Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I thank all of you for the idea.

And THEN: try to define a true "bug fix"!! Is going to 12 font size choices a bug fix or an "improvement"?

ALL of us opn here have one thing in common: we love our Astak device (with the possible exception of a few nice Sony people). Other than that, we are very diverse in how we see things and in our definitions. It is a worthy idea; but could it possibly work?
Anything over the Original 3 fonts sizes Was an "Improvement" because the data sheet said "3 sizes"
If Astak changes the data sheet after a shipment to now say, "12 sizes", that only applies to orders placed after the data sheet change.
A mid-run change does not automatically entitle users to the later version.

Look at Windows 95 . There was 3 versions: 95,(aka 95A),95B and 95C.. No free upgrade (even if some of it fixed broken stuff that should have worked).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosreader View Post
I think another thing to consider is how a company positions itself in the marketplace. When I was shopping for an E-reader last year, I seriously considered the K****e and the N**k. What won me over to Astak was the customer support (heads above the competition). This is what sold me and this is what I tell people who ask my advice on their purchase. I say "go with your strength". If that means supporting legacy products longer than Amazon or B & N would, then it is a very wise investment. The longer my Pocket Pro is supported and improved, the more likely I am to recommend Astak to others (and more likely I will buy from Astak when the time comes for me to upgrade).

Just my 2¢.

You can't compete against Amazon or Sony for name recognition, but you can sweep up a bunch of disgruntled former Amazon and Sony customers.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #18
Freddy Bastiat
Freddy Bastiat is on a distinguished road

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
I think another thing to consider is how a company positions itself in the marketplace. When I was shopping for an E-reader last year, I seriously considered the K****e and the N**k. What won me over to Astak was the customer support (heads above the competition). This is what sold me and this is what I tell people who ask my advice on their purchase. I say "go with your strength". If that means supporting legacy products longer than Amazon or B & N would, then it is a very wise investment. The longer my Pocket Pro is supported and improved, the more likely I am to recommend Astak to others (and more likely I will buy from Astak when the time comes for me to upgrade).

Just my 2¢.
BINGO. This is why I'm going to buy one on Saturday...from Astak. I've done my research and the support was one of my deciding factors.
Freddy Bastiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
2 cents is valuable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptosreader View Post

Just my 2¢.
Dear AptosReader:

Thank you. I agree that we do need to go with our strength and I hope being more personable and accessible will help!

I have long since been convinced that saying "we sell eBook Readers" is not going to do it. The obvious reply is: "SO does everybody else".

So, we are now going to PUSH our strength. As such, we have added to the FAQ sheet a link to this Dedicated Forum. BUT... that is a puny step. TOO many of our products are sold by retailers like New Egg and Car Toys and now Best Buy of Canada. These people do NOT know that there is a FAQ sheet and have no remote idea that there is a forum. SO... in every box from now on we will include a card that promotes this dedicated forum and our FAQ sheet.

Likewise, when ever I send a unit out to a reviewer I now mention in several sentences how committed we are to customer service and accessability and how we have this forum. ONE reviewer praised it and even tested it by getting on the forum. Other reviewers never mentioned it. It seems reviewers are NOT impressed at all by accessability and rapport with the public and proactive "support". I find this weird... and I keep fighting.

You ARE right. IF people know about this they will find it a reason to buy! Astak has to do a better job of letting people know that we have this!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Reviews are weird things. The reviewer will spend a few hours, maybe, using something. Then he'll write pages on his experiences, pretending he is an expert.

Read enough of them, and you'll see the formula. Nearly all Linux reviews are about installing the distribution being reviewed, something that Linux users actually rarely do. Then they'll do 2 paragraphs on the applications included and the theme, and wrap it up.

Customer service, documentation, what it feels like when you forget it behind you at home after using it for a week...these things don't make it in to reviews.

And, this is why most reviews on nearly anything suck, professional or amateur.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #21
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Disgruntled Amazon or Sony customers welcome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post

You can't compete against Amazon or Sony for name recognition, but you can sweep up a bunch of disgruntled former Amazon and Sony customers.
Dear Polly:

You are right. I think we can present ourselves best as the company with open doors and online presence.

Our problem has been, as an example, the misconception bythe public. The public can be a hard nut to crack. Sony sells, for example, a PRS-300 for under $200. Astak sells the Pocket PRO for under $200. The public sees ONLY 5 inch eBook Reader, has heard of Sony, notes the price, and buys Sony. Now, you and I and everybody on this forum knows the Pocket PRO is jam packed with features that the Sony left off. These are not little things either! Essential and critical things like an SD card slot and TTS and a replaceable battery... all missing on that Sony.

But... to the public in a retail store... they look no further than the price and the name.

We do want to add a burst sticker or something saying: "JOIN our online forum and chat with Astak"! That may make a difference they can understand!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #22
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
Robert... THAT would make a difference.

The average viewer, you have 2-5 seconds to stand out. And Sony has NAME to do that for them... right now, Astak does not.

But people know Sony has no real support... so, that's +1 Vote for Sticker, from someone who used to write Magazine Advertorials (grin.)
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote