Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Possible Waterfield Designs Case for Sony Reader

Hi all,

I have been hunting for a protective case for my Reader for a long time. I've found none that I like. However, Waterfield Designs has recently announced three cases for the Amazon Kindle. (See them here: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm).

Seeing this, I wrote to Waterfield to ask that they consider making a case for the Sony Reader. They seem very open to it, but they don't have a Reader at their disposal to design the case around. This is why I'm writing.

If there is someone in the San Francisco area who is willing to loan them a Reader to design the case, they will give you a free case in return. That's very exciting, and I'm hoping someone on these forums can do this for the community and get a free case for themselves in the process.

I'm currently communicating with Tanja at Waterfield Designs. If someone here is interested, I'll put the two of you in direct contact so that you can work out the details.

-ojleblanc
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Those look nice, perhaps someone here has a bricked Reader they could part with
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
If they are to make a case specifically for the Sony Reader, it should use the "clip" system, rather than Velcro or straps. Tell them I said so, and note that I herd cats with ease and grace.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
ojleblanc
Enthusiast

Well, I guess this isn't going to work, as no one has indicated they are in the SF area and can or are willing to to loan Waterfield their Reader. I"ll let them know. Perhaps they can acquire a Reader some other way. I'll pass along any information I get...
Old 05-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #5
JanetCinNC
Groupie
JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JanetCinNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 650 in red, Sony PRS-600 in red, Sony PRS-505 in red, iPad 2
The cases I saw at the link you provided are just sleeves. It doesn't seem such a thing would require heavy engineering nor a working device. Couldn't they try contacting Sony about buying a dead device for their design work or just use an old 500 for the fit? The outer dimensions of the devices are pretty close.
JanetCinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojleblanc View Post
Hi all,

I have been hunting for a protective case for my Reader for a long time. I've found none that I like. However, Waterfield Designs has recently announced three cases for the Amazon Kindle. (See them here: http://www.sfbags.com/products/kindle/kindlecase.htm).

Seeing this, I wrote to Waterfield to ask that they consider making a case for the Sony Reader. They seem very open to it, but they don't have a Reader at their disposal to design the case around. This is why I'm writing.

If there is someone in the San Francisco area who is willing to loan them a Reader to design the case, they will give you a free case in return. That's very exciting, and I'm hoping someone on these forums can do this for the community and get a free case for themselves in the process.

I'm currently communicating with Tanja at Waterfield Designs. If someone here is interested, I'll put the two of you in direct contact so that you can work out the details.

-ojleblanc
Great find! I need a case for travelling. I think this will work out for me.

I just bought a leather case from Sony but this will work for airport duty.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:09 PM   #7
ojleblanc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetCinNC View Post
The cases I saw at the link you provided are just sleeves. It doesn't seem such a thing would require heavy engineering nor a working device. Couldn't they try contacting Sony about buying a dead device for their design work or just use an old 500 for the fit? The outer dimensions of the devices are pretty close.

I don't think they need a working device, and I'm sure they can get the dimensions online. I imagine they wanted an actual device in hand to ensure proper fit for a quality product. Hopefully, they can get one in hand so that they can make a case/sleeve for the Reader. I'm very interested in buying one.