Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #1
Danny94
Danny94 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
How to decrease the lowest brightness level ?

Please guys can you help me, how i can mod my e reader to get lower brightness ? Reading at level 1 is way to bright for me in the night, i cant fall asleep reading before bed.

What i tried:
I checked the Kobo eReader.conf and tried decimal places for:
FrontLightLevel=1 (but according wiki only integer are allowed)

I checked the KoboReader.sqlite file, nothing is related to brightness.

I couldnt open BookReader.sqlite (does not seem to be a database).

I have checked all release notes of older versions, brightness was never mentioned. So i might wont have luck trying to do a downgrade to an older version ?

I could try open the ereader and glue something over the leds to decrease strength...

Can anyone help me out before i demolish my fine old reader ? =)
Danny94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:39 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If level 1 is too bright, your only option is to turn on another light in the room, or maybe wear sunglasses while you read in the dark?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2022, 04:15 PM   #3
Danny94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If level 1 is too bright, your only option is to turn on another light in the room, or maybe wear sunglasses while you read in the dark?
Thats unluckily no option for me, im reading until falling asleep (reading helps me with falling asleep issues). So as result i wake up with damaged sunglasses or kick in the *** because of higher electricity cost .

My old kobo glo was 5 times less bright in comparison, since i bought the clara hd 1-2 years ago i have not read alot anymore because of this bright light. The reason i bought it was because of blue light filter feature to help me further xD what a tragedy.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:18 PM   #4
Parsley
Enthusiast
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

I have the same problem. My solution is to use Dark Mode or Invert (depending on how much the light is bothering me vs my tolerance for a reboot). They're both pretty easy to enable using NickelMenu.
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 05:14 AM   #5
Danny94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
I have the same problem. My solution is to use Dark Mode or Invert (depending on how much the light is bothering me vs my tolerance for a reboot). They're both pretty easy to enable using NickelMenu.
Sir, thank you so much.
Actually dark mode is not a perfect solution and will take some getting used to, but its a 100% improvment. Thank you.

I think i wont open it and mess around with hardware lights anymore.
Advert
Old 12-16-2022, 05:39 AM   #6
Danny94

I have checked a screen replacement video and it looks like the lights are inbuilt into the screen, no place putting something between. So there wouldnt even exist a hardware level solution.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:39 PM   #7
Parsley
Enthusiast
Parsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notesParsley can name that song in three notes

Glad it helped!

If it ends up not being enough, I'd try to cover the entire screen + LEDs, rather than risk breaking the ereader. Something like a layer of orange cellophane might be sufficient to filter the light while still thin enough to allow the touchscreen to work. Still, Dark Mode is definitely easier!
Parsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 05:22 PM   #8
Danny94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
Glad it helped!

If it ends up not being enough, I'd try to cover the entire screen + LEDs, rather than risk breaking the ereader. Something like a layer of orange cellophane might be sufficient to filter the light while still thin enough to allow the touchscreen to work. Still, Dark Mode is definitely easier!
Yeah dark mode is definitly a lot better!
Still to bright for me personally but atleast not slapping into my face like a flashlight.

Oh using cellophan sounds like a good idea, if touchscreen is working through it. I definitly have to try that, maybe black cellophan. Just will be hard to fix it probably, maybe i will try disassemble and fix it between frame and screen.
Old 12-19-2022, 12:54 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another option is to get another Kobo that has the comfort light (amber light),
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:48 PM   #10
Danny94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another option is to get another Kobo that has the comfort light (amber light),
My clara HD do have some kind of night mode (blue light filtering). From quick google search it seem to be the same?

Tough night mode i have more issues to fall asleep with this reader in comparison to my old one witouth night mode and 3-5 times lower brightness.
Old 12-19-2022, 01:51 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny94 View Post
My clara HD do have some kind of night mode (blue light filtering). From quick google search it seem to be the same?

Tough night mode i have more issues to fall asleep with this reader in comparison to my old one witouth night mode and 3-5 times lower brightness.
Yes, the Clara HD does have Comfortlight Pro. Have you tried using it while the main light setting is at 1? It's possible it might make the light darker enough for you.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:13 PM   #12
Danny94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, the Clara HD does have Comfortlight Pro. Have you tried using it while the main light setting is at 1? It's possible it might make the light darker enough for you.
Yes unluckily setting 1 is way way way to bright (comfortlight is always at maximum). If i could choose i would prefer 5+ times lower.

I have a similar issue with my current phone which is very bright at lowest level, but the reader is still 3 times brighter. Atleast i can use it as flashlight to the toilette xD.
Old 12-19-2022, 02:40 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny94 View Post
Yes unluckily setting 1 is way way way to bright (comfortlight is always at maximum). If i could choose i would prefer 5+ times lower.

I have a similar issue with my current phone which is very bright at lowest level, but the reader is still 3 times brighter. Atleast i can use it as flashlight to the toilette xD.
There's nothing else you can do since you've done everything.

Tags
brightness