Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #106
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Volume adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I would like to see (not a must but would be nice) with the Pocket Pro is under the TTS function be able to (a) adjust the volume without the need for using the supplied headphones with the volume adjuster, like under the MP3 player - allow me essentially to use any pair I own, and (b) with TTS be able to pause/continue the reading. Currently the only real way to pause is to stop the TTS and then play it again (where is starts from the begining of the current page).

As I said, nice to haves, not need to haves.
Dear Solicitous:

I have not had a chance yet to check it out but the factory promised me they were putting the volume adjuster into the scroll wheel. The plan was to push IN on the nub and it would change the scroll wheel into the volume adjusting mode.

My Head Tech is at the Doctors but I will check up on this!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #107
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I know you can hold the PAge Forward button to jump 10 pages.

You 'might' be able to go from page 1, hit "Prev Page" button and go the the last page, but I don't have my PEZ to check.
What button gets your PEZ to give you the candy?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglim View Post
Hi all.

I would really like to see ext3 filesystem support in the next firmware release. Since the device already runs Linux, this should not be too hard. If the v5 devkit was somewhere I could find it, I could probably do it myself.

Why ext3 instead of FAT32 ?
FAT32 wastes huge amounts of space on larger SD cards. If you think about wasting as much as 1G of space on an 8G card(if many of your ebooks are plaintext), you really begin to think you might want ext3.

-Greg

update: I actually did try an ext2/3 formatted SD card in there. No good. The EZ Reader saw that there was an SD card inserted, but could not see files on it.
The reason for FAT32 is that it is compatible with Windows. ext2/3 is not. So Windows users won't be able to use ext2/3 and that's most of the customers.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #109
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason for FAT32 is that it is compatible with Windows. ext2/3 is not. So Windows users won't be able to use ext2/3 and that's most of the customers.
What greglim is asking for is support for both FAT32 and ext3 SD cards. Thus probably isn't hard to implement at the mount point, but an ext3 SD card might not be exportable via USB.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #110
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
What greglim is asking for is support for both FAT32 and ext3 SD cards. Thus probably isn't hard to implement at the mount point, but an ext3 SD card might not be exportable via USB.
Why not go with NTFS instead of FAT32? That would solve a lot of the problems and be compatible with current issue Windows.
Advert
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #111
wpeace
Seer
wpeace began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WP7 Pocket PC/SmartQ7/Pocket Pro/A5A iPad Streak 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Yeah, re-announce them when they are working.
Noooooo!! I've got more than 90 books in .lit format and its a pita to convert all of them. One of the reasons I bought the PEZ was for the .lit support. I've really had no problem with it at this point.
wpeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #112
greglim
greglim began at the beginning.

Device: boyue t80s, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Yes. I know that.

Here's the deal though. The EZReader actually runs Linux. So do I. I'd bet there are others that use it for a desktop, too. I would not suggest this unless it had zero impact on those already using the device.

Linux will transparently handle both FAT32 and ext3. There is no reason both cannot be enabled. The code to make it work is already in there. Trust me on this. I build a Linux distro for Sparc CPU's as a hobby.

Quite literally, they need only change a 'N' in a certain config file to a 'Y' and rebuild their firmware and it should work.

And yes, ext3 works just fine over USB. Most of my portable USB media is ext3, with just one or two as fat32 and ntfs.

Some other fun stuff:
ext3 supports symlinks and hardlinks... Meaning that you can store your book on the filesystem just once, and have it appear in multiple places.

So you can have something like this, but "book1" and "book2" only actually take up the space on your SD card *once*. With appropriate tools, this is not hard to accomplish.

. .
. |-- author
. | |-- date1
. | | `-- book1
. | `-- date2
. | `-- book2
. `-- genre
. `-- author
. |-- book1
. `-- book2

(Sorry about the spacing here - I can't get it to line up right, but it was meant to illustrate sorting two ways: 1) by author->date->book and 2) by genre->author->book)

Hope that helps!
-Greg
greglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #113
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglim View Post
Yes. I know that.

Here's the deal though. The EZReader actually runs Linux. So do I. I'd bet there are others that use it for a desktop, too. I would not suggest this unless it had zero impact on those already using the device.
Yes, but not enough to make it worthwhile....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #114
jwsheets
Connoisseur
jwsheets began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Why not go with NTFS instead of FAT32? That would solve a lot of the problems and be compatible with current issue Windows.
Can we use NTFS or FAT32 on SD cards and on the reader?
jwsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #115
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
More than likely the reader will not be able to read the SD card.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #116
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsheets View Post
Can we use NTFS or FAT32 on SD cards and on the reader?
FAT32 will work. this is the SDHC standard.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #117
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Solicitous:

I have not had a chance yet to check it out but the factory promised me they were putting the volume adjuster into the scroll wheel. The plan was to push IN on the nub and it would change the scroll wheel into the volume adjusting mode.

My Head Tech is at the Doctors but I will check up on this!!
Oh that sounds good Robert, please keep us posted.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #118
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I don't think these are already posted, I apologize if they are dups. Pocket Pro only as I've not used the EZ Reader:

1 - Show the page/pages at the bottom of the screen for all formats. My Sony shows like this for epub and I like to know where I am in a book.
2 - A way to rotate back to portrait mode when a book automatically goes into landscape mode at font increase. I think it's really awkward to read in that position and I'd rather just deal with fewer words on the screen. If there is currently a way to do this please advise.

3 - This is more a question - I like a little more white space at the right and left margins. Is that set with the ebook or reader? I've never paid attention to setting it when converting books with Calibre for use on my Sony and it's always been fine but on the Pocket Pro the words are a little too close to the edge. I know it's a smaller screen but it's just not visually pleasing to me.

I also agree with more font sizes for all formats and increase the size of the font for the menu.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #119
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfanmd View Post
2 - A way to rotate back to portrait mode when a book automatically goes into landscape mode at font increase. I think it's really awkward to read in that position and I'd rather just deal with fewer words on the screen. If there is currently a way to do this please advise.
I believe that you should be able to just press the ZOOM button again (and again, and again...). Generally, the ZOOMing is 'circular'. Once you reach maximum ZOOM, the next goes back to the smallest ZOOM. You can also press the MENU/OK button and select ZOOM from the menu, and go to a specific ZOOM setting.

Quote:
3 - This is more a question - I like a little more white space at the right and left margins. Is that set with the ebook or reader? I've never paid attention to setting it when converting books with Calibre for use on my Sony and it's always been fine but on the Pocket Pro the words are a little too close to the edge. I know it's a smaller screen but it's just not visually pleasing to me.
In ePubs, that's set in the ePub file, not in the reader. You'd have to change the settings in Calibre, or hand-edit them into the CSS file in the ePub yourself (either REALLY manually, or using Sigil).
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #120
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Thanks. I'll check the settings in Calibre. I know I can zoom back to a smaller font, I was just hoping there was a way to keep the large font in portrait orientation.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote