Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Suggestion/Request - Remove source after conversion

I would find it very useful to have the source file automatically removed after a successful conversion in Calibre.

As I keep my original sources (html files, etc) in a separate folder outside Calibre, I am able to restore if necessary - never needed to yet...

Currently, you have to manually remove unwanted source html files (zip), PDF's and orig.epub's, etc after successfully converting. It would be nice if there was an option to do this automatically.

This is particularly useful if the Calibre libraries are in a DropBox folder and you want to avoid excessive data transfer or even busting the limit.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That strikes me as dangerous. The fact that a conversion has "technically" worked doesn't mean that it's worked correctly. I primarily do ePub to Mobi conversions, and find that I often need to re-do them with various options set (eg "Ignore Margins" is a common one). You don't know, until you've done a trial conversion, which (if any) of the conversion options are needed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Many people want to keep the source files forever.

As Harry said many conversions aren't successful and often you don't notice the problems until attempting to read the book. And/or you want to change options, and/or calibre improves its outputs.

Of course you can always get you original from your seperate folder but this is a pain if you wanted to reconvert 1000 books.

For the dropbox issue or backing up you can easily bulk remove unwanted formats.

select the format you most commonly convert to and right click and select remove all formats but option.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That strikes me as dangerous. The fact that a conversion has "technically" worked doesn't mean that it's worked correctly. I primarily do ePub to Mobi conversions, and find that I often need to re-do them with various options set (eg "Ignore Margins" is a common one). You don't know, until you've done a trial conversion, which (if any) of the conversion options are needed.
+1 daft suggestion
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
+1 daft suggestion

Calibre remembers how (settings) you convert. deleting the original loses those settings
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Wyndham
Connoisseur
Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Wyndham has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad Air 2 (iOS 9), iPhone 6 (iOS 9)
Thanks for all the comments.

I can see the sense in avoiding the potential risk, even if I have been lucky so far.

The conversation again proves how great these forums can be. Thanks again.
Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
chrisakavern
Keep on Nook'in
chrisakavern doesn't litterchrisakavern doesn't litter

Device: NOOK (Original) & NOOK Color (N2A)
@Wyndham, I disagree, you gave up the discussion to easily, this should be an option. I do not see the need to keep unwanted files in your library why not save a step and delete them as part of the conversion. If the conversion does not work, you simply re-import the original file and try again. It has been my experience that the conversions work 99% of the time, why there is so much opposition to this option request is beyond me. I think the big point that the developers are missing is that we are simply asking this to be added as an "Option" not as something that automatically happens. If you don't like it then don't use it.
chrisakavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisakavern View Post
@Wyndham, I disagree, you gave up the discussion to easily, this should be an option. I do not see the need to keep unwanted files in your library why not save a step and delete them as part of the conversion. If the conversion does not work, you simply re-import the original file and try again. It has been my experience that the conversions work 99% of the time, why there is so much opposition to this option request is beyond me. I think the big point that the developers are missing is that we are simply asking this to be added as an "Option" not as something that automatically happens. If you don't like it then don't use it.
The reason not to have it is that it would inevitably cause extra support work for Kovid. You say that you could simply re-import the book if the conversion didn't work satisfactorily, but that assumes that you still have it to hand. Suppose you've bought a new device, and you're doing the conversion two years after you originally got the book. What are the chances of you still having the original book?

I must respectfully disagree with you: I see no reason to offer such a dangerous option, when manually deleting a source format is so very easy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisakavern View Post
We have had users shoot themselves in the foot (on deletion/overwrite), even with warnings which they Ignored or disabled, Then Flame Kovid (and crew) for permitting it to happen.
Deleted books, now even go to 'trash', leavein one mor chance to recover
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote