Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
mathui
mathui began at the beginning.

Device: none
Introduce myself

Hi,

I'm Mat, and I have been looking at this ereader for a rather long time now. I have decided to buy one, and my first choice would be the Kindle, but unfortunately it is not available in Europe (I am Dutch). And i am not aware of any plans of Amazon to introduce it over here.

The PlasticLogic device looks good on paper , and was supposed to be introduced in the 1st half of this year. But from their website I gather this has been postponed to next year (2010).

So what now? An iRex Iliad?

Anyway, I like this forum.

mat
mathui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help you with European reader availability. I have and can recommend both the Cybook Gen3 (good software) & the Hanlin V3 (US version is the EZ Reader & there are other variants - BeBook, etc). I like the EZ Reader hardware best but the software is not as good as the Cybook's (however I have hopes for improvement).

Anyway there are several people who know what's available and they can recommend other readers.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi mat and welcome to the Forum. Be sure and let us know what you finally get.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathui View Post
I'm Mat, and I have been looking at this ereader for a rather long time now. I have decided to buy one, and my first choice would be the Kindle, but unfortunately it is not available in Europe (I am Dutch). And i am not aware of any plans of Amazon to introduce it over here.

mat
Welcome first of all.

Secondly... I can't tell you Amazons plans. But, if you want a Kindle there are ways. Find someone in the US to buy one for you, and ship it to you. Or, buy one on eBay. Although, with the current shipping shortage I'd expect the eBay prices are carrying a bit of a premium. Unless you find a used one. People don't see to want those as much.

Once you buy one your best bet is to create a new amazon.com account and register your kindle to it. Then, but Gift Cards on your Dutch account, and apply them to your US account. (If you have a non-US credit card attached to your Amazon account it will not let you buy Kindle books.)

Then again, of course you don't NEED to buy Kindle books. You can get mobipocket ebooks anywhere and remove the DRM. It takes about 1 minutes to do... just a quick script to run after you d/l the book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
mathui
mathui began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you all for your advice. I am not sure yet, but I am tempted by an Iliad 2nd edition.

Lot of money, though.

mathui
mathui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome, Mat
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi! Yes it is very frustrating that Kindle not available in the rest of world. One of the main benefits is the wireless feature, but obviously can't be used in Europe! When I last emailed Amazon, they still reply that they have no plans to sell in Europe. But, you never know, competition is increasing. I've found the Wiki here really useful in comparing devices.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello Mat & welcome to MobileRead. Although the Kindle is not yet marketed in Europe, there are certainly a significant number of Kindle owners outside of the USA. But if you want to focus on a device marketed in your country, check out the Wiki for other devices. (I'm not sure if Sony, Cybook, Hanlin, or the others are being sold in The Netherlands.) Since no one has made the perfect eBook reader -- yet -- just find one that meets most of your needs and get busy reading books!
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote