Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you buy ebook versions of books you already own?
Yes 41 23.03%
No 41 23.03%
Depends on the book 96 53.93%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Do you buy ebook versions of books you already own?

Do you buy ebook versions of books you already own?

I was clicking through Fictionwise the other night and was really tempted to buy a couple of books...but, they are books I already own in paperback version and I couldn't quite bring myself to buy them again. Curious what everyone else does.

Do you buy a book you currently own?
Do you not?
If you do, what makes the decision to buy the ebook copy or not?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i am trying to replace the majority of my paper books with ebooks, but i started with all the old classics in the pd (so, free). i don't want to get rid of a paper book before i have an ebook of it, in case i want to read it again.

for the rest of them, some of them i love so much i might be willing to pay for them twice, but it depends on the book. perhaps i might for a book i know i'll re-read a lot, and my paper copy is old and in bad condition, but only if the ebook is not too expensive. i don't want to pay full paper price for an ebook of a book i already paid full price for in paper. that seems crazy to me.

my biggest problem is that MOST of my books are not available as ebooks, so i suppose i have to answer "no" at least for the moment. and there are some books i want to keep my paper editions because they are nice books and i like having them, and being able to lend them, as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
So far, there has not been a book that I wanted to re-read so I do not purchase a book that I already own. Now, the ones that i can get for free I will download them but no, I will not purchase an eBook for a pBook that I already own...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
So far, there has not been a book that I wanted to re-read so I do not purchase a book that I already own. Now, the ones that i can get for free I will download them but no, I will not purchase an eBook for a pBook that I already own...
Same here. I just don't need to.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I bought the ebook of John Adams specifically so I could reference it easily. Ditto the Lord of the Rings books.

I certainly don't plan to buy ebooks for every book I own; however, one of the reasons I switched to ebooks is because I don't have room for pbooks anymore, so over time I'll replace most of my pbooks with ebooks.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
I have some pbooks that haven't been read yet - those I'm replacing with electronic versions, so I can get rid of the physical copy. I would also happily purchase the Harry Potter books in ebook form (if they were legally available), but might still keep the p-copies.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I collect books but I'm careful about what I collect. For example, The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit were obvious buys but most of my paper books aren't worth collecting so I only get an ebook edition of one I already have in paper when I know I'll want to re-read it and when there is nothing new I want to get from the current month's book budget. Of course, this doesn't happen very often.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Right now there are two particular authors that I would buy the ebooks if they were available, even though I previously purchased pbooks (or hardbacks). Those are Sharyn McCrumb and Charlotte MacLeod/Alisa Craig. Some of Sharyn McCrumb's titles are out of print, and I think all of the Charlotte MacLeod/Alisa Craig ones are. I've found very few of Sharyn's books in the ebookstores, and they're the new Nascar series that is not a priority for me. I'm looking for her older stuff, the Elizabeth MacPherson series, and the Ballad books. Charlotte MacLeod is not available (in ebook format) anywhere.
I can only assume that since Charlotte passed away, and the books are out of print, that the publishers are in no hurry whatsoever to get those books available. This is why I was placing such high hopes on the Google settlement, thinking that with that, sooner rather than later I might be able to purchase these, instead of getting them and scanning them myself (which with my setup involves about 24 hours of labor per book - 12 for scanning and that again for proofreading). However, now that the Justice Dept. is involved, and Obama has vowed to crack down on anti-trust scenarios, I'm losing hope quickly.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a rant..will hush now.

Last edited by phenomshel; 05-12-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: to clarify a point
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
I often re-read books and since I now almost exclusively read ebooks I do buy the ebook version when available. The caveat being that I won't pay more than pback prices for it.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
I often re-read books and since I now almost exclusively read ebooks I do buy the ebook version when available. The caveat being that I won't pay more than pback prices for it.
This is kind of why I was asking...I also re-read books frequently; I read a lot of fiction and many I will re-read.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I'm trying to declutter and get rid of my books. I've been purging titles that I don't want to re-read, but since I continue to buy books, it's not really helping my storage situation. Since switching to ebooks, my piles have stopped growing (although they still exist) and I am slowly trying to buy titles so that I can get rid of the books I have.

So many of them are not available electronically though, which means I'm not sure if I'll be able to get rid of my old books. At least I can stop building towers of new ones.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
It works both ways for me. I absolutely 100% prefer to read on my reader in almost every circumstance. That means that there's a small backlog of books that I really wanted to read over the last couple of years that I haven't started because I bought them but couldn't face paper.

Then they came out in ebook format finally. In a few cases, I've bought them again in ebook, because otherwise I don't know if I'll ever actually read them. And if I like them well enough, I can always find a new home for the paper copies.

I've also done the opposite a few times - bought a book in ebook format and then had to buy a second in hardcopy for the express purpose of loaning it out to people. It's really rare, but it happens.

And then finally, there's the tried and true favorites, books I loved. Those I try to slip in to my ebook collection whenever I can. And even on books I didn't love but enjoyed well enough that there's a good chance I'll reread it - If I can get a reasonably priced ebook copy, I'll grab it. Reasonably priced for those tends to be below the 5 dollar mark with discounts.

Ideally I'd love all my books in ebook format, but the combination of budget and availability makes that still years away!
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #13
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi!

Good question! - I've indeed downloaded many classic books for free which I already own as paper versions but want to have also as ebook and want to have always with me. And I think I'll also buy some of my favourite actual books also as ebooks as soon as they will be available, just to have them with me and to be able to re-read them or parts of them again whenever I feel to.

Concerning actual books so far I didn't download some I already have read as paperbooks, as the ones I loved much so far aren't available in Germany. But I indeed downloaded some I already own as paperbooks for a while and didn't read so far as I didn't take them with me when I travelled etc. Now, with my ebook-reader I read them and I enjoy it very much!

At the moment I don't like to read paperbooks anymore, but however I love to keep them. I think in future I will try to read any new books if possible (and available) as ebooks first and some of them which I like very much and like to own also as printed books I will later also buy to keep it in my bookshelfs. But one advantage of ebooks for me is indeed the fact that my bookshelfs in my apartment won't grow so fast anymore (already have the books in 2 and sometimes even in 3 lines in there! ;-) )

So it will definately depend on the certain book if I will buy them as printed books too.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Depends for me too !
I gladly re-read some of my pbooks, and these ones I'd like to have as ebooks !
So when I can (when I find them, and they're not too expensive !), I buy them as ebooks too.
For example, I used the Fictionwise Sale as an excuse this week-end, to buy the Farseer trilogy, and the Barbed Coil !
Another example : I have Pride and Prejudice on paperback since I was 17, and it was one of the first I had as ebook too (and I bought the special Penguin ebook version some months ago !)

BTW, I'd like to have the books of my favorite Sci-Fi french author as ebooks as well (it could be possible, as he got back his copyrights from his former publisher), but presently, unfortunately, it seems the priority is for his new books (only on paperback too ! ) New technology, it seems !

Edit : Oups ! Forgot the LOTR trilogy, but it's a special case, because my paperback version is in french, and the ebook version in english !

Last edited by Idoine; 05-12-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
At the moment, the ones I'm rebuying are those that get reread on a fairly regular basis.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote