Notices

View Poll Results: How to proceed with serious off-topic discussions
Add a new section "Salon" under Miscellaneous 89 80.91%
Add a new thread prefix "Keep it Sensible" to the Lounge 21 19.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 AM   #106
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Don't feel bad Sparrow! They weren't listening to my reply to your post, either!

Kaz

S'ok - it's hard to keep up and posts are easily missed.

Either that, or I'm on a lot of people's Ignore Lists.

No, I'm sure it's the former.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #107
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What about the rest of us?
My question entirely --i'll launch a poll on moher tongues to see what's happening...
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #108
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
If we must go this way, I'd try to keep the labels unambiguous.

Serious forum: just call it "Off Topic".

Silly forum: call it something like "Rumpus room".
It is my understanding that neither the title nor the description of the present Lounge forum will change. There are a great many serious topics under discussion there, and that is likely to remain the case. The participants often choose to "leaven" the discussions with humor. The proposed new forum would presumably have less of that. I'm not one of the people calling for a new forum, so those of you who are will need to decide what it should be called and how it should be described. But I suspect that many current Lounge participants will simply continue to post in the Lounge, including those who wish to discuss something "serious."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #109
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a name I think would do well for US and UK users alike...

The Conservatory

When I hear that, I think music. But that could just be me.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #110
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
...I suspect that many current Lounge participants will simply continue to post in the Lounge, including those who wish to discuss something "serious."
Yes, that's how I envisage it too.

My hopes for the new forum are that it will increase participation in MR from those who prefer a more sober approach. There are heaps of members who don't currently participate in discussions, and it would be great to hear from more of them.
The more the merrier!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #111
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
When I hear that, I think music. But that could just be me.
Same here... but there are two definitions of conservatory in my dictionary:

1 a college for the study of classical music or other arts.
2 a room with a glass roof and walls, attached to a house at one side and used as a greenhouse or a sun parlor.

Although in the US I don't think I have ever heard it used that way as in definition 2. That def to me would be a Lanai or Sun Room or even Porch.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 AM   #112
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is my understanding that neither the title nor the description of the present Lounge forum will change. There are a great many serious topics under discussion there, and that is likely to remain the case. The participants often choose to "leaven" the discussions with humor. The proposed new forum would presumably have less of that. I'm not one of the people calling for a new forum, so those of you who are will need to decide what it should be called and how it should be described. But I suspect that many current Lounge participants will simply continue to post in the Lounge, including those who wish to discuss something "serious."

I agree with you totally: Those who wish to post "serious" threads should (in my opinion) by all means continue to do so. The Lounge will continue on its course, with the posts changing only to reflect the posters' tastes within that Forum.

Don
Old 03-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #113
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

Sorry - did you say something?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM   #114
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
As the saying goes, "Sometimes you feel like a nut, some times you don't!"
Kaz
(totally not serious here )
One could be called "Almond Joy" and the other "Mounds".
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #115
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Sorry, Sparrow. I hereby duly credit you with the suggestion and vow to pay more attention.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

I just missed your post. Otherwise, I would not have double suggested.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #117
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I rather like "Conservatory," but I'm not the one who wants the new section, so I don't think I get a vote, really.

I suspect most Americans learned the word while playing Clue, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #118
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I rather like "Conservatory," but I'm not the one who wants the new section, so I don't think I get a vote, really.

I suspect most Americans learned the word while playing Clue, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

You have a voice and your voice/vote is important. (You have the smiley face after your comment, so I HOPE you're only joking.)

Don
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #119
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
You have a voice and your voice/vote is important. (You have the smiley face after your comment, so I HOPE you're only joking.)

Don
Really? Well, then let me add my voice as well.

Sometimes, discussions get so heated, a little silliness is needed to allow people to step back and take a break.

If the point is that the threads are being hijacked, and turned into just silliness, the solution is obvious.

A simple request by the OP or anyone else connected to the thread to "please stay on topic this is important to me" would be respected by all. Even me. We are not kindergardeners, and can be trusted to honor such requests.

Only ninnies would ignore the request, and would deserve to be ignored themselves.

Having to add a completely different thread prefix or section just seems excessively authoritarian. I realize as owners you can do this.

(My name is desertgrandma, and I approve the above message)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #120
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Having to add a completely different thread prefix or section just seems excessively authoritarian. I realize as owners you can do this.
May I just point out here that this request came from the MR membership not from the ownership. Also, by the poll it seems there is a demand for a separate area.

We have never been totalitarian here and are not about to start.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote