Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #796
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Ah, multitasking DOS, incompatible with many existing DOS programs. Has *anybody* ever used that?

On ADE3: I think Adobe introduces ADE4 and EPUB3 officially so fast to try and divert people from the 'new DRM' issue.
I knew there had to be somebody around with functioning long-term memory!

(And who would recognize the parallels.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 PM   #797
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Heh. I only started using computers in 1990, in my very early teens, but my first machine was an XT, old even then. I started with DOS 3.3, and skipped the multitasking version 4.0 when I discovered that half of my programs and games didn't work. The illegal 5.0 I got from a friend was incomplete. In 1992, I jumped straight to DOS 6.22 from 3.3, before finally receiving a mid-end 80486 in 1994 for Christmas, running OS/2 3.0 (with Windows 3.1 inside it, called Win-OS/2).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #798
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Heh. I only started using computers in 1990, in my very early teens, but my first machine was an XT, old even then. I started with DOS 3.3, and skipped the multitasking version 4.0 when I discovered that half of my programs and games didn't work. The illegal 5.0 I got from a friend was incomplete. In 1992, I jumped straight to DOS 6.22 from 3.3, before finally receiving a mid-end 80486 in 1994 for Christmas, running OS/2 3.0 (with Windows 3.1 inside it, called Win-OS/2).
Golly gee all that sounds familiar!!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #799
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
In 1992, I jumped straight to DOS 6.22 from 3.3, before finally receiving a mid-end 80486 in 1994 for Christmas, running OS/2 3.0 (with Windows 3.1 inside it, called Win-OS/2).
What a Warped history you've had...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:13 AM   #800
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just a View from the Top
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:08 AM   #801
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
What a Warped history you've had...
I can proudly say that I have been using full 32-bit operating systems since 1994, where most other people only started doing so in 2001. I jumped to NT4 on that 80486 in 1996, and on my next computer I used NT4 first, and later Windows 2000. I completely skipped 95, 98 and ME (and 3.1 most of the time, as I ran OS/2), so my Windows experience has been much better then that of most other people.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:23 AM   #802
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I can proudly say that I have been using full 32-bit operating systems since 1994, where most other people only started doing so in 2001. I jumped to NT4 on that 80486 in 1996, and on my next computer I used NT4 first, and later Windows 2000. I completely skipped 95, 98 and ME (and 3.1 most of the time, as I ran OS/2), so my Windows experience has been much better then that of most other people.
Indeed.
You also missed all the drama around scalable fonts and the (highly educational) story of the birth of TrueType. An object lesson in strategic overeach in the tech world. (Almost as educational as the birth of Encarta.)

Doesn't sound like Adobe learned the lesson, though.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #803
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
I started on a 32 bit OS earlier than that with my Amiga Then went 95, 98se, win2k, then have tried to ditch Windows since then...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #804
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
My first computer was a TRS-80 model 1, bought second hand for $600 in 1976. I thought I was buying a really expensive calculator and didn't even know you had to know how to type. I loved it immediately though and myself and family and friends spent countless hours typing in buggy programs from magazines. Must have spent close to $3,000 1970 dollars on peripherals, software etc. Then the guys I knew who worked at Xerox talked me into building an Apple clone, because they said any idiot could solder, me being the idiot of the bunch I guess, but mine was the last one finished and the first one that actually worked

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #805
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
My first computer was a TRS-80 model 1, bought second hand for $600 in 1976. I thought I was buying a really expensive calculator and didn't even know you had to know how to type. I loved it immediately though and myself and family and friends spent countless hours typing in buggy programs from magazines. Must have spent close to $3,000 1970 dollars on peripherals, software etc. Then the guys I knew who worked at Xerox talked me into building an Apple clone, because they said any idiot could solder, me being the idiot of the bunch I guess, but mine was the last one finished and the first one that actually worked

Helen
I have my own hot solder stories from that period (Atari 400, Cherry keyboard) that didn't go quite that smooth. The thing worked, fortunately. And the foot healed nicely...
Old 07-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #806
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I have my own hot solder stories from that period (Atari 400, Cherry keyboard) that didn't go quite that smooth. The thing worked, fortunately. And the foot healed nicely...
For me it was a MITS Altair 8800 kit and my thigh. Never soldered in shorts again...
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #807
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I touched the solder iron to see if it was hot. It was. Burn me once... burn me twice... or maybe since I was trying to hold it like a pen, it was more like thrice.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #808
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
At work one day I was soldering with a huge 300 watt beast of an iron. As I became more focused on my work, out of the corner of my eye, the metallic part looked just like the handle of a normal size soldering iron. I'll never make that mistake again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #809
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
ADE 4 is on the way. Private beta now:

http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/0...-4/#more-69741
And this is out now.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #810
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Unfortunately I get a 404 error when I click on the link ....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote