Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Possible Samsung Galaxy Tab ... Questions

Not sure this is the right place, but here goes ....
(And I realize this may be a dumb question)

I have a Nook (I love it, not changing) ... but I'm thinking of buying dear hubby a Samsung Galaxy Tab. (Android 3.2).

On my Nook, I know that when I'm reading, I'm reading from a file stored on the Nook ... so I can read in Airplane mode.

I have the Nook "app" on my laptop, and I know I've downloaded the book files on to the computer's hard drive because quite a few of the books I've put on my daughter's Nook and that was the only way to do it.

BUT, when I put the Android Nook App on the new tablet, will the books he buys be stored on the tablet ... so he can read in Airplane mode ... or on a B&N server and he can only read when he's connected to a network?

And I would assume the answer to the above would be the same for the Kindle Android App .... correct?

Thanks for helping a Android newbie!

OOOH ... one more quick question .... when I read from my Nook, I can only read from my account. However, on my PC app, I can sign in as either myself OR my daughter. Is the same true of the Android Apps? and does that mean that, if the files are stored on the tablet, I could read my own books while he is driving?

Thanks!
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
Not sure this is the right place, but here goes ....
(And I realize this may be a dumb question)

I have a Nook (I love it, not changing) ... but I'm thinking of buying dear hubby a Samsung Galaxy Tab. (Android 3.2).

On my Nook, I know that when I'm reading, I'm reading from a file stored on the Nook ... so I can read in Airplane mode.

I have the Nook "app" on my laptop, and I know I've downloaded the book files on to the computer's hard drive because quite a few of the books I've put on my daughter's Nook and that was the only way to do it.

BUT, when I put the Android Nook App on the new tablet, will the books he buys be stored on the tablet ... so he can read in Airplane mode ... or on a B&N server and he can only read when he's connected to a network?

And I would assume the answer to the above would be the same for the Kindle Android App .... correct?

Thanks for helping a Android newbie!

OOOH ... one more quick question .... when I read from my Nook, I can only read from my account. However, on my PC app, I can sign in as either myself OR my daughter. Is the same true of the Android Apps? and does that mean that, if the files are stored on the tablet, I could read my own books while he is driving?

Thanks!
You can download the books for offline reading.
If I remember correctly, you even can side load books = not downloading the ones you bought from B&N, but copying others from 3rd party (without DRM copy protection).
I haven't tried, using 2 accounts. But when accidentally logging out once, the app deleted my books. So you definitely can use more than 1 account, but I guess you have to redownload your books again then. Shouldn't be a problem, if downloading only a handful of books. Probably will be annoying, if redownloading an entire library of hundreds of books all the time. But in this worst case scenario, you still should be able to use 2 SD cards: One with your books and one with the books from another account. BUT: As far as I know, not all Samsung Galaxy Tabs do support SD!
Or you can strip the books from DRM (= remove copy protection). Then you can use them independently from the B&N account.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert