Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
Mouhamad Kawas
Mouhamad Kawas began at the beginning.

Device: none
How we can contribute in the project?

Dear Sirs,

My name is Mouhamad Kawas Master of web sciences and B.S in Software Engineering, I'm currently work with my friend Maha Saiasnh she holds MS in Marketing management and B.S in Artificial Intelligence.

We are so interested in learning about e-book reader and ePUB format, so, when we start learn about those topics, we found the calibre project, we download the source code and try to understand it and we are so happy when we found that code was written in python language, this doesn't mean we are so good in this languages but we are so interested in learning it more and more.

For now, we are working so hard in learning from you to be more productive in calibre project, so please advise us how we can start? what is the best IDE to work on it? how we can contribute in the project?

I'm looking forward to hear from you and thank you,

Best Regards
Mouhamad and Maha
Mouhamad Kawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Mouhamad/Maha - welcome to MobileRead. How to contribute kind of depends on what you want to "do"?

If you want a safe playground to experiment in, then writing plugins is a pretty good way to start, it is how I did. A lot of calibre's functionality is based on plugins and it is a way of adding some functionality without any of the potential issues of clashing with changes Kovid and chaley etc are making to the main codebase. If you want to get started with those, read the sticky at the top of this forum, and if you feel so inclined look through the code of any of the plugins either included in calibre or available in the plugins subforum here. You might have your own ideas for a feature, or you can look through the plugin ideas sticky thread for what others have requested (there is an index at the front). Not all of those are possible as plugins specifically (or necessarily desirable to others) but they can trigger other ideas. If you do go down the plugin route feel free to open a thread to ask for user input, just in case it is something I or someone else has planned/in progress, or we can point you to something similar to base it on.

If you want to make changes to the main calibre codebase, I'm sure Kovid has a list of stuff that he isn't imminently working on himself. Obviously he vets and tweaks any patches to the main calibre code, but there are always lower priority things which we would love to see available but haven't had time to look into ourselves yet.

As for physically getting started - read this page on getting setup with the source code etc. For IDE I use Eclipse with pyDev, some people use Aptana, and Kovid uses vim I believe. There is a thread here for how to setup your IDE, most of it is relevant to Eclipse or Aptana.

Have fun and feel free to ask questions... there's some mighty clever folks here like Kovid & chaley who know the calibre codebase inside and out to point you in the right directions...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Also, if you're multilingual, there may be translations that need work. I realize this is not as sexy as contributing code, but it's worthwhile nevertheless if you want to contribute.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Mouhamad Kawas
Mouhamad Kawas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you, we are looking now to the main code, we are really intrested in understanding the code, so, we are starting now in the Viewer code in the src folder, if you can help us to find a good strategy to understand it quickly plz confirm us and thank you again.

we are looking your help
Mouhamad Kawas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contribute, e-reader, ebook, epub, python