Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #271
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by affa View Post
There should be a little zip file somewhere full of people's favorite background images that work well as generic book covers.
I think DrNefario summed it up: 'Not freely distributable'

Unless the Image is GPL, it is best to leave this collecting up to the individual user.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #272
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I created the (hopefully) attached image as a test. I seem to have slightly misremembered the default size, too, but the plugin can clear that up. It uses transparency to blend with the background colour, so you can have many variations from the one image.

Feel free to use it as you like.

I'm planning to make several more variants with different patterns and different title text areas. I wasted quite a lot of time today trying to figure out why my transparency wasn't working, only to find that it had been working all along, but Paintshop Pro had decided not to show it. And things are also complicated by the fact that I have no art packages on this machine, with Calibre on it, and no Calibre on my work machine, with the art package. Still, more tomorrow, I hope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stripes.png
Views:	461
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	88081
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #273
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think DrNefario summed it up: 'Not freely distributable'

Unless the Image is GPL, it is best to leave this collecting up to the individual user.
true, but there is plenty of GPL clipart... but it's a chore to go through and find ones that look classy and not cartoonish. a cartoony pile of books is of no interest to me, but a beautiful deco, or celtic, or [fill in the blank] border might be.
affa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #274
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by affa View Post
true, but there is plenty of GPL clipart... but it's a chore to go through and find ones that look classy and not cartoonish. a cartoony pile of books is of no interest to me, but a beautiful deco, or celtic, or [fill in the blank] border might be.
Dover (the publisher) has lots of 'Royalty free' clip art books for sale cheap ( lots of Celtic frames in that lot) They also have CD's full of the art (but not quite as cheap)

And I agree, most of the free clipart is cartoon-ish
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #275
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I believe for artwork and the like, "Creative Commons" is usually the license used for freely distributable content. Unfortunately, a lot of them do look cartoonish.

@DrNefario
Would you be able to create something similar to this but with a much smaller left margin? Would be great if the leather grain size could be reduced, too.
http://openclipart.org/detail/95545/...book-by-rg1024

The generic covers iBooks makes are pretty decent, too.
Spoiler:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ibooks-fanfic.jpg
Views:	2048
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	88146  
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #276
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm no artist, I'm afraid, so it's quite unlikely, but I might give it a go when I have some time.

I like those ones from iBooks. I wonder if there's a way to borrow them.

I now have the pieces to make several more semi-transparent covers like the one above, but I probably won't manage to put them together until the weekend.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #277
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I believe for artwork and the like, "Creative Commons" is usually the license used for freely distributable content. ...
True, but "freely distributable" doesn't mean that they can be altered. Using them for a book cover would be altering the image. Only when the CC work doesn't restrict changes and alterations (the No Derivatives flag) should you use it as a component in a cover. Also, CC works often require that give the creator credit for the work (the Attribution flag in the CC license).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #278
affa
Connoisseur
affa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheeseaffa can extract oil from cheese

most things can be altered for personal use, but i agree it wouldn't be able to be part of any collection. i grabbed a nice greyscale textbook style illustration of an animal i like, and use that. it looks good. anyway, sorry i sort of derailed this thread. though i suppose talking about the generic covers we get to use THANKS to this awesome plugin is sort of on topic.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #279
DrNefario
Wizard

I've put together a set of covers based on semi-transparent textures. I'm not brilliantly happy with them, but some of them seem to work quite nicely.

The file's about 3Mb (mostly due to one of the four textures compressing much less well than the others, but it's probably the nicest one, so I left it in), and it's available from my Dropbox here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39906743/covers.zip

They can be freely used, redistributed, changed, sold (good luck with that), whatever you want.

Here are a few examples of how they blend with the background colour:

Name:	wiw_cover.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	88227Click image for larger version

Name:	md_cover.jpg
Views:	1390
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	88226Click image for larger version

Name:	aoi_cover.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	88225
Old 06-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #280
affa
Connoisseur

very nice!
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #281
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've put together a set of covers based on semi-transparent textures. I'm not brilliantly happy with them, but some of them seem to work quite nicely.

The file's about 3Mb (mostly due to one of the four textures compressing much less well than the others, but it's probably the nicest one, so I left it in), and it's available from my Dropbox here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39906743/covers.zip

They can be freely used, redistributed, changed, sold (good luck with that), whatever you want.

Here are a few examples of how they blend with the background colour:

Attachment 88227Attachment 88226Attachment 88225
The cover for Woman in White is a bit harsh. They other two, not bad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #282
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
@DrNefario

Thanks for those covers.
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #283
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
I have finally gotten around to playing with this plugin. I've been able to generate a cover that has all the metadata I want on it. However, I noticed that if I include a space for data from a custom column in the custom text section, it will show up on the cover even if the book does not have that data. Is there a way to have that information not show up on the cover if there is no metadata in the column?

For example, in the attached picture there are two fields that do not have data (Warning and Genre). Is there some code I can put at the beginning of those lines so that they will not show up with empty fields? I want it to be like the series check mark. If it is there, it will show up on the cover, if it is not there, the entire line will not show up.

I'm probably missing some easy step.

- Jade Aislin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	empty data.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	88762  
Jade Aislin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #284
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Jade, I am sure there is an answer within the template language syntax, using some variant of: {#warning:ifempty(x,'')}. What the x is is to concatenate the word "Warning " and $ for the current value is I have no idea, I've never grokked the template syntax. Perhaps chaley or another template language guru will spot this and can help. As per not so far back in this thread you can add newline characters into the x part of your expression with \n.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #285
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The easiest way to handle this situation is to use a prefix in the template. The prefix is added only if the field is not empty. For example, warning would be
Code:
{#warnings:|Warning: |}
and genre would be
Code:
{#genre:|Genre: |}
for more explanation, see Advanced formatting in the user manual.

Of course, it could be done with the test function. For example, the following examples in template program mode and general program mode work. However, unless the computation is more complicated than strcat, it isn't worth the trouble.
Code:
{#warnings:'test($, strcat('Warning: ', $), '')'}
or
Code:
program:
	v = field('#warnings');
	test(v, strcat('Warning: ', v), '')
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote