Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #16
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not available in Canada yet, too bad.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Based on their introductory selection, it seems unlikely Kindle First will ever offer a book that I actually want to read. Pity that.

On the nether hand, that's a fetching picture of Gamayun, discopig. Where are Sirin and Alkonost?

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-02-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
No rational person.
But there are people running WordPerfect for DOS on 286's out there.
Some of them at the BPHs, too.
Don't underestimate people's aversion to switch paradigms.
I know a guy who runs Wordstar...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I know someone who as of two years ago did his business accounting on an Apple II. Don't remember the exact model-IIe, I think. Anyway his reason made perfect sense to me-it did everything he needed, no longer had a learning curve, and was fully paid for. I started with a Kaypro I running CP/M with Wordstar and kept my accounts in a hand-written ledger. The accounting entry took longer but I never had nearly as many problems as I've had since 'upgrading' to a computerized accounting system. Of course my accounting also got more complex so it's hard to say what caused the problems. Sometimes I think I should just go back to doing things by hand-if only I had the time any more.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I have a fully functional Atari 800, circa 1978, and Atari Word Processor cartridge. Every once in a long while I hook it up to play M.U.L.E. and Pac Man with the sibs. Those things were over-engineered like M1A1s. Or original HP LaserJets. Those things will still be running after the asteroid impact.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-03-2013 at 07:46 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #21
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
I use WordPerfect 5.1 for editing bibliographic records. Excellent text processor.

Nothing offered this month really appeals to me. Hopefully there will be other categories in the future.

On the other hand, these are free, so guess I really shouldn't complain about the selection.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
How interesting. Baen also has an advance ebook system - eARCs. But they charge more for the early access ($15 vs $9.99), even though the text isn't the final, copy-edited, text.

I do hope Amazon roll this out in the UK as well as in the US.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
How interesting. Baen also has an advance ebook system - eARCs. But they charge more for the early access ($15 vs $9.99), even though the text isn't the final, copy-edited, text.

I do hope Amazon roll this out in the UK as well as in the US.
The objectives are different: BAEN eARCs are fan service, giving early access to the "thousand true fans" that would be buying (and reading) the book anyway, whereas Amazon is using the free/cheap ebooks as a sweetener for their Prime subscriptions and to promote the ebook to customers who otherwise might not even know of the book, much less buy it. (You have to subscribe to the newsletter to get the books, so it's closer to a book club.) There is no guarantee of when, or if, the Amazon First freebies will get read, whereas eARCs are a lock to be read ASAP.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Free books = Win!
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #25
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
I have a fully functional Atari 800, circa 1978, and Atari Word Processor cartridge. Every once in a long while I hook it up to play M.U.L.E. and Pac Man with the sibs. Those things were over-engineered like M1A1s. Or original HP LaserJets. Those things will still be running after the asteroid impact.
M.U.L.E. is my favorite computer game of all time! It is so simple, yet so addictive.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
M.U.L.E. is my favorite computer game of all time! It is so simple, yet so addictive.
Agreed.
Competition, collaboration, wheeling and dealing, backstabbing, twitch reflex action, luck and planning all factor in. And a full game *always* takes exactly one hour. The peak of computer gaming came early.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #27
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Agreed.
Competition, collaboration, wheeling and dealing, backstabbing, twitch reflex action, luck and planning all factor in. And a full game *always* takes exactly one hour. The peak of computer gaming came early.
Wait! You just described my day job...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I got Things We Set On Fire, as long as it's free.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #29
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I got Silent Echo for free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silent Echo.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	114661  
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #30
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
No rational person.
But there are people running WordPerfect for DOS on 286's out there.
Some of them at the BPHs, too.
Don't underestimate people's aversion to switch paradigms.
Ah.... reveal codes...

While I much prefer LaTeX to WP, I have to say that for simple document editing, nothing beat WP w/ reveal codes turn on. Unfortunately they had a hard time making the jump to a proper presentation vs. content division, such as Word's (horribly implemented) paragraph styles, not to mention v6.0 was a disaster -- after v5.1 it was all downhill for them.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote