Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question Totally unrelated to anything

This has nothing to do with anything, but I figure someone around here might know an answer for me, so I ask.

I've recently bought a used PS2 game, and the console won't run it. When I put the disk in, the console goes into the browser thing, just as if there were no disk in it at all. Other disks work just fine.

It looked a bit scuffed, so I ran it through one of those disk-fixer things (about a dozen times), but still no dice. It looks almost new now, though there are still a few small marks remaining.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to anything else to try?

Alternatively, does anyone have any idea what the deal is?

I know that probably wouldn't be any actual help in solving the problem, but it would give me a bit of satisfaction to have some idea what the problem was.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Couldn't you just return it and claim a refund because it is faulty?
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
As Patricia said, try to return it. Most stores I have heard about warrant that the disks will work. Since you want the game, exchange for the same title is what you seek anyway.

Another course of action might be to try and copy the disk on your computer and see if it can read the "defective" disk. ISO image copy may be the best bet here.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've considered returning it, but it was mail-ordered, so the worth to "pain in the neck" ratio is probably pretty close to 1.

I'll look into the ISO copy idea when I can get to the PC that has the DVD drive on it (the wife's writing her dissertation on it).

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've recently bought a used PS2 game, and the console won't run it. When I put the disk in, the console goes into the browser thing, just as if there were no disk in it at all. Other disks work just fine.
Just stating the obvious... Are you sure the title is a PS2 one; If you hold the 'on/reset' button longer (until the 'blue' light comes on and release the 'on/reset' button), you will be booting up in PS1 emulation mode. Maybe it is a PS1 title?

Otherwise, try booting up normally, then after failing to load at the browser screen, pop open the PS2 tray, and with your PS2 disc in th the tray, lightly tap the 'on/reset' button. The tray should close automatically and the PS2 should boot up again. This time the PS2 is 'warm' and may load fussy discs!

Hope this helps!
Advert
Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Thanks for the suggestions, nrapallo.

The game disk itself says PS2 on it, so I'm pretty sure that it's a PS2 game. Also, the console hasn't ever given me trouble with the PS1 games I've used in it.

I've tried putting it in after removing another game disk that does work, and when I was polishing it all those times, I left the console on (for ... probably 40 minutes all told), so I assume it ought to have had plenty of time to warm up under those circumstances.

I do appreciate the suggestions, though, thank you.

I didn't even know about the PS1 emulation mode, I'm glad to know of it regardless.

Does anybody know why the 40GB PS3 won't run PS2 games, but will run PS1 games? Or has that has been ... dealt with somehow by now?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #7
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Does anybody know why the 40GB PS3 won't run PS2 games, but will run PS1 games? Or has that has been ... dealt with somehow by now?
No clue, but it must be Marketing's fault!

p.s. the 'warm' comment in my previous post referred to the fact that the PS2 laser doesn't power down completely when reset with the light tap.

It shuts off and restarts when you boot up normally or reset after having the PS2 on (for say 40 minutes)!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, definitely Marketing's fault.

I was flipping the thing on and off like crazy at times during that period, sometimes 15 or 20 times in a row. I may specifically try what you suggested there, but I'm kinda thinking I've probably already got it covered by accident.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try searching for the game title and "problem", maybe others had it too.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:41 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hmm. Nothing jumps out in the first several google results pages, so it must not be a widespread problem, at any rate.

On another note, the PC seems to read the disk just fine, I'll pick up some more blank DVDs next time I'm where they have 'em and see if I can get any satisfaction that way.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:51 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Final answer on this: making an ISO image of the "faulty" game disk was easy enough, and burning a new copy was of course no trick, but when I put it into the PS2 the ungrateful thing insisted that it wasn't a PS game disk! The nerve of it!

Anyway, I just found another copy. Fortunately they're cheap used.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:13 AM   #12
nrapallo

Quote:
Final answer on this: making an ISO image of the "faulty" game disk was easy enough, and burning a new copy was of course no trick, but when I put it into the PS2 the ungrateful thing insisted that it wasn't a PS game disk! The nerve of it!

Anyway, I just found another copy. Fortunately they're cheap used.
Good that you go it to work (in a round-a-bout defeatist way)! Now was it worth all the effort?

BTW, the bold part I added to your quote above only works in a *modded* PS2; you cannot simply copy a PS2 disc and have it work in an unmodified PS2 or without running one of the many tricks around for doing so.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yes, the mod factor, totally forgot about that one. I don't think I'll try to do that at this stage: this is the first time I've run into a need to do so, which makes me think I'm unlikely to hit it again.

Was it worth it? Well, I was looking for a game to replace War of the Monsters (the motion on it makes me sick) and this one, Rampage: Total Destruction has some of the same features: destroy everything. It's not as cool as WOTM, but it's not making me sick so far, so I'll call it a moderate win.
Closed Thread