Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
The return of Special Offers?

The new Kindle Paperwhite has the following blurb about Special Offers:

Quote:
Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle Paperwhite. Examples of past special offers include:
$10 for a $20 Amazon.com Gift Card
Save up to $500 on select HDTVs
$1 for a Kindle book, choose from thousands
Your offers display on your Kindle Paperwhite's screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading.
I'm hopeful that by Amazon including this wording on the sales page, there will be some "real" special offers on the new Kindles and not just local deals or sales available to all.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I hope so too. We haven't really had any "special offers" in a long time.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I hope so too. Occasionally we get to choose one book out of 100 for about $3 or $4, but that is never a truly great offer. I really miss the gift cards and real deals. I've never been interested in any of the local deals as most are for overpriced items at stores I don't shop and most of the stores are 20+ miles away. I just bought a Kindle Paperweight SO, so I hope there are enough truly good offers to help offset the higher price and tax I had to pay for it!
Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Are these offers going to be available for other Kindle owners with "special offers," or are these ones going to be exclusive to the PW's?
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Are these offers going to be available for other Kindle owners with "special offers," or are these ones going to be exclusive to the PW's?
Interesting question. I noticed that the same blurb also appears on the new Kindle Fires (all of which appear to have SO's by default), so whether the specials will be device specific is yet to be seen.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
Interesting question. I noticed that the same blurb also appears on the new Kindle Fires (all of which appear to have SO's by default), so whether the specials will be device specific is yet to be seen.
But given the clever rhetoric they used to describe the new K4 as a truly new and improved device when in fact it is merely a black version of the current K4, I wouldn't trust anything Amazon is posting. Their rhetoric on describing the new K4 was just short of being lies, and it is very much misleading and I believe that was their intent. If I had to make a guess at this point I would say we probably won't see any good SOs, only those crappy local deals that are not really deals.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
They'll also be available for the Kindle ($69) and Kindle Keyboard. Click the link next to the selection boxes for each device and you'll see a pop up box that specifically mentions the Kindle chosen.
  • You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle.
  • You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle Paperwhite.
  • You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle Keyboard.
So it looks like Amazon is about to restart Special Offers again and make it available for all Special Offer models. Sure hope so.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
They'll also be available for the Kindle ($69) and Kindle Keyboard. Click the link next to the selection boxes for each device and you'll see a pop up box that specifically mentions the Kindle chosen.
  • You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle.
  • You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle Paperwhite.
  • You'll receive special offers and sponsored screensavers directly on your Kindle Keyboard.
So it looks like Amazon is about to restart Special Offers again and make it available for all Special Offer models. Sure hope so.
I hope so, but I'm skeptical. My first one was a K3 SO and I saved enough with the SO to buy the K4 SO when it was released. I subsequently saved enough on the K4 SO to buy the K5 SO (KT), but haven't had many offers worth noting on the K5 SO. Maybe $15 in savings over a 6 month period. The K3 SO was the best deal because there were no local deals at all. The K4 SO deal was okay, but not as good because they introduced the local deals. By the time I bought the K5 SO local deals were 90% of the deals, now they are 100%. I just pre-ordered a KPW SO so I hope we get real SOs again.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-07-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I hope so, but I'm skeptical. My first one was a K3 SO and I saved enough with the SO to buy the K4 SO when it was released. I subsequently saved enough on the K4 SO to buy the K5 SO (KT), but haven't had many offers worth noting on the K5 SO. Maybe $15 in savings over a 6 month period. The K3 SO was the best deal because there were no local deals at all. The K4 SO deal was okay, but not as good because they introduced the local deals. By the time I bought the K5 SO local deals were 90% of the deals, now they are 100%. I just pre-ordered a KPW SO so I hope we get real SOs again.
While Amazon continues to place lots of offers on our SO Kindles, there hasn't been a real Special Offer since 30 Apr 12. Real Special Offers require the use of a unique code that's only available to owners of SO Kindles.

The offers that have been our Kindles since April have been available to anyone with an Amazon account; therefore, they don't qualify as Special Offers.

Let's hope they have some really good offers. Under the initial SO program, the offers were fantastic. As time went on, they became less attractive and the frequency dwindled until it completely stopped. Chances are, Amazon will do the same thing this time around. But hey, a good deal is a good deal and I'll take advantage of it no matter how short the ride is.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
donald2020
donald2020 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hope so. It would be some "real" special offers when your purchase the new Kindle Paperwhite.
donald2020 is offline   Reply With Quote