Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #91
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
However B&N never licensed it's DRM scheme to any other manufactures.
So in effect B&N devices are compatible with every Adobe ePUB DRM vendor while no one else is is compatible with their eBooks. It helps makes their devices more attractive ans subtly locking them into their store.

=X=
Part of the deal between Adobe and B&N is that password style DRM is now a part of Adobe's DRM offerings. It's being made to work in ADE and is supposed to made to work in Content Server (if it doesn't already) and has worked for anyone who enables it in the RMSDK for quite a while now. It has nothing to do with B&N licensing anything to other manufacturers.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:20 AM   #92
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
I'm still pissed at you, Kobo. But damn, the mini is sexy. And a high-res 6" display on something besides the ill-fated iRiver Story HD? Hmmm.
Important to note that Kobo Glo's display is Pearl E-ink, 1024x758, this screen is not publicly available yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
If I was looking to upgrade today, I would definitely be looking at these over the Amazon offerings. Just not a fan of the Amazon cloud ecosystem.

Sticking point for me (and I admit to not looking at the specs yet) is does Kobo handle B&N's DRM'd epubs? I have many files for my NOOK at the moment that I don't want to lose. Or would I have to use Calibre and the various plug-ins to get those files to work? Totally doable, but I like the least hassles possible.
We do use the latest RMSDK, but I do not know if we have this turned on. If it is not turned on, I will make sure supporting it on our side is put on our roadmap. Unfortunately won't be able to share a schedule, but at least it will get on the todo list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Is it etched in the plastic? Is it removable? I'm sorry to be stuck on this point, but aesthetics are important to me. I know it could be hidden by a case, but the fact I know it's there would be hard to overcome.
The quilt is created with grooves a couple millimeters thick etched into the back of the device. On Glo, the back is not removable. On Mini, the back is removable and we will have a variety of backs available as replacements. I will check to see if there are any plans for a non-quilted back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The new Kindles are a bust for me, so now I want to see the Kobo Mini. That one's a definite possibility if it'll fit in my shirt pocket comfortably.
I have tested this myself and happy to say that it works for my front shirt pockets. Not all shirt pockets are created equal, so your experience may vary. However, Kobo Mini is IMO the most pocketable ereader on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
On another note, do Kobo readers work with Dropbox? I've searched the forums and found some posts suggesting that they do, but it's not entirely clear to me.
Not yet. You could try through the experimental browser, I have not tried myself yet, but I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Something I haven't seen anywhere yet: is there likely to be any problem using sideloaded fonts on the Kobo Glo? I wouldn't have thought so, but I wanted to check.
No, no problem using sideloaded fonts. The only limitation is that sideloaded fonts will not be able to take advantage of TypeGenius as our preloaded fonts do.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #93
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

No, no problem using sideloaded fonts. The only limitation is that sideloaded fonts will not be able to take advantage of TypeGenius as our preloaded fonts do.
Thanks! Now if only there was an Australian store taking preorders.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #94
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone knows when the Kobo Mini will be available at Amazon.com? I really like it.

Also, if the back is removable, it would be cool if you could buy a cover that includes the back and snaps into place. It would be more compact this way. Something similar in looks to the new Kindle Paperwhite leather cover, with magnetic lock.
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #95
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:

Not yet. You could try through the experimental browser, I have not tried myself yet, but I will.
I just checked it out.

I can download from Dropbox.com using the Touch experimental browser. I actually keep my calibre library in cubby.com and I can download from there as well. I can also download using calibre server with the experimental browser. You need to use http://, not just the numbers.

It's not pretty, but all three work. I am running a beta of the Touch firmware, so YMMV. I have no idea if the browser has changed recently.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:07 AM   #96
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Important to note that Kobo Glo's display is Pearl E-ink, 1024x758, this screen is not publicly available yet.

There does appear to be other Pearl 1024x768 screens out:

http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html

So the one in the Glo is different? Do they have better contrast (without the Glo lite on)? Is it a plastic vs glass difference?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #97
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Something I haven't seen anywhere yet: is there likely to be any problem using sideloaded fonts on the Kobo Glo? I wouldn't have thought so, but I wanted to check.
There are reports that sideloaded fonts are "too light". I think I've seen this myself: I used to use Roboto, but with the latest firmware, I think it did seem lighter, and switched back to an internal font. I'm not sure about this, I may be mistaken and could just be mass hysteria.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #98
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo has worked to improve the sideloaded fonts through the beta process. They did go wonky in the released 2.x builds with sideloaded book, in particular. Other than not being able to do the font tuning Sameer talked about, you should have no complaints.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:45 AM   #99
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
758? A typo? Or does the lighting cover ten pixels at the bottom?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #100
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
We do use the latest RMSDK, but I do not know if we have this turned on. If it is not turned on, I will make sure supporting it on our side is put on our roadmap. Unfortunately won't be able to share a schedule, but at least it will get on the todo list.
A chance to upgrade/poach the other guys' customers versus the possibility of losing a few ebook sales. Shouldn't be hard for the beancounters to put a value on that.
Plus it undercuts B&N's Nook-exclusives efforts and strengthens the weakening "epub is a standard, really", argument. (Just sayin'. )
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #101
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
@Taming - Thanks for the Dropbox info!

Quote:
We do use the latest RMSDK, but I do not know if we have this turned on. If it is not turned on, I will make sure supporting it on our side is put on our roadmap ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A chance to upgrade/poach the other guys' customers ...
@Sameer & Kobo - FWIW, I am one of those poachable customers. I started buying all of my ebooks from Barnes & Noble after having been turned off by Adobe Digital Editions and the whole content-server experience. I also avoid Amazon/Kindle for similar reasons (that, and I'm allergic to AZW).

But your Kobo Glo is enticing enough that I might be persuaded to switch if Kobo Glo supports password-based Adobe DRM so that I won't lose my entire Nook library.

Last edited by Jane12; 09-08-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #102
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Another article about the new Kobo readers:

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/09/kobo-new-ereaders/
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #103
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
I was very interested by the Kobo Mini. I bought an Astak Pocket Pro a few years ago. It had that 5-inch screen and I love the light weight as well as the form factor but I've been spoiled by Pearl Screens. I still use it once in awhile but that old Vizplex screen feels too washed out now.

I still love that little book reader. I can't believe I paid $230 for it though. That was a pretty good price at the time but the Kobo's price is so much more attractive.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #104
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Kobo mini hands-on review:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-mini-ereader/
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #105
anonymoose
bookaholic
anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anonymoose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura, Kobo Touch, Kobo app on iPhone
I just saw that Indigo/Chapters also put up a demo of both the Glo and the Mini on YouTube. And the glow of the Glo is demo'ed with the room lights turned down so you can see the brightness.

http://youtu.be/_Ra7g0Gb3Xs
anonymoose is offline   Reply With Quote