Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Asus Eee Seen in the Wild

Yesterday, a friend of mine couldn't wait to show me his new Asus Eee (thinking I'd never heard of it ). He's a Mac user but needs a PC for work. He is in love with this little machine.

For those in the U.S. he purchased it at Costco. Here are some pics. BTW, his Asus and my Kindle are now dating (they are very close to the same size when the Asus is closed). I think I might be going shopping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a3.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	14338   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	14339   Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	14340  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Daffy, is this the 901? Here in Switzerland, you hear a lot about the Eee, but you don't really see them that much in stores. I could get an outdated version, like the 900, but that's about it. ;(
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll go over and ask him as soon as I get a chance. I'll let you know.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Alas, it is the 900. If I hear of a new version, I'll let you know.

Edit: Here is a link for the 1000 being sold in the U.S. for about $150 more than the 900.

Edit2: Here is the 901 for an extra $50, so they seem to be readily available.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-14-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:05 PM   #5
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yesterday, a friend of mine couldn't wait to show me his new Asus Eee (thinking I'd never heard of it ). He's a Mac user but needs a PC for work. He is in love with this little machine.

For those in the U.S. he purchased it at Costco. Here are some pics. BTW, his Asus and my Kindle are now dating (they are very close to the same size when the Asus is closed). I think I might be going shopping.
I can't believe you would let your Kindle slum it like that, Not when there are so many eligible MacBook Air's running around.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryleejr View Post
I can't believe you would let your Kindle slum it like that, Not when there are so many eligible MacBook Air's running around.

JJ
Ahh, but I am a Windows girl. Macs confuse me.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:18 PM   #7
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Ahh, but I am a Windows girl. Macs confuse me.
Macs are from Mars and Windows are from Venus or Something like that...

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Alas, it is the 900. If I hear of a new version, I'll let you know.

Edit: Here is a link for the 1000 being sold in the U.S. for about $150 more than the 900.

Edit2: Here is the 901 for an extra $50, so they seem to be readily available.

Question: The 900 says it uses WinXP. Can I get either of the others that way? They both say Linux, which I understand is supposed to be great, but I'm not looking to do anything more complicated than point-&-click in a familiar Windows setting.

If so, then I think maybe this is what my husband is looking for.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Question: The 900 says it uses WinXP. Can I get either of the others that way? They both say Linux, which I understand is supposed to be great, but I'm not looking to do anything more complicated than point-&-click in a familiar Windows setting.

Here is the 901 in black or the white with XP Home.

I'm now looking at the HP KX868AT 2133 Mini-Note PC 8.9” Notebook PC. Bigger hard drive and has an Express Card slot that will allow me to use my broadband wireless express card where wi-fi is not available.

Last edited by daffy4u; 07-14-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling and fixed wierd link
Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post

I have the 701 and XP can be loaded on it. I did it successfully but was not able to make it recognize my wireless network. So I went back to Linux. It has a "similar" point & click and I've had not problems with it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:05 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Here is a 900 with XP home and it has a $100 rebate for a final price of $449.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #12
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Here is a 900 with XP home and it has a $100 rebate for a final price of $449.
Thanks!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #13
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I'm waiting for the Acer One. I want to get one for the wife. So she'll stop nicking my UX380.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
I'm waiting for the Acer One. I want to get one for the wife. So she'll stop nicking my UX380.
What rumors are you hearing about price? Like the machine, hate the web site.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #15
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Well. I've heard that it will be 225 quid (sorry Pounds Sterling) in the UK for the basic linux version (512meg memory, 8 gig solid state storage). And that there will be a version with Windows XP, 1 Gig memory and a 120 gig Hard drive (at around 300 quid).

If it goes to usual technical form (1 GBP = 1 USD... Go figure!) you can expect prices similar to the EEE PC.

See Here
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote