Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
ladywiththepants
ladywiththepants began at the beginning.

Device: none
Mobi conversion

While exporting my ID book file for conversion to mobi format, I am getting this message "The table of contents is empty and so it was not added to the converted file. Please check the TOC style that you have used and try again.

I am able to convert this same ID book for ePub without any problems - the TOC is automatically generated without problem. Also validates without problems. I am using ID 5.5, and have downloaded the kindle previewed and plugins.

Can anyone help???
ladywiththepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
phyllisj9
phyllisj9 began at the beginning.

I had that problem. It was because my Table of Contents style was referencing a paragraph style that was inside a style group. Once I moved it outside the style group, it worked.

Dunno if it's the same issue or not...
phyllisj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
cdsf
cdsf began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
InDesign style groups kill my MOBI TOCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllisj9 View Post
I had that problem. It was because my Table of Contents style was referencing a paragraph style that was inside a style group. Once I moved it outside the style group, it worked.
Thank you: you just helped my solve a bewildering problem. InDesign's nested styles had been preventing my Kindle plugin from recognizing my TOC ¶ styles and using them to create TOCs for MOBIs.

All my EPUBs for one book had TOCs that worked perfectly after export. But when I tried to export MOBIs, I kept getting the message, "The table of contents wasn't created because it's empty…." And I was using the up-to-date late-August 2011 .094 plugin from Amazon's KDP.

In InDesign, I'd tucked my chapter heading and A-head styles under a Headings style group. Dragging the two styles out of the group worked like a charm. InDesign now exports the MOBI with no error message, and the TOC works perfectly in my Mac's Kindle app!
cdsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
loudvoice
loudvoice began at the beginning.

ToC Empty Warning Message

Just wanted to also say thank you for the answer to this problem that had me baffled for over a week. I'm new to this so thought I was doing something wrong - I am pleased that it was just as simple as moving the styles out of their nested headers.
Thanks
loudvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #5
bcarrancho
bcarrancho began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you

Hi there. Thank you for this. However, i'm pretty new to this whole thing and was just wondering if someone could let me exactly how to do the above mentioned.
I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
bcarrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Wna
Wna began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Please explain

Hi, I am also new to this and didn't really understand what to do to make the TOC work. Can someone please explain with a little more detail?
Wna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Wna
Wna began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Ok figured it out. If anyone else ever has this problem, just take your paragraph styles out of the folders (style groups).
Wna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, mobi