Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Why you must be at your desk when the Muse arrives

I think inspiration often results in the best work. I wrote a new essay this morning in basically the time it took to type it. Only minor corrections and posted on my blog. There are those that say the writer is only a conduit sometimes I believe it whether the source is the unconscious, the muse, or something else and I've said recently that Writing is a drug, embrace it. I felt the flow this morning. I love it when that happens. It has happened quite a bit for my poetry but only rarely with my prose.

{Link removed at request of moderators}

Last edited by kennyc; 09-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I've had a few ideas that disappeared because I didn't get to the computer or a notebook in time to write them down. I like to believe that these are ideas that wouldn't have gone far anyway. My justification for that is that most of my inspirations that develop into something are things that stick even if I try to ignore them. (And I hold on tightly to that justification to avoid the regret over a lost inspiration .)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I don't believe in waiting around for inspiration, but when it happens it is wonderful there is nothing like it when you get into 'the flow' - that is the drug. But the other part, and most of the time it's just putting one foot in front of the other to keep moving.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Your post reminded me of a quote Kennyc and while I was looking for the 1st one I found another good one to do with writing by the same author.

"I'll never forget this idea," is the Devil's whisper. Keep everything that matters in your notebook.
~Richard Bach

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.
~Richard Bach
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
kennyc

Yep. I carry a pocket notebook in my rear pocket but could/should/maybe probably start using my audio recorder on my phone... paper just seems so much more tangible though.

That small notebook is where many of my ideas start, I transfer them to my journal and sometimes expand them before going (or not....many ideas just sit there) to the computer.
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yep. I carry a pocket notebook in my rear pocket but could/should/maybe probably start using my audio recorder on my phone... paper just seems so much more tangible though.

That small notebook is where many of my ideas start, I transfer them to my journal and sometimes expand them before going (or not....many ideas just sit there) to the computer.
I think it's part of the psychology of writing. An idea just seems more real if it's written down.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Use a smart-phone or a tablet or an e-reader with note-taking capability, and that idea can immediately become a thousand words, and you don't have to type it all in afterwards...

Of course, the spelling is atrocious.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I loved my Touch Pro2's keyboard. 5 lines, offset keys, great feedback tilted for comfort, and no learning curve. I'd forget my head in the morning if it weren't screwed on, so I don't even try to remember. That keyboard saved tons of stuff for me, far more conveniently than anything I've ever used. And not just snippets or cues, full text, often while walking full pace in a nearby park. I can't do that with paper. I miss that qwerty like crazy.

The bluetooth thumb qwerty market is worthless, utter crap. I spent months pouring through hundreds of models before I gave up looking. I'm trying to get used to onscreen keyboards, but I'm not a fan. I use swiftkey and it's better than anything else I've used, and the voice recog is surprisingly handy, but I wouldn't use it in public. I may start carrying paper again too, reluctantly.

Some of my favorite ideas pop up when there's no desk, because there's no desk.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
You are so right, KC. Inspiration is wonderful when it strikes. But being at one's desk is not to be discounted.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Drake View Post
You are so right, KC. Inspiration is wonderful when it strikes. But being at one's desk is not to be discounted.
Oh I agree completely! That's exactly what I meant by the subject title.
It's more important in fact, see my other posts above
or in other threads or ....

I believe in doing the work. War of Art!
it just the way it is.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

And writing is work. Anyone who says that there isn't work involved in coming up with a work of fiction has probably never tried to create one.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Raduz
Raduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheeseRaduz can extract oil from cheese

Device: PRS-505, Kobo Glo
I don't remember which well known writer said something like this: "I absolutely believe that a writer should write only when kissed by a Muse. I have an agreement with mine - she kisses me every morning at 9:00 sharp."
Raduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #13
kennyc

This is the one I've heard:

"Someone once asked Somerset Maughham if he wrote on a schedule or only when struck by inspiration. "I write only when inspiration strikes," he replied. "Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp."

“Don't wait for the muse. As I've said, he's a hardheaded guy who's not susceptible to a lot of creative fluttering. This isn't the Ouija board or the spirit-world we're talking about here, but just another job like laying pipe or driving long-haul trucks. Your job is to make sure the muse knows where you're going to be every day from nine 'til noon. or seven 'til three. If he does know, I assure you that sooner or later he'll start showing up.”
― Stephen King, On Writing
Old 11-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
xxxxxx
xxxxxx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

good idea - audio
can you imagine that, you walk...busy street.... you have thoughts.....switch on your audio.... and start talk with yourself....
xxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I can't remember if it was Somerset Maughham or Sinclair Lewis, but I remember reading about a would be author who studied under one or the other and when they showed their work to the author they were advised to cut the 1st 74 pages or so. When they protested that they had to set the scene the author said "For 74 pages? If I want a travelogue I'll get National Geographic, not a novel." His point was to get to telling the story asap. Story was action.