Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Start collecting hardcovers, or not?
Yes, it's nice to have a great collection of good books. 55 51.89%
No, if you're not reading them, you're wasting money. 51 48.11%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #31
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
As said, some of those books would be read, as there are no ebook versions. The poll is still almost even. You're all evil, because now I still can't make up my mind; it's mainly because of the cost of some of these books.
The Freakonomics guys can help you. They've got a site going that will give you some stuff to help you through the decision process. If you're still undecided they'll solve it with the power of randomness.

"If you really can’t decide between two actions, a coin toss is as good as any other solution. Not only will it give you the answer. It will help our research."

https://www.freakonomicsexperiments.com/

If you sign up, they even promise some "Freakonomics swag". Weird science, but without Kelly LeBrock.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM   #32
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The presence of physical books in my home is akin to having comfort food in my kitchen cabinet. I may not want to eat it right now, but I know that it's there for when I want it.

No matter how how many ebooks I have, a house is not a home unless there are books in bookshelves, IMO.

I watch those various home shows on TV, the homes with their sleek modern interiors, sparingly furnished, clean lines, no clutter, and while that look appeals to me, I always find myself asking, "But where do they keep their books???"
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #33
setiani
setiani began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi all, my name is Setiani, I'm new in this forum.
My answer for this poling is yes, because in my opinion it is good to have a great collection of good books. They might be useful for us in the future.
setiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #34
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I once wanted a physical library. I dreamed about having a room just for books. I had a large collection of paper books. Four bookcases jammed full and 29 boxes I didn't have shelf space for. After getting my ereader I replaced about half with the ebooks and donated the paper books. It was liberating to no longer have all my space overrun with boxes. I'm also thinking of the future. I'm at the age when I need to start planning about needing to downsize to a smaller place and eventually look at retirement homes. Retirement apartments are tiny. In not too long a time I'll need to dispose of almost all my paper books because I simply won't have room for them. So I say no. Spend your money on something you'll actually use unless you have enough to just throw it away. I've been getting rid of a lot of physical stuff, not just books. Clothes that I don't like or don't fit. Appliances and tools I bought but never use. Art work that no longer appeals. The more I get rid of the freer I feel.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #35
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I once wanted a physical library. I dreamed about having a room just for books. I had a large collection of paper books. Four bookcases jammed full and 29 boxes I didn't have shelf space for. After getting my ereader I replaced about half with the ebooks and donated the paper books. It was liberating to no longer have all my space overrun with boxes. I'm also thinking of the future. I'm at the age when I need to start planning about needing to downsize to a smaller place and eventually look at retirement homes. Retirement apartments are tiny. In not too long a time I'll need to dispose of almost all my paper books because I simply won't have room for them. So I say no. Spend your money on something you'll actually use unless you have enough to just throw it away. I've been getting rid of a lot of physical stuff, not just books. Clothes that I don't like or don't fit. Appliances and tools I bought but never use. Art work that no longer appeals. The more I get rid of the freer I feel.
Exactly!
If someone really gets warm and fuzzy looking at a nice bookcase full of classics then go for it! Who am I to criticize?

But not for me. I'm from the 'Bic disposable' school of book collecting; read 'em, delete 'em and move on. Technology is changing too fast to try to collect a bunch of ebooks. If I ever get the urge to re-read a particular book in the future, I'm quite confident that it will be readily available in a convenient format. I don't need to own it. (All I need to do is remember the name of it, but that's another rant! And GoodReads can help me there)

Instead, I will expend my digital resources on things that are truly irreplaceable and have lasting personal value, like pictures of my family, trips taken, and other personal memories.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #36
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I'm at the age when I need to start planning about needing to downsize to a smaller place and eventually look at retirement homes. Retirement apartments are tiny.The more I get rid of the freer I feel.
All very good points. There is something to be said for only buying hardcover versions of books that cannot be obtained (or are unsuited) as an ebook.

I'm not at the age of retirement (that'll take at least another 34 years or so), but eventually, I'll get there. And my appartment isn't really big as it is.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
All very good points. There is something to be said for only buying hardcover versions of books that cannot be obtained (or are unsuited) as an ebook.

I'm not at the age of retirement (that'll take at least another 34 years or so), but eventually, I'll get there. And my appartment isn't really big as it is.
You have a few more moves in you then where you have to box up and haul around all of your books. After a few of those years ago, I started giving away books just so I wouldn't have to move them again.

jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
If you have the money and physical space to spare for the books, and nobody else in your household is going to be upset, go for the bookcase and hardcover collection.

I do wonder if people like you are the main purchasers of the leather-bound hardcover books sold at Barnes & Noble for low prices. For people not familiar with them, B&N sells a number of PD hardcovers with fancy exteriors for about US$10-15. The interiors aren't anything special and they might not be printed on acid-free paper (meaning, I'm not sure on this) but they are inexpensive.

Last edited by LovesMacs; 06-19-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Not sure if B&N leatherbound editions are on acid-free paper or not
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #39
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I love to see heavily laden bookshelves in peoples homes. A quick glance at the books tells me a lot about what makes up that person. Unfortunately if I saw a library consisting mainly of hardback classics then my first thought would be that the owner had simply purchased a library in the same way you and I might buy groceries. Obviously this would still tell me a lot about the owner but it might not be the impression they were hoping for. If I was feeling playful then I might start picking titles and asking for the owner's opinion.

The available voting options are very restricted. I do think it's wonderful having a great collection of good books but I think collecting only hardbacks (and particularly hardback classics) smacks of trying too hard to impress. YMMV.

I couldn't vote.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #40
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I
That's kinda what my bed looks like.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #41
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I love bookcases and I have yet to read all that are in mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	book01.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	107191   Click image for larger version

Name:	book02.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	107192  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #42
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
If you end up going with "yes" and have room for them, then I suggest you have a look at Encyclopædia Britannica's "Great Books of the Western World". 54 volumes, all of which containing works which contributed to shaping our way way of thinking about the world and ourselves. No longer in print, full second hand sets can be had for cheap from Amazon.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #43
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Such a bookcase is not for show only, as I intend to fully read or going to read every book that ends up in there. It'll not contain any books just because they're classics or because they're admired, such as the Brittanica. It's certainly not to impress anyone, as a previous poster mentioned. I couldn't care less about that.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #44
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Good for you. I love my my pbooks. This is my main bookshelf in the lounge, it might not be epic but there are a few classics in there and there's even an encyclopaedia Britannica collection behind the settee. I only recently changed to a new shelving system, just some Billy bookcases from Ikea, but the end result made me happy.

Good luck with yours!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my_bookshelf.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	107210  

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 06-22-2013 at 06:28 AM.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #45
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I divide my book buying into two tracks: hardcovers that I want to keep in my library and not only read at least once, but refer to again sometime in the future, and ebooks, which are read once and then forget about forever books.

When I add a hardcover to my library bookshelves, it is always there to remind me to read it or reread/consult it. When I "archive" an ebook, I do not see it again; it simply disappears into the nether with the hundreds, if not thousands, of other ebooks I have acquired. There is nothing to remind me of its existence, and the reality is that I am not going to scroll through thousands of ebooks to see if something jogs my memory. Hardcovers on my shelf are scannable and the covers draw me to them.

Although I love ebooks, I would never give up my hardcovers and go the ebook-only route.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote