Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
91 year old borrows 25,000th book!!

Prolific page turner, 91, borrows 25,000th library book (with no overdue fines) read the full story here

Even with my Sony I'll never catch up!

Link was working looks like referrals are being blocked - cut and paste this in your browser to read it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202913

Last edited by columbus; 07-29-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: revised link
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, that's really impressive. even if i quit my job, i don't think i could catch up ! o_O then again, i haven't kept track of how many books i *already* read... now i read about 50 books per year, but when i was younger i could read that many just in the summer. and when i was at university god knows how many i read ! maybe more than 50 per term...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Mnementh
Groupie
Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mnementh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Prolific page turner, 91, borrows 25,000th library book (with no overdue fines) read the full story here

Even with my Sony I'll never catch up!
That links not working for me but I saw the story on the BBC website earlier today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...nd/8172355.stm
Mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Wow, something to aspire to!!
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I did some math of my own. I average 35 books from libraries a year.
It would take me 714 years to reach 25,000 books (borrowed from libraries). LOL!
Advert
Old 07-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
You're aware, aren't you, that this guy 91 year-old girl has just been scanning the books and posting them in torrents for, lo, these many years and doesn't actually read them. Arrrr!

Last edited by vivaldirules; 07-29-2009 at 05:50 PM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
genegenie
genegenie has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: sony
The article says she is reading up to 12 books a week that would take her 40 years to reach 25,000, she is 91 so I suppose it is possible. Presumably the library can document her withdrawals?
genegenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
busy91
Connoisseur

I thought I read she got her first card in 1946...that is 63 years. But at first she was taking around 6 books a week, and worked up to 12.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by busy91 View Post
I thought I read she got her first card in 1946...that is 63 years. But at first she was taking around 6 books a week, and worked up to 12.
that would only be 8 books a week on avg.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM   #10
busy91
Connoisseur

Amazing, I'm doing cartwheels if I can get thru 8 books a month!