Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony touch prs600
Justification

I remember my mother telling me that when I was I child I was always curled up with a book, and at one point said to her "I might not be good at many things, but I'm good at reading" (which is in fact not entirely true, I'm very marvellous at many things)

However I wonder if this is sufficient justification to ask my brother to buy me a Kindle for Christmas. I know I've only just bought myself a Sony prs 600 but he does have a squillion nectar points which can be redeemed at Amazon and will mean that I can utilise my reading skills on free books for the Kindle which are not free for the Sony.

It's not like handbags or shoes, when you need matching for every outfit (or you would if you were a girlier girl than me).

So help me out, how do you justify multiple ownership of what is, essentially the same thing - it's an e-reader.
Georgiegirl2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
you need a spare .... (making sure the books you have and will have can be read on both, of course!)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
And some books are only available in Kindle format.
And the Kindle commercials have the best jingles.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm trying to justify buying a new PRS-350 when I've only had my PRS-300 for about five months. I can't imagine why I'd ever need two. I would just be using the 350 all the time and the 300 would collect dust. I could sell it on Fleabay, but wouldn't get much for it I'm sure.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi Georgiegirl2012, et al,

with any product or consumable item, I think it is important to have access to a representative sample of the population. Only by doing this can you make informed opinions as to the value of that product.

I'm not sure what a statistically representative number would be, but it must logically be greater than one. And given that the products on the market very rarely share identical capabilities and features, then you owe it to your peace of mind to be certain that you have at least one that is "right."

Given that no product lasts forever, you may want to invest in a degree of insurance to protect your reading activities. This means, of course, more than one reader.

I'd suggest you now have some perfectly good reasons for acquiring sufficient readers for you purposes.

Regards,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #6
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur
Georgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the roughGeorgiegirl2012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I'm trying to justify buying a new PRS-350 when I've only had my PRS-300 for about five months. I can't imagine why I'd ever need two. I would just be using the 350 all the time and the 300 would collect dust. I could sell it on Fleabay, but wouldn't get much for it I'm sure.

Because it's cute and you can get it in pink!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
I have both an Adobe DRM-based ePub reader (jetBook) and a Kindle 3. They complement each other for what I read. If you really need both types of reader, go for it. Otherwise, talk your brother into buying you something you really need.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Georgiegirl2012
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
I have both an Adobe DRM-based ePub reader (jetBook) and a Kindle 3. They complement each other for what I read. If you really need both types of reader, go for it. Otherwise, talk your brother into buying you something you really need.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
I really need a sturdy rotary washing line!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
to hang the readers out to dry !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You need one for the cat to sleep on while you read (disclosure: Does not really work, they know which one you are using and that is the one they want)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #11
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I'm justifying asking for one for Christmas by saying it has better bibles, or at least better ability to go the book, chapter and verse I want more easily. My 300 doesn't do so well with the bibles I've found.

I know my son wants to get me a 42ish inch screen tv for Christmas by going in with his sister and grandfather, but I might want him to get me a Kindle instead. Or I'll ask my hubby for one.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
hols57
hols57
hols57 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300packed up -thanks,Sony!) Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiegirl2012 View Post
I really need a sturdy rotary washing line!

What you WANT and what you NEED are two different things!! There's no fun in a rotary washing line!
hols57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I've got three, and two of them are loaned out right now -- one to my mother and the other to my niece. I've taken it on as a sacred quest to expose everybody I meet to the pleasures of reading e-books! And if I ever need a backup reader, I'll just go get one of them back.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I suppose the argument that you would use on your brother about getting a second ebook reader would depend on if his is right-justified or left-justified...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #15
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I suppose the argument that you would use on your brother about getting a second ebook reader would depend on if his is right-justified or left-justified...
It really needs to be full-justified....
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote