Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
Every book in my library now doubled up on my 505

I bought some books today and was charging my reader with no issue. Then all of a sudden all the books on my Reader 505 became doubled. Now I have 2 of every book on the device. I have never had this issue before and don't know how to solve it.
If I try to delete the 'new' version of the book with todays date.... I get the can't be moved directly error.... I don't get it. That might delete the book from my library on my PC and I don't want to do that....

How can I fix this? I tried a search and didn't see anything that was really similar.

Thanks in advance!
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That also happened to me twice.

I'm going to suggest something that has always worked for me. I've done this 3 times: two out of necessity, and one time just to see if it worked.

However, before I explain this, you should also get a second opinion from another source.

This is what I do:

1) Make certain you have sync turned on in the "Ebook Library" software. If you have categories (or not), that's no problem.

2) Make certain that all your books are actually ON the "Ebook Library" software; now:

3) Close the "Ebook Library" software.

4) Turn on your PRS-505 and make note of your bookmarks. Write down the page numbers on a piece of paper.

5) Now, with "Ebook Library" STILL closed, plug in your PRS-505. Open it as a disk and throw away all the files. (Put them all in a folder on your desktop until things are ok.)

6.) Unplug the PRS-505 and wait until it shows NO books on the Reader. Now turn it off.

7.) Open "Ebook Library" -- again, make certain that you have sync turned on.

8.) Plug in your empty PRS-505 and every book IN the library, after a brief scanning period, will be automatically synced to your PRS-505.

I hope this helps. Please get another opinion, just to be safe.

Thanks,
Don

P.S.: Make certain the titles are indeed NOT doubled in the "Ebook Library.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Oh.. one other thing to do... make your you write down what pages you were at in which books so you'll know where to go when you do sort things out.

And before you do turn sync on, move all the contents of the 505 from the 505's internal memory to your computer. Then with no centent, checka nd see what your 505 shows. If it shows no centent, plug it back into the USB port and use eBook Library to copy all the content back and recreate any collections you had and srot the books as need be. Then go to each one you were reading, go to the page you left off and voila, fixed without sync. auto-sync is more a pain in the ass then it's worth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
Thanks for the tip. I will have to do this. I am leaving for a trip for the weekend and don't want to mess with it until I am back, just in case I screw my reader for the weekend! That would not be good!

Is this a common things btw? I have never had this happen to me before since I bought my reader in Feb. And I connect and add books a lot.

Thanks again.

Ian
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Yes, I also connect and add/delete books a lot.

My problems happened initially with me when I was playing around with an SD card.

Frankly, I got tired of the large lag time. This has now been correced because of these reasons (I believe):

I no longer use an SD card
The recent update
More ram in my computer

Anyway, since those changes, my PRS-505 works beautifully. The upgrade on the firmware is great, in my opinion. I've decided I really don't need 500-600 books on my Reader, but only about 300 .

Now I'm happy. The Reader is robust and there are a lot more alternatives on what format/file I can put on the device.

Have a good trip this weekend.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be honest, this is the first time I've heard of such happening. Now I hear it's happened twice.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:42 AM   #7
Gaspode
Gaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeGaspode possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, iPhone
I've been having the same problem just recently. I've only had my reader for a week and I can't pinpoint when this first started. It seems that every time eLibrary synchronises, I get a duplicate copy of every book. The next time I connect my reader I get another copy.

I'm a bit nervous about trying Dr. Drib's solution until I have finished the ebook I bought in Adobe Digital Editions format. This was not synchronised through the Sony eLibrary.

As a temporary work around, I can get rid of the duplicates by chaning the synchronisation settings. For example if it is currently set to synchronise the entire library to the main memory, if I change it to sync just the books, the sync will delete all books and just add one copy of each book. The next time I sync, I change it back to full library and it keeps going.

Once I've finished reading my bought book, I'll try Dr. Drib's solution and see if this fixes it permanently. I'm wondering if it started playing up when I installed Calibre and used it to send a book to my device.
Gaspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I think it's a bug in their sync coding. It happens on both my 505's and my 700. It's super annoying, as I spent 15 - 20 minutes today just deleting duplicates.

Mine only seems to happen on books that I have not purchased directly thru Sony. Everything in the library that is un-DRM'd just seems to copy over and over and over again.

Best suggestion is to manually transfer the un-DRM'd books or store them on a memory card to avoid other problems with them.

Books purchased through Sony directly seem to work just fine
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have tried auto-sync and it was not all that useful. I did turn it off and it's just easier to add content manually or to manually sync.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
mvidberg
mvidberg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I recently got a PRS-505 and I am having the same problem. I suddenly started getting extra copies every time I plugged my reader into the usb and ran the elibrary software. I was up to 4 or 5 copies of each book before I said screw it!.. and installed Calibre and am using that instead. Now if I purchase a book, i just save it externally using the elibrary and import into calibre. Calibre is a bit buggy as well, every time I add a new book, the reader erases all my bookmarks and last page settings. (meaning I always have to make notes of where I am in each book) A bit of a pain, but better than having every book keep multiplying! I really enjoy reading books on my reader, but I am convinced this product is NOT ready for mass market yet. I mean really, it should just work without this kind of nonsense.
mvidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Like JS Wolf--I just set the Sony software not to sync. I then just drag the books that I want on the reader to the reader. Works well for me.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
nievans1
nievans1 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have a similar problem but with a twist.....

On connecting my 505 to a new PC (old one crashed terminally), all the books in the reader are tagged for sync, but nothing synchronises with the Library software. If I transfer a book to the Library manually, I get a duplicate appearing in the Reader after a sync.

Could it perhaps be due to the fact that the Reader had these books tagged for sync on my old PC?

Only option seems to be to copy all books to Library and delete manually on the Reader. Any thoughts on how I could do this more quickly?

All comments welcomed; I'm totally flummuxed !
nievans1 is offline   Reply With Quote