Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use your Kobo to buy books?
No I don’t. 33 32.67%
No I don’t but I like having the option to do so. 24 23.76%
Hell no I hate having that on my Kobo. 9 8.91%
Yes I do. 27 26.73%
I love these options to get new books. 1 0.99%
I don’t use my Kobo to buy books but I do from the website thanks to the suggestions from my Kobo. 5 4.95%
I could care less either way. 2 1.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yep...all the time! Painfully slow on my Kobo WiFi, but super quick on my Vox or using Kobo app on my phone!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I didn't use my Kobo to buy books and I don't use my kindle to buy books. I just wanted a reader on which to load my pre-existing books. The kindle, despite the lack of micro sd card slot is the best at it. They have a buy from kindle store option if you look for it, but it's not right there on the menu, not even with an "oh but you can opt out!" option....

cheers
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Keep the votes coming
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I don’t use my Kobo to buy books but I do from the website.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That last option is incorrect without the negative. It's "I couldn't care less".
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #21
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
What I find interesting is that if you compare the negative options (1. No I don't & 3. I hate having that) and the positive options (2. No but I like having the option & 4. Yes I do), you come out slightly in favour of on reader buying (26 negative vs. 28 positive) or 52% in favour.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #22
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I would buy their books if they used regular epub--don't like the page numbers on kepub.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #23
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@peitsai: so download the ePub version then!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #24
vasken
vasken began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Why not?

What would you say the biggest problem is with buying on the device?

Is it hard to find interesting books? Hard to figure out if the interesting book is worth buying? Hard to buy it once you decided to purchase it?
vasken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #25
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasken View Post

Is it hard to find interesting books? Hard to figure out if the interesting book is worth buying? Hard to buy it once you decided to purchase it?
I want to open my reader, see my library, pick a book and read (for me it's a reader not a purchasing tool)

Dont want to sit watching it sync while it downloads newest, recommended and whatever else it auto downloads (might not be applicable on all devices)

This constant push of things kobo thinks/wants me to buy is one thing that is driving me away from kobo
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
The same reason as @paulsalter stated above. I want a reader, not a store.

None of the books I own are books that I haven't stored and categorized on calibre first (and inserted metadata as first page, and put my own cover and tweaked the text), so being able to buy on a reader is irrelevant. I always change the book's formatting to meet my nit-picky needs.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
i "buy" lotsa books through my kobo. they just all happen to be free

i partially bought my ereader to take advantage of all the 1.5 million (or whatever it is) free ebooks that you can get easily though kobo. i realise you can get them through other sources, and i do sometimes, but sometimes i like the simplicity of looking through the kobo store...easier than using the kobo browser a lot of the time.

I read a lot of classics, so being able to download free books whenever i have wifi is a huge bonus. don't know if/when i will actually buy ebooks, but for now, it's like a crazy good library.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #28
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasken View Post

I use my Kobo to read.

I use my computer to browse through the books I might be interested in - I visit the Kobo website (not the desktop app) and I also look at Amazon and other stores. I read reviews (which Kobo doesn't provide) and then I choose the best price and buy my book. Quite often it is from Kobo (especially when I can use a discount code) but sometimes it is another store. I always download the book and then put it through Calibre to remove DRM and convert to epub if necessary. Then I back it up before transfering the book to my Kobo to read.
You can't do all that on the kobo so for me all the shop links etc are a waste of screen space and memory.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
What I find interesting is that if you compare the negative options (1. No I don't & 3. I hate having that) and the positive options (2. No but I like having the option & 4. Yes I do), you come out slightly in favour of on reader buying (26 negative vs. 28 positive) or 52% in favour.
And with 71 votes, it is 54% for on device buying. It seems fairly consistent that a slim majority prefer on device buying.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #30
winsomnia
Groupie
winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.winsomnia can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kobo Touch, kobo Aura
I want to clarify why I do not use my Kobo as a device for buying books. I buy lots of books from kobobooks.com, that's not the issue. The issue for me is that buying and reading are two different activities. When I seek to make a book purchase, I'm not buying to read the thing right away. It's a purchase for future use. When I'm reading, I don't (all of a sudden) get the urge to buy a book. I'm reading one that I'm invested in at the moment, and that's all I'm interested in doing.

Besides, It takes me forever to find an ebook I want to purchase. You can't just return the ebook for refund if you're dissatisfied (generally speaking), so I try very hard to figure out if the author's writing style suits me, and if other people recommend it, and if I'm willing to take a gamble on the publishers' quality control (because I really hate terribly formatted ebooks).

I used to walk into bookstores browse books and buy some on a whim. If I didn't like them I would just pass them off to someone else. I can't do that with ebooks (not legally, anyway).
winsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote