Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-22-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhawk View Post
However, the jetbook looks good... if there is a way for me to convert my pdfs to a format that it allows you to play with the font sizes with.
You looked at Calibre? It can do a batch convert of pdf to mobi or epub.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #17
powerhawk
powerhawk began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hmm, so if I put the files in one of those formats, would the jetbook let me play with the font sizes and reflow the text?
powerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #18
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
According to https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JetBook , the JetBook supports mobi and epub. It also says it has two embedded fonts and six sizes. I don't know if it supports custom fonts or not (ie you can load your own fonts on it). You could go to the Jetbook forum here and ask.

However, there should not be any problem with reflow and font sizes. These formats support this with no problem.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #19
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, I don't think with a mostly PDF library you will be satisfied with anything that has a display under 8", and unless you plan to only view files converted from PDFs (not likely to be stellar by any measure) chances are integrated dictionary use is out.

If I were in your shoes, I'd forget about any integrated dictionary support (and instead purchase a high quality dictionary eBook for my device to consult more traditionally) and save up for an iRex Digital Reader (10" display).
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
powerhawk
powerhawk began at the beginning.

Well my friend converts his pdfs to the kindle format at it works great... I guess I could drop the dictionary and just look the words up later
powerhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #21
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhawk View Post
Well my friend converts his pdfs to the kindle format at it works great... I guess I could drop the dictionary and just look the words up later
Ok, well that's different then. If you have seen the quality of the sort of PDFs you will be reading converted, and you find them acceptable, go with the others' advice.

I had been assuming that you were being overly optimistic about the convertability of your documents... but if you know for a fact it works in a way that you are happy enough with, no need to spend over and above on larger than a 6 incher.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote