fine but won't let me download the books from the website.
I have the same (although it lets me download from the USA site), even if I order books at the UK site it charges me the US amount and adds them to the US site (Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to bypass geo restrictions or I wouldn't care), tried in multiple browsers and sent them screenshots from all of them - all support ever told me was that everything was working fine (I have given up on B&N now, too much hassle)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #675
GeoffC

Me thinks they've lost potential customers.