Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
JoeInTX
JoeInTX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie Question

I've been toying with the idea of a Kindle, however one of the things I do like about a real book is the fact that I can easily tell how far along I am. I don't mean just page numbers but I can actually see if I'm halfway done, about 1/4 more to go etc...

Does the Kindle have some type of "progress bar" to indicate how much of a book has been read?

I do like the search capability and built in dictionary!
JoeInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Amazon uses location numbers rather than page numbers and there is a progress bar.

Go to the Amazon Kindle Product page

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...pf_rd_i=507846

and look down at the picture of the Kindle in the "Product at a Glance" section. You can see the progress bar and the Kindle Location at the bottom of the kindle screen there.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
JoeInTX
JoeInTX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Oh, I see now! Many thanks!
JoeInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Amazon uses location numbers rather than page numbers and there is a progress bar.

Go to the Amazon Kindle Product page

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...pf_rd_i=507846

and look down at the picture of the Kindle in the "Product at a Glance" section. You can see the progress bar and the Kindle Location at the bottom of the kindle screen there.
Yep. What I would like is to be able to toggle that bar between progress in the book as a whole and progress in the chapter.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
You'll also notice that it has a "percentage read" indicator in the bottom left corner. I thought that this would be of particular interest to you since you mentioned that you gauge your reading by "halfway done, about 1/4 more to go etc... ". I find that I use the percentage display as my way of gauging more precisely where I am in a book.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Some books have chapter markers on the progress bar so you can see how far you are in a chapter. It is not available on every book. I really like when the books have the chapter markers, it makes it easier to know if I should start a new chapter or not.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Some books have chapter markers on the progress bar so you can see how far you are in a chapter. It is not available on every book. I really like when the books have the chapter markers, it makes it easier to know if I should start a new chapter or not.
Precisely. When I'm reading at bedtime, that would be such a help.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote