Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by random50 View Post
I hope they're not that dim. You'd think a company set up by physicists and engineers would recognise the potential need to write equations.
Oh, I don't know; all those wiz kids down at Palo Alto (Apple) didn't!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Oh, I don't know; all those wiz kids down at Palo Alto (Apple) didn't!
Because it's a media consumption device and not meant for much productivity use, content creation etc. They designed it to be a slick device to watch videos, read books, magazines, comics etc., play games, surf the net, check e-mail etc. Not to do much in the way of doing any work with documents beyond reading them.

The Que was hyped as being a reader for the business crowd, so having limited writing support on it seems like a glaring omission. Where as the iPad just isn't aimed or marketed at that crowd. The TV commercial doesn't show any real hints of doing "work" on the iPad for instance.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #19
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Yes, all that hype that old Steve Jobs has created in the media about the superiority of capacitative screens... While in reality they have a lot of disadvantages, too. I have used both, and personally am quite happy with a good, responsive resistive screen like I have on my phone. The fact that you sometimes have to use a little pressure helps avoid accidental presses and I love being able to use the stylus or fingernail for clicking on links, etc. And for those who have real winters -- you even need special gloves for your iphones!
I will say that really varies by device. The capacitive screen is better for a media consumption tablet like the iPad as it's just SUPER responsive for clicking things, swiping pages, scrolling etc.

But it's not as good as a resistive touch screen for stylus writing, a phone in cold weather (as you note etc.).

I'm really torn as I do want to mark up documents with a stylus, but at the same time I love the super responsive finger touching found on the iPad. And at the end of the day I'll use whatever tablet I by mainly for just reading, surfing, watching videos etc. I'd be lucky if 2% of the usage would be document mark up. So I really need to check out something like iAnnotate with a capacitive stylus I guess, and see if it's workable for me.

As I'm not sure I could give up the responsiveness of the touch screen of the iPad and other capacitive screens for better stylus writing that I wouldn't use that much. I hate the touch screen on my LG voyager for instance. It's resistive and just sucks compared to the iPhone screen etc.

If I can't write well on a capacitive screen tablet, I may just say the hell with marking up documents electronically and stick with printouts indefinitely and just get a tablet for media consumption purposes as I vastly prefer net surfing, video watching, reading etc. on the iPad to my laptop. Interface is just so slick for that stuff, and it's nice to get away from a PC or laptop with as much time as I spend on them doing work!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote