Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
yegor.rav
yegor.rav began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Win 10 auto brightness dimmer

Hello guys,
I am using Calibre for Win 10. In my power settings I've set so the screen goes off after 5 minuets of being not in use, so while I read, it dims the screen about 30 seconds before shut off, and I have to move the mouse to set it off.
Is there a way to preserve those power settings, and keeping the brightness constant while reading?
Thank you.
yegor.rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
your problem is with how windows defines "not in use".
you want the screen to turn off after 5 minutes of anything except for reading in the viewer ?
your best bet may be to outwit it, find something it counts as " in use" like leaving a dialogue box open some where else on the screen.
but surely, if you create a desktop shortcut to control panel, then its only a couple of clicks to switch power plans between your usual one, and a copy that has screen off= never. toggle it as needed

someone a bit more skilled could probably shrink that to one click by having the relevant CMD commands saved as shortcuts. see here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...d-line-options
so something like this sets the 5 minute value
powercfg /change monitor-timeout-ac 5
add a zero for a 50 minute option
powercfg /change monitor-timeout-ac 50
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by yegor.rav View Post
Hello guys,
I am using Calibre for Win 10. In my power settings I've set so the screen goes off after 5 minuets of being not in use, so while I read, it dims the screen about 30 seconds before shut off, and I have to move the mouse to set it off.
Is there a way to preserve those power settings, and keeping the brightness constant while reading?
Thank you.
You must read slow
How is the page getting scrolled (turned)? That action should keep the power on if done by the user (keyboard or mouse).
(spacebar also advances the page in the viewer)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
yegor.rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You must read slow
How is the page getting scrolled (turned)? That action should keep the power on if done by the user (keyboard or mouse).
(spacebar also advances the page in the viewer)
I scroll with the keyboard arrows.
Look at the size and density of that text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	125
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	178380  
Old 04-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
yegor.rav

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
your problem is with how windows defines "not in use".
you want the screen to turn off after 5 minutes of anything except for reading in the viewer ?
your best bet may be to outwit it, find something it counts as " in use" like leaving a dialogue box open some where else on the screen.
but surely, if you create a desktop shortcut to control panel, then its only a couple of clicks to switch power plans between your usual one, and a copy that has screen off= never. toggle it as needed

someone a bit more skilled could probably shrink that to one click by having the relevant CMD commands saved as shortcuts. see here
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...d-line-options
so something like this sets the 5 minute value
powercfg /change monitor-timeout-ac 5
add a zero for a 50 minute option
powercfg /change monitor-timeout-ac 50
This is a great idea! I have created 2 batch files for this. Now... Is there a way to make these run automatically when i launch/close Calibre?
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
This is a great idea! I have created 2 batch files for this. Now... Is there a way to make these run automatically when i launch/close Calibre?
yes
IF you launch calibre using a command line from within the batch file
AND you close calibre with a suitable command line within the other batch file
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Not with 70+ YO eyes
try the Spacebar for 1 page flips
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
My EYES!

Also too wide. Windows do not have to fit the screen, especially aspects purely chosen for video.

Why do people want white text on black, rather than black text on white? Is it to do with having the screen brightness, contrast and lighting at 100% For some reason almost every PC/laptop I've sorted in 30 years has all the settings all to the max. Common with TVs too. Is it to suit super bright showrooms?

Last edited by Quoth; 04-14-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #9
yegor.rav

[QUOTE=Quoth;3976233]My EYES!

Also too wide. Windows do not have to fit the screen, especially aspects purely chosen for video.

Why do people want white text on black, rather than black text on white? Is it to do with having the screen brightness, contrast and lighting at 100% For some reason almost every PC/laptop I've sorted in 30 years has all the settings all to the max. Common with TVs too. Is it to suit super bright showrooms?[/QU

Black on white is too bright for me. I am reading long hours and it becomes tedious with a white background. My brightness is on the readable minimum, adjusted with daylight.

Tags
brightness, calibre, power, windows 10