Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Kindle 2 bookmarking different than K1

I sent Amazon a Help request because my K2 was not saving my place in the current book between sessions. I turn off the Kindle when I am not using it, and when I'd go back to the book I had been reading, I was back on page 1. I don't leave the whispernet connection up when I'm not actually using it, so I wasn't using the remote sync feature.

This is the answer I got, which strikes me as strange but might interest other users...

'I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Kindle 2 saving your place while reading. When you slide the power switch on the top of Kindle 2 to the right for 10 seconds, your Kindle will power down, which will temporarily disconnect the battery from the Kindle. This will cause a loss in place in the book you're reading. As a solution, simply place the Kindle to sleep instead of turning it off when you're finished using Kindle. The Kindle 2 was designed to enter sleep mode when not in use, and will not significantly impact battery life in between charges. To do this, simply slide the Kindle's power switch to the right for 1 second and release'
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
unrequited
Zealot
unrequited doesn't litterunrequited doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2 DX
Yeah, if you're really picky about turning it completely off, just push Home first to save your place, then turn it off from the main screen. That should work.
unrequited is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
This is the answer I got, which strikes me as strange but might interest other users...

'I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with your Kindle 2 saving your place while reading. When you slide the power switch on the top of Kindle 2 to the right for 10 seconds, your Kindle will power down, which will temporarily disconnect the battery from the Kindle. This will cause a loss in place in the book you're reading. As a solution, simply place the Kindle to sleep instead of turning it off when you're finished using Kindle. The Kindle 2 was designed to enter sleep mode when not in use, and will not significantly impact battery life in between charges. To do this, simply slide the Kindle's power switch to the right for 1 second and release'
But their answer is wrong. At least, I always turn my Kindle off when I won't be using it and it always (about 25 books so far) brings me right back to where I was when I turn it back on.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Mine does not, sadly. I've been reading a book and I keep having to page forward from the beginning every time I go back to it/
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
Mine does not, sadly. I've been reading a book and I keep having to page forward from the beginning every time I go back to it/
Is it just on one book? There's another thread around here with someone having the same problem, can't remember if they solved it or not.
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I just turned my Kindle all the way off after bookmarking and going to the Home screen and I had no trouble returning to my bookmarked page. Very weird that not only are some people having this problem but that Amazon seems to think it's normal.
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
It makes absolute sense that if you power the Kindle off (not sleep mode, but off) that the place in a book would be lost. The .mpb file (which holds the place left off for each book) only updates when you exit the book. When you resume from power off, you go back to the menu screen, therefore it wouldn't know where you were.

I don't see why people power off instead of sleep mode anyway, but if you do, exit to the home screen first. If you want to be double-certain, set an alt-b bookmark.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
CRoss
Bibliophile
CRoss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Unless you're on an airplane, in which case you have to power off your Kindle. Like I said, I just did this and the bookmarked page came right back up.
CRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRoss View Post
Unless you're on an airplane, in which case you have to power off your Kindle. Like I said, I just did this and the bookmarked page came right back up.
I have a 505 and when I am on a plane, I just put my 505 into sleep mode and wait till I can wake up the 505 and read again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I think amazon cs are giving wrong answers. When I had K2 and turned it off and back on I was on the bookmark page and I just tried it on K1 and it worked just fine. K2 is fairly new device and cs may not be familiar with it or had inadequate training in troubleshooting.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 AM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think it depends on the book and the Kindle software. The point is:

1. If you let it go to sleep, it *always* saves your place.
2. If you go back to Home and then turn it off, it *always* saves your place.
3. If you don't go back to Home and then turn it off, you're taking your chances.

So stop doing #3.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
The .mpb file (which holds the place left off for each book) only updates when you exit the book.
How do you know this? And, why do many people report that this isn't the case. I know the K1 is a different machine but I can turn it off, and when I turn it back on it returns to the same exact location.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
FWIW, I just put up a book on my Kindle 2 (The Consolations of Philosophy, by Boethius, which I downloaded from Mobileread), turned a few pages, and turned my Kindle 2 off (held power button 5 seconds until I got a blank screen). When I turned the Kindle on again, I was at the last page I'd read in the book.

I think this "loosing one's place when turning the Kindle off in the middle of the book" is atypical. It might be worth checking Amazon customer service again: I get the impression that some of them are more informed than others.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Ok, I think I figured out the problem last night. I think the problem with not saving the last page read when turning off has to do with Topaz (.tpz, .azw1, .azw2) format books. I was reading one last night and it does the same thing described by the OP. Just one more reason Topaz format sucks.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
gobills
gobills began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 1, Sony 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
How do you know this? And, why do many people report that this isn't the case. I know the K1 is a different machine but I can turn it off, and when I turn it back on it returns to the same exact location.

BOb
It's in the Amazon customer service thread:

Quote:
Last Page Read
You do not need to power down Kindle 2 between reading sessions, it is
best to leave the device in sleep mode. Holding the switch at the top to
power the device off is similar to pulling the power cord on your
computer without shutting down the Operating System. If you turn the
device off while in the middle of the book, the device cannot save that
location. We save the location when the device goes into sleep mode or
when you leave the book, so if you do need to power the device off then
be sure to go to the Home screen first - this will save your last place